Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The first crack in Graham Potter's calm demeanour?

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
I've been watching...

Free-kicks on the halfway line kicked back to the keeper
The crosses with no-one on the end
Locadia playing in the Premier League!
Bissouma's shots at the crowd
The corners which don't get past the first man
Free-kicks on the halfway line kicked back to the keeper - did I mention those?
The missed tap-ins
The struggles against out-of-form teams

Of course, there has been some great stuff too - but plenty to get frustrated about. (And that's just the on-field stuff)

Glass half empty type of person to say the least. Jeez... there is no one in the Country who can't se we are playing the best football we ever have.. apart from you sad moaners

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
I don’t get to the Amex to much these days for a few reasons. I did go to Everton & Newcastle. Everton we were all over the place, Newcastle second half was diabolical and In all honesty I could only see one winner luckily Sanchez put the team before himself. Villa away Potter made diabolical subs which cost the game & Leeds told its own story we couldn’t beat a really crap team again at the Amex.

I was wondering if you are referring to this football we have been playing?

Dangerous Idiot... maybe drop the dangerous bit.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Not so much not watching, but for some the football is almost irrelevant to the result, like the 2 aren't actually linked. There is no enjoyment of the game itself without the result. It's quantum physics in a way, that the flow of time during a game isn't the thing that shapes the result at the end. The Cult of Potter is replaced with the Cult of the Result.

The media has largely caused this. While football is a 'results business' for owners, sponsors and investors who want a return on investment, it shouldn't be for fans, we are in the 'supporting our team' business, which is through thick and thin. I kind of get sick and tired of fans referring to 'it is a results business' because you may as well be wearing a Sky jacket and be part of the evil empire rather than the rebellion.

Yep. The Cult of the Result don't actually seem to like the game of football. They just want to win. Maybe even win ugly. I like football. When its played well it IS a beautiful game. And lately we have been playing the most beautiful football we ever had. Its a joy to watch.

These moaners obviously don't actually like the game. Or maybe they like moaning more than football.

After playing so well can understand Potters spur of moment comments straight after game but dont understand why he continued the theme on later interviews

Because journalists, doing their job getting something we would all talk about, have not stopped asking him about it I reckon. I imagine by now he would be much preferring to go back to the usual bland press conferences that many of us have fallen asleep to in recent years. My opinion of Potter has slightly gone up, not because I think it's a particularly well chosen course to have minor beef with the few boo boys, but because it was just nice to get a bit more of an insight into his personality which he usually hides very well behind his very cagey platitudes

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The disconcerting and disorientating start the season seems to be over.

Back to the cold comfort of NSC at each other throats and trying to persuade each other that things are great/terrible (delete as appropriate).

If it is about the quality of football we are playing then in the Liverpool and Leeds games we have surely seen some of our best ever?

If it is about the results then surely we are sitting in a better position than we have (mostly) ever been

Premier League Table.png

As frustrating as it watching us at the moment, it is a frustration that I am not sure I would swap for any other in our history (I know I know, i am not allowed to mention where we came from).

Perhaps it is a case of being patient and waiting for the final piece of the jigsaw. Moves appear to be being made to solve out goal scoring problem.

The club haven't done too badly for us fans in the last few years.

Hold your nerve.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Glass half empty type of person to say the least. Jeez... there is no one in the Country who can't se we are playing the best football we ever have.. apart from you sad moaners
Well I don't even think we're playing the best football of the Graham Potter era.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I don't even think we're playing the best football of the Graham Potter era.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

You are not wrong, it’s the price we are paying for GP being more pragmatic in his set up. We seldom look out of place against any team now, that means that we are improving imo. I doubt there’s many fans of clubs outside the top 3 who aren’t frustrated by their team far more often than overjoyed at their performances

We are in a bad run of form but have only lost two games recently :shrug:

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Why is it not ok to criticise your own players or the ref in public, but it’s just fine and dandy to have a pop at the fans?

TB

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Why is it not ok to criticise your own players or the ref in public, but it’s just fine and dandy to have a pop at the fans?

