The films of Steven Spielberg

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Good or crap? Discuss.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A few days ago this thread would have run for pages and turned into a binfest with potential flounces, as it is it's gonna sink without trace.

This may even be the last post on this thread :lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ha! I feel like I'd be cheating on our good friend US if I was to comment further.

ET is shit though.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Close Encounters - brilliant
Jaws - brilliant
ET - shite

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I'm waiting for his highly anticipated biopic of Desert Orchid, with Christian Bale playing the title role.

I'm sure come awards season it would Winalot.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Didn't he do the Goonies? That was a brilliant film and the post production effects were second to none

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
He went downhill after Jaws

jaws_eating_captain_quint.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Didn't he do the Goonies? That was a brilliant film and the post production effects were second to none

He wrote the story. Chris Columbus wrote the screenplay. Richard Donner directed. Fantastic film.

I don't think Spielberg has made a great film in a while. Minority Report was ok, Saving Private Ryan did nothing for me. I've not seen schindler's list. Jaws is a masterpiece. He has played a part, ranging from director, to producer, to writer etc in some fantastic pieces of cinema.
Just look at his bio:

Steven Spielberg

I challenge to look over that list and not find one that you absolutely love.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

He will be seething. I can hear doors being slammed in Southwick from here.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Quality efforts: Jaws, The Color Purple, and Empire of the Sun.

That's about it, with Schindlers List next up, and most of the rest dross albeit fairly entertaining dross like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
He has made some classic films but his his tendency to veer towards mawkish sentimentality can ruin his best efforts. I thought Private Ryan was a great fil except fro the epilogue by the grave. Similaraly Schindlers List was let down by the end scenes.

I prefer it when he goes for suspense and terror a la Jaws, Jurassic PArk et al. Bit of yer Francais there.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I challenge to look over that list and not find one that you absolutely love.

But how many of those films that he was 'Producer' of did he actually produce, i.e. get the financing together, hire the director and other key crew members, and oversee the shooting, cutting, distribution, etc...?

And how many are mates' movies that he just agreed to stick his name on to give them some extra clout to get them made...?

Of his directorial efforts I'd say Catch Me if You Can is my favourite. It's a rare example of him hitting the right level that he is genuinely good at. When he goes too lightwieght it ends up deliberately sentimental and mawkish; when he goes to serious it ends up acidentally sentimental and mawkish. If all his films were like CMIYC I might even be a fan...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Must remember to add more irony in future posts

Talking of which I saw two great films a while ago:

Schindlers Fist

and Shaving Ryans Privates.

Spielberg at his very best ably assisted by a fab sountrack that included a remix of the sale of the century these music on a stylophone

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
That scene with the air traffic controller in Close Encounters has always stood out for me: it's a scene consisting of nothing but a bloke talking while looking at a screen. And yet somehow he makes it hugely eerie and suspenseful. Great film-making.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here