Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The first crack in Graham Potter's calm demeanour?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Potter is always about performances and those who booed were presumably booing the result, not the performance. He's correct in saying that his squad are performing very well considering the budget of the club and the teams that we are up against. It would be my guess that the booers have no complaints about league position, about young, talented players playing tactically flexible, progressive football. I reckon that virtually all are probably 100% behind the medium to long term project.

What he is not understanding is that for many who don't have his expertise to judge performances and improvement, watching this team generally look brilliant, but win less than 25% of home league matches for over two years is a bit psychologically draining. We are all Phil Connors waking up every morning to Sonny & Cher and some fans just seem to have reached the point when it feels like a good idea to steal Punxsutawney Phil and drive a truck off a cliff. I wouldn't join them, but it doesn't take someone with a postgraduate qualification in leadership and emotional intelligence to understand that their action was motivated by the same frustration and disappointment that he would have seen in his dressing room and to react to it in the same way.

And on some level I think the booing was about the clubs inability to remediate our shortcomings (demonstrated by having to field a player who was poor for Cincinatti).

But I agree, I think the groundhog day performances where we have tonnes of possession, do loads right but don't score might be having a cumulative effect.

I also think the Palace home game last season left more of a trauma with the fan base than is being accounted for. The sort of wound which you can understand the effect of much more as a long term fan than a manager. The thought of us going into the same fixture again but with a similar outcome is too much to bear.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If you weren't booing, he wasn't including you in that.

I felt the same frustrations as those booing, and it is the history of my club, he is using to minimise the failure to score, and failure to win, again. The again part is really important, it was a build up of having hopes dashed repeatedly.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
We have had players criticised on here, back room staff criticised on here, some quite severely, many times without comment.

Yet a few fans boo and it’s like the end of the world has arrived.

TB

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Those comments werent his finest moment and I think if it was after night sleep or non-sleep he would have said it in a different way but I think he was baffled and frustrated because he knows he is working with humans (or players, as others call them) and booing has an effect on them which is something he will need to spend time and energy sorting out. Its a bit Pavlovian: if your players work really, really hard and play great football and then get booed after the game, they are naturally less motivated to put down the same effort again and he will be the one who needs to reverse that effect. He want players to have that 10% extra motivation to play for the fans, he want players to have that 10% extra reason to sign a new contract, he wants players to gain that extra advantage from sleeping at night rather than think "am I going to get booed again? In front of friends and family?".

It has seriously negative consequences, which is why GP gets pissed because it can have some negative effect on the team. Some people are saying "well, he's lucky he's not in Spurs, Arsenal or United where they boo all the time"... sure, that is a comparison you can make - but what all those three clubs have in common is that their players seem to hate the club, the fans and themselves which seem to have some negative effect on their performances, leaving them in what seems to be an eternal loop of shit. I dont think those teams & fans should be the role model for anyone.

Having seen your video from Sweden, he's been there before and I wonder whether he was trying to raise the issue to get some fans to gain some perspective and nip it in the bud.

Time will tell whether they have.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Having seen your video from Sweden, he's been there before and I wonder whether he was trying to raise the issue to get some fans to gain some perspective and nip it in the bud.

Time will tell whether they have.

GP's comments are not going to nip anything in the bud. The comments were needlessly confrontational and antagonistic and they'll only pile the pressure on to him and his players.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I was frustrated, I'm sure most were, but I didn't boo, or even think about booing, it is a pathetic, unreasonable and disproportionate reaction. Thankfully the vast majority felt the same way.

As you say, Potter is well versed in 'emotional intelligence' so will appreciate the kind of effect that has on the team, i.e. completely counter-productive. That's why he reacted the way he did, he has the teams best interest in mind, as should we do as fans.

He should want the fans onside as well, and telling us effectively to remember where we came from, is not the way to do it.
I am happy to condemn booing as counter productive and disrespectful to the players, that they gave a good performance, just don't tell us that because we were once more shit than we are currently, we shouldn't be frustrated at watching chance after chance go begging, and failing to win, again.
I think bringing Locadia on, in a game where the only problem you are having is poor finishing, didn't help either.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Good for them. I have no idea why that is relevant to what I posted.

