Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The first "Want to Work" Masterclass delivered at The Amex

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I should probably point out that I was making a bit of a sweeping generalisation that certainly doesn’t apply to all but I can only speak from my own experiences and friends experiences. I suggest that if you held a senior positions at ‘a global financial businesses’ your degree was probably applicable to your chosen career.

I feel for people in a similar situation to yourself as your skills are probably very specific to the jobs you are experienced, so sorry for chucking you in the same pigeon hole as people I know and perceive to be a touch lazy or unwilling to find work. Please accept my apology!

No need to apologise was just trying to explain why it isn't so easy to downgrade jobs ... sounds simple but it isn't. Actually my skills aren't specific, what you call General Management I guess but I do know that every job I see advertised is getting well over 200 applying, likely all suitably qualified so it becomes a lottery.

Anyway won't labour it just that clown likes a dig at unemployed of which I'm one, thankfully I don't fall into the same ignorance bracket

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would work as somebody's dogsbody for £ 6 ph and after applying for around 4 jobs a week for 2 years have given up now as you never hear f*** all back from anyone so there comes a point when you think " what's the point in even trying anymore " I reckon quite a few people in this country have now reached this point.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
It seems to Me that there maybe a few people that post on NSC are unemployed. Not sure it's been done or even if it's a good idea being it's a football forum, but if people were to put a few details of the kind of work they are looking for, maybe someone might know of or need that person to work for them.

Waits for the slagging off for being a dumb idea.

D

Deleted member 22389

I would work as somebody's dogsbody for £ 6 ph and after applying for around 4 jobs a week for 2 years have given up now as you never hear f*** all back from anyone so there comes a point when you think " what's the point in even trying anymore " I reckon quite a few people in this country have now reached this point.

I think that is so disrespectful when companies don't bother to respond to applicants.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think that is so disrespectful when companies don't bother to respond to applicants.

From around 200 applications in the last 2 years.

Responses 0

That is why I have given up now. I mean what's the f***ing point ? It is a waste of time so why even bother trying anymore and considering I have professional qualifications equivalent to 4 A Levels I am no numpty and have applied for jobs well below my capabilites and I mean that in no way as disrepectful to the people that do them like working on the tills, delivering flowers and pizza's and cleaning offices so it's not as though I am being choosy. I would like to think with my work I do I can and do deliver results I am more than capable so to be kicking a can down the street is totally soul destroying.

Net result - f*** all. Not a reply, barely an ackowledgement and no offer or even interviews.

So I can understand that there are large swathes of people that after 4 years of this shit have given up and I have to say, I can't really blame them.

Last edited:

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Net result - f*** all. Not a reply, barely an ackowledgement and no offer or even interviews.

Sounds like the problem iv'e found with the National Trust. All over their website they claim there all about 'people' and yet they dont even acknowledge your application let alone have a chance of an interview. Fair enough i might not be a suitable candidate but ffs how hard can it be to set up an automated email system in large organisation like this to say 'thanks for applying' or summit, every other fucker has!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

NONE of them reply. It is like you are a piece of shit on the bottom of their shoe.

Responses 0

That is why I have given up now. I mean what's the f***ing point ? It is a waste of time so why even bother trying anymore and considering I have professional qualifications equivalent to 4 A Levels I am no numpty and have applied for jobs well below my capabilites and I mean that in no way as disrepectful to the people that do them like working on the tills, delivering flowers and pizza's and cleaning offices so it's not as though I am being choosy. I would like to think with my work I do I can and do deliver results I am more than capable so to be kicking a can down the street is totally soul destroying.

So I can understand that there are large swathes of people that after 4 years of this shit have given up and I have to say, I can't really blame them.

Why rely on others to employ you. Start up your own business. Use you imagination. Can't get a job really means I wont get a job. Don't give up as I'm sure that you are a better person than those who have.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Got my figures wrong. 10 Brits turned up. 2 left when the word work was mentioned, 3 fell asleep, 2 got drunk and tried to start a fight and the others haven't been seen since.

