Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The fire in Derby - parents arrested (merged)

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Tragic story, but am surprised that the BBC reporter (Greig Watson) says in his story..."There is soot on the front of the house and two open windows. It doesn't seem enough to account for the deaths of five children".

I know two people have been arrested , but very strange for the BBC to make such early comments.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My God, they have arrested the two parents of the 6 kiddies that died in that fire

I can't believe this.

BBC news have just reported it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Very odd ,what has gone on.

Pure speculation of course, but can only imagine they devised a plan to burn the house, in order to obtain better accommodation. A plan that has gone disastrously wrong and mis-judged how much petrol was required. No other reasons make any sense to me.

Then you would do it while the house was empty, you would NOT pour petrol through the letterbox and light it with 6 of your kids in the house. Scam gone wrong my arse, if found guilty of murder then nothing our laws can throw at them is enough.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I can believe it more than I can belive that Michael Owen is going to sign for Brighton and Hove Albion anytime soon....in fact...EVER!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Without wishing to comment directly on this case, aren't nearly all murders committed by family members? Very unlikely to be some random.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What's their account of where they were on the night of the fire?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Careful guys: and how does Steve Cotterill manage to be assistant chief constable AND manager of Portsmouth FC??

Speaking after the arrests, Assistant Chief Constable Steve Cotterill said: "In view of the arrests, I would urge anyone who may have been holding back, not felt comfortable to voice their concerns or not had the confidence, to do so now.

"The latest arrests are just one step further in the investigation. It is absolutely vital that if you know anything you think could help us, come forward now, do not wait any longer.

"What we need to do now is carefully take our time, question the two individuals concerned and piece it together with everything else we know to date."

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Without wishing to comment directly on this case, aren't nearly all murders committed by family members? Very unlikely to be some random.

I think the TV coverage etc and the vitriol they recieved as a result makes their case a bit different. Though point taken in general.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
Probably did not realise how much smoke would be given off by petrol burning indoors, or how quick it would fill his hall with flames. So so sad that children have parents that never think of them. Too busy being a waste of life.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Classic Police move get them in front of a camera and they drop their guard, has worked before with that Matthews scumbag from Yorkshire, Ian Huntley, Tracey Road Rage amongst others.

A sad indictment of our society, Kyle turned them into Z list celebs, and all perspective goes out of the window. Social services are partly to blame, the children had a shit life from day one so why weren't a number if not all of these kids taken into care, and fostered or adopted out to people who know how to bring up children properly?

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Not that I think it's fair to speculate, but he has a history of attention and perhaps was looking for more? There is a condition were people do incredible things to themselves.

If it was a scam, then it was really was 'playing with fire' gone horribly wrong.

"The family attracted attention in 2006 when Mr Philpott asked the council for a larger house to accommodate his wife, girlfriend and 14 children.

In 2007, former Conservative MP Ann Widdecombe spent a week living with the family as part of an ITV documentary and Mr Philpott also appeared on the Jeremy Kyle Show."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here