TB

If you publicly criticise your team then you can probably expect their manager to respond.

An unfortunate incident has been somewhat blown out of proportion. We should probably all try and move past it now.

Gotta love the drama though, if we can't have goals, lets enjoy the drama. :lol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If you publicly criticise your team then you can probably expect their manager to respond.

An unfortunate incident has been somewhat blown out of proportion. We should probably all try and move past it now.

Gotta love the drama though, if we can't have goals, lets enjoy the drama. :lol:

No I swear I saw that four day old rotting horse carcass take another breath. Lets flog it!

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Not surprised you had to deflect :rolleyes:

Villa away Potter made diabolical subs which cost the game & Leeds told its own story we couldn’t beat a really crap team again at the Amex.

I was wondering if you are referring to this football we have been playing?

So lets get this right. You expect the manager and players to be completely perfect. Never make make mistakes or have off days. Because of course you never do.:rolleyes:

And when they do.. despite us mainly playing the best football we've ever played and having had the best start to a season ever... You choose to moan about it.

OK. Got you.

has anyone looked at the league table today? yes we are ninth but now only three points from 15th place Leeds. With tonights difficult match and others coming up we could easily be bottom 5 by Christmas. I think this gives fans who paid their hard earned to go to the match the right for a little protest statement. Ive seen several comments from pundits looking at the "sitters" Maupay and a few other missed and all suggest we could be sitting in 4th on 24 points.

One final point that puts the poor run into perspective - only THREE teams have scored less than our 12 goals (bizarrely one being Spurs). Even bottom team Newcastle have 16 goals

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
has anyone looked at the league table today? yes we are ninth but now only three points from 15th place Leeds. With tonights difficult match and others coming up we could easily be bottom 5 by Christmas. I think this gives fans who paid their hard earned to go to the match the right for a little protest statement. Ive seen several comments from pundits looking at the "sitters" Maupay and a few other missed and all suggest we could be sitting in 4th on 24 points.

One final point that puts the poor run into perspective - only THREE teams have scored less than our 12 goals (bizarrely one being Spurs). Even bottom team Newcastle have 16 goals

So your justification for booing is where we could be in the future at Christmas. "I'm not booing because we're 9th, I'm booing for where we might be after Christmas!". That is brilliant. :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
has anyone looked at the league table today? yes we are ninth but now only three points from 15th place Leeds. With tonights difficult match and others coming up we could easily be bottom 5 by Christmas. I think this gives fans who paid their hard earned to go to the match the right for a little protest statement. s

If you're bothered about value for money, don't go to sport and just go to the cinema or something

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Our goals for column does not make pleasant reading. It is a minor miracle that we are 9th having scored 12 in 13. Even more so when we are rightly no longer considered to be a defensive team.

We had the run in 2020 when we hardly won at home, I think lockdown actuality saved us from relegation. I don’t care how much more pleasing on the eye our football is when we don’t score goals it is a knife edge to going the other way.

It is not GP’s fault that the club has FAILED to sign a EPL standard striker in 4 transfer windows. Exception being Welbeck who is the desired quality but was a gamble due to injuries as is being proven by the games he keeps missing.

Leeds was not the game to vent frustration though as I thought we were excellent. Villa on the other hand was a complete shit show in terms attacking play, I’d of understood if the team had got the bird after that one, unlikely at aways though.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Yep. The Cult of the Result don't actually seem to like the game of football. They just want to win. Maybe even win ugly. I like football. When its played well it IS a beautiful game. And lately we have been playing the most beautiful football we ever had. Its a joy to watch.

These moaners obviously don't actually like the game. Or maybe they like moaning more than football.

This is very subjective. Obviously, it was a lower standard, but I would say the year we pissed League One was more beautiful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So your justification for booing is where we could be in the future at Christmas. "I'm not booing because we're 9th, I'm booing for where we might be after Christmas!". That is brilliant. :lolol:

Get in early - avoid the rush.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here