Potters reaction has made it into an all fans issue, I certainly didn't hear him thanking any of us for the support throughout the game. I could have a Potter style rant about how I don't understand his reaction at the end, fans came out on a cold night, for a game that was on the big screen in their local pub, sang and supported throughout the game, and to be told we don't understand football and should be grateful to witness another frustrating draw, perhaps I need a football lesson, I always thought goals were important.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Potter has apparently now "doubled down" on his comments and spoken about the team and staff sticking together in the absence of support from fans.

I'm not sure if this is what people have already been discussing on here but this line is a massive over-reaction from GP that I don't like.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Potter has apparently now "doubled down" on his comments and spoken about the team and staff sticking together in the absence of support from fans.

I'm not sure if this is what people have already been discussing on here but this line is a massive over-reaction from GP that I don't like.

He's got to get something from his team.

Although it is a tad disappointing that a man with a degree in Leadership and Emotional Intelligence has to resort too 'Jose Day 1' to get a response.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I really like GP and I haven't heard this comment or seen it reported other than in the quote above - but if he really has said that then sadly he has made himself look like a bit of tit.

Hopefully, he didn't say it and as usual it will be me looking like a bit of a tit.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Sauce?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really like GP and I haven't heard this comment or seen it reported other than in the quote above - but if he really has said that then sadly he has made himself look like a bit of tit.

Hopefully, he didn't say it and as usual it will be me looking like a bit of a tit.

No talk of playing golf from this GP yet though

Must say I think Potter is being given very little slack for one “in the heat of the moment” comment from a number of NSCers

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Probably refering to this

[tweet]1465267129280827394[/tweet]

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Potters reaction has made it into an all fans issue, I certainly didn't hear him thanking any of us for the support throughout the game. I could have a Potter style rant about how I don't understand his reaction at the end, fans came out on a cold night, for a game that was on the big screen in their local pub, sang and supported throughout the game, and to be told we don't understand football and should be grateful to witness another frustrating draw, perhaps I need a football lesson, I always thought goals were important.

I'm afraid you might - only the performance matters, not the result! If the performance is all right, then we should all be delighted because 22 years ago we were utter toilet. Of course, 20 years ago we were on our way to winning the first of 2 (TWO) league titles consecutively. Not that it's relevant, but our esteemed manager thinks it is. Personally, I thought he came across as a prat in the interview but I've never bought into the cult of Potter. I think his tenure will be pretty quickly forgotten once he finally departs.

I haven't enjoyed watching his team play at least 90% of the time and I haven't enjoyed his press conferences 99% of the time. Every time I hear him speak I wonder how he could possibly motivate a dressing room. He had a real chance to say something meaningful after we beat City and Pep had a tantrum, but he immediately went into wet blanket mode and apologised for having done nothing wrong at all.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Over reaction from a small number of grumpy, cold, frustrated whoppers.

Over reaction from GP. He was totally wrong to bring up the history thing. He should've said something positive about the majority IMO.

Over reaction from the media.

Over reaction from posters like me on websites like NSC.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

If he thinks a siege mentality and getting the players to prove the fans wrong is going to get a result, he should carry on.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I'm afraid you might - only the performance matters, not the result! If the performance is all right, then we should all be delighted because 22 years ago we were utter toilet. Of course, 20 years ago we were on our way to winning the first of 2 (TWO) league titles consecutively. Not that it's relevant, but our esteemed manager thinks it is. Personally, I thought he came across as a prat in the interview but I've never bought into the cult of Potter. I think his tenure will be pretty quickly forgotten once he finally departs.

I haven't enjoyed watching his team play at least 90% of the time and I haven't enjoyed his press conferences 99% of the time. Every time I hear him speak I wonder how he could possibly motivate a dressing room. He had a real chance to say something meaningful after we beat City and Pep had a tantrum, but he immediately went into wet blanket mode and apologised for having done nothing wrong at all.

You should go back to your other hobby :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here