Hugo, what have you been taking ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Why rely on others to employ you. Start up your own business. Use you imagination. Can't get a job really means I wont get a job. Don't give up as I'm sure that you are a better person than those who have.

I don't I have been self employed relying on my own wits for 10 years, infact a lot of people have made a lot of money off the back of me for the last decade.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Responses 0

sorry have to say, there must be something very wrong with your CV or approach. you should be at least getting interviews even if just to make up the numbers. not getting responces, and especially after interviews, is the most demoralising thing.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
sorry have to say, there must be something very wrong with your CV or approach. you should be at least getting interviews even if just to make up the numbers. not getting responces, and especially after interviews, is the most demoralising thing.

A cv for delivering pizza's and flowers ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I think this is common in this part of the World and seen many reports on tv of blokes around 50 who have applied for over a thousand jobs and got no replies. I think if you are male, 50 or over, you do not exist anymore and are surplus to requirements. You are either " too old " or " over qualified ", the 2 main things that prevent you getting anywhere.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Here we go again !!!! You don't post as Arkwright as well do you ? I ask as he also has a simpleton's view of being out of work and job hunting.

While a well tailored CV will always help the biggest issue currently is the number of people going for each vacancy. Where I work we had a vacancy last year that had 600 applicants ! Oh - getting past the idiot job agencies is also a challenge.

I think this is common in this part of the World and seen many reports on tv of blokes around 50 who have applied for over a thousand jobs and got no replies. I think if you are male, 50 or over, you do not exist anymore and are surplus to requirements. You are either " too old " or " over qualified ", the 2 main things that prevent you getting anywhere.

Completely agree and those two phrases are by far the most frustrating when you're looking for work. PS - you still owe me an email :thumbsup:

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't I have been self employed relying on my own wits for 10 years, infact a lot of people have made a lot of money off the back of me for the last decade.

You're not referring to your horseracing tips are you US? Most of them are still running.

D

Deleted member 22389

NONE of them reply. It is like you are a piece of shit on the bottom of their shoe.

It certainly does nothing to help peoples confidence whatsoever. I completely understand where you are coming from here. The amount of people who say the same thing as you, applied for job and never even got a response. Something will come up eventually. Hang in there.

My wife has applied for a few new posts in teaching. They require so much. She usually spends the whole day on one application. The last one required two sides of A4 page explaining what she should bring to the school, how she could improve the department, and anything else to back up the application, and on top of this a massive application form.

We even sent the application via Special Delivery to make sure it got there. Not even a reply, not one single email. And being a school I would expect much better. It's disgusting. It's not the way you should treat people. I felt like emailing and phoning them to complain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It certainly does nothing to help peoples confidence whatsoever. I completely understand where you are coming from here. The amount of people who say the same thing as you, applied for job and never even got a response. Something will come up eventually. Hang in there.

My wife has applied for a few new posts in teaching. They require so much. She usually spends the whole day on one application. The last one required two sides of A4 page explaining what she should bring to the school, how she could improve the department, and anything else to back up the application, and on top of this a massive application form.

We even sent the application via Special Delivery to make sure it got there. Not even a reply, not one single email. And being a school I would expect much better. It's disgusting. It's not the way you should treat people. I felt like emailing and phoning them to complain.

When I got blown out for the Amex Tour guide role, a job I would have been very good at and really wanted to be part of the club in a very bleak period in my life, I did the interview and then heard nothing. I chased it up and was told they had appointed the people they wanted, so basically f*** off and had " forgotten " to tell me. I only found out the outcome as I persisted with them. They were not even going to let me know. When I did get a reply to my e mail it was addressed " dear candidate " not even my own name which they had as I had an interview. Being treated like this was a body blow to me and I let them know in no uncertain terms what I thought. Since then I have had nothing so assume they have now taken me off their jobs list. This is just one example of the way you are treated. At least I got an interview but to get nothing at all from hundreds of applications makes you feel like shit and I know there are loads of people like me going through this. Something has gone wrong in this country with common human decency and courtesy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here