Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The FA Cup

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I know GP is like a kid on Christmas when the FA Cup comes around

What, he eats chocolate for breakfast and then spends the rest of the day messaging friends on his phone and not talking to anybody? Odd behaviour for a grown man.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Given the injury situation, I won’t be too bent out of shape if we don’t progress in the cup this year. Sad state of affairs but life’s tough in the Prem.

For my (new as of 2 season's ago) traditional insurance bet I put a tenner on us to get relegated at 20:1. Since I was there, I put my other tenner (yes, I had two) on us winning the FA cup at even more generous odds.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Would mean Europa League qualification though which would be at least another £5-6m with a good chance of another £5-6m.

Europa League football isn't paying that well in prize money. This season you get £3.6 million for reaching the group stage, which the FA Cup winners are guaranteed. To get anywhere near £10 million from it we'd have to win most of our group games and reach the Quarter Finals at least.

European football would be great for the fans and the profile of the club, but Champions League aside it really isn't that much of a money pit compared to the Premier League money.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember when the 3 rd round of the FA Cup was something special.
Now, finishing in the top 10 is better than getting to the semifinals.
Sad.

I also remember that, which was back when we would also 'fight, fight, fight for The Albion, till we win Division Three' ???

Nostalgia is a thing of the past :wink:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Europa League football isn't paying that well in prize money. This season you get £3.6 million for reaching the group stage, which the FA Cup winners are guaranteed. To get anywhere near £10 million from it we'd have to win most of our group games and reach the Quarter Finals at least.

European football would be great for the fans and the profile of the club, but Champions League aside it really isn't that much of a money pit compared to the Premier League money.

I know. I was including TV money and matchday income for the first £5-6m and the reasonable likelihood that Brighton would do quite well in the other £5-6m.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If we're going to sack off a game i'd rather it was Chelsea away in late December than the cup game at WBA.

I'd much rather get to the late stages of a cup than finish say12th instead of 14th

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was that the
‘To Hell with Aston Villa
To Hell with Notts County’ version?

I don't remember that. But I do remember that we ain't lost a fight since we don't know when.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I also remember that, which was back when we would also 'fight, fight, fight for The Albion, till we win Division Three' ???

Nostalgia is a thing of the past :wink:

If that’s the case it’s a shame. I really look forward to being a mid table nonentity for the next few years, roll on a decent relegation fight!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I don't remember that. But I do remember that we ain't lost a fight since we don't know when.

My memory, though it could be incorrect, was the season in the early 70s when we were going for promotion from Div 3 to Div 2. I think Villa, Notts Co and Bournemouth and Boscombe were our main rivals. Hence:
To hell with Aston Villa
To hell with Notts County
We’re gonna fight, fight, fight for the Albion
Til we win Division 3

alternatively,
second line was
To hell with Bournemouth too
and fourth line then
Til we’re in Division 2

Maybe it was a dream…….

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If that’s the case it’s a shame. I really look forward to being a mid table nonentity for the next few years, roll on a decent relegation fight!

I think our relegation fights in the 90's were unique, and for survival full stop.

most relegation seasons there is no fight, or we wouldn't be there.

we only survived season 2 of PL because others were even worse.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Looks like The Baggies away might be on the Saturday then.......

FA Cup third-round televised games

Friday, 7 January

Swindon v Manchester City, 20:00 kick-off - live on ITV1

Saturday, 8 January

Millwall v Crystal Palace, 12:45 - live on ITV1

Hull City v Everton, 17:30 - live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer

Sunday, 9 January

West Ham United v Leeds United, 14:15 - live on ITV1

Nottingham Forest v Arsenal, 17:15 - live on ITV1

Monday, 10 January

Manchester United v Aston Villa, 19:55 - live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Looks like The Baggies away might be on the Saturday then.......

FA Cup third-round televised games

Friday, 7 January

Swindon v Manchester City, 20:00 kick-off - live on ITV1

Saturday, 8 January

Millwall v Crystal Palace, 12:45 - live on ITV1

Hull City v Everton, 17:30 - live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer

Sunday, 9 January

West Ham United v Leeds United, 14:15 - live on ITV1

Nottingham Forest v Arsenal, 17:15 - live on ITV1

Monday, 10 January

Manchester United v Aston Villa, 19:55 - live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer

Think ‘might’ being the operative word. Games will still be moved to Sunday and it’s unlikely West Brom, Wolves and Birmingham all play at home same day.

On another note, how shit are those TV picks?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Think ‘might’ being the operative word. Games will still be moved to Sunday and it’s unlikely West Brom, Wolves and Birmingham all play at home same day.

On another note, how shit are those TV picks?

Recently there have been examples where all 4 West Midlands teams were at home on the same day. I remember reading about it somewhere saying that it never used to happen but WMP don’t seem to be so bothered now especially for cup games with lower gates