Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Final Chapter

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I haven't been able to finish a book in a year now, but i have just 18 pages of the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle to go. Its been 3 months to swallow 600 sheets of this soap operatic, spiritual, regular surrealism.
Last night i attempted to do the end, like a 40-year old widow might think, but my eyes passed shut before i could manage. I rather look forward to this evening and ask the brain to allow such a pleasing, but upsetting intake.

Any book's ending made you cry that you remember?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
brightonfan_86 said:
Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince, the ending hit me quite badly.

:lolol:

i dont know why that is funny

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
brightonfan_86 said:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Am reading Imperium by Robert Harris. EXCELLENT so far

Also i have an Alan Bennett memories book, A Terry Pratchett book, and another one my mum bought me for my birthday which i will read at some time...so I have lots:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
brightonfan_86 said:

INSTANT GOLD IN ONE RESPONSE.

:clap2: :lolol: :clap2: :lolol: :clap2:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
Am reading Imperium by Robert Harris. EXCELLENT so far

Was thinking about buying that one Dave, I take it you'd recommend it then?

Have read all his books, can't beat Fatherland IMHO, but I liked Pompeii too.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Meade's_Ball said:
Any book's ending made you cry that you remember?

The Time Traveller's Wife

Birdsong

On Green Dolphin Street

The Sterile Cuckoo

And more classically, several John Steinbecks, not least of all Of Mice and Men, the Grapes of Wrath and In Dubious Battle.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had about eleven pages of the utterly superb A Time to Die left to read (Wilbur Smith), but I LEFT it jammed down the side of my seat on the plane, so the bastard went back to GATWICK and left me stranded in Lanzarote with nothing to read while I went through Customs.

I stood in the library and read the ending when I got back.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Great Philosophers. Not many tears yet but quite interesting. Still about 500 pages to go.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
In a number of ways, i suppose, the end of a book is the same as the crippling farewell to an affair.
What's the gap betwixt it's death and the next's birth?

I think i would need a couple of weeks before i could next be flooded by something of a similar size. I could maybe dip my fingers in something thick and foul in the weekend after, but that would be shared moments rather than a lick of feeling.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Meade's_Ball said:
I have just 18 pages of the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle to go.

Great book, easily Murakami's best I reckon. Several years since I read it, can't remember the exact order of the ending... is he still down the well?!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Re: Re: The Final Chapter

bhafc99 said:
Great book, easily Murakami's best I reckon. Several years since I read it, can't remember the exact order of the ending... is he still down the well?!

:)

Well, he was dragged through the wall of the well into the hotel of mystery and disguise and the darkest truth he's concocted. His second visit there. Now there's the baseball bat and conversation to conclude their ways.
I just miss May Kasahara, now making wigs for the bald. She was a watchable teen always worth turning.

Not read any of his others. I think i will need a break though. So much of seemingly forgettable nothings later tied, all without glory, but still of tender interest.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I always feel a sense of loss after finishing a good book. It is the horns of a dilemma - you want to know what happens - but you do not want it to end.

Having said that - I don't have a book on the go at the moment. I have discovered an interest in trees - so spend the time before I sleep looking at that or trying to do a clue on the Observer Everyman.

Which Gwylam takes about two minutes to finish.

*gnash*

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:

Having said that - I don't have a book on the go at the moment. I have discovered an interest in trees -

My mum got a little upset with the Independent's failure to release the cedar in amongst its UK's Regular Trees poster. She quite likes their flowing arms. It was as if they'd left out the only uncle she'd ever talk to at family do's if our wider family didn't think we were southern fouls.

I cried when I finished Gullhanger by Mikw Ward. I couldn't believe I had wasted 7.99 and a few hours of my life that I could have spent doing something more enjoyable like sticking hot pins in my eyes.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Lokki 7 said:
I cried when I finished Gullhanger by Mikw Ward. I couldn't believe I had wasted 7.99 and a few hours of my life that I could have spent doing something more enjoyable like sticking hot pins in my eyes.

:lolol: :lolol:
Very good. No respite for the Wardmeister.

I agree with DKM, a really good book ending leaves you feeling strangely let-down - there is nowhere to go.

I got that feeling after reading James Patterson's The Beach House on holiday last week. It would be a magnificent film - if it hasn't been one already. I'm sure I've read another one of his called Beach Road, set in the same kind of area, so while he wins few points for originality the House one is a cracking read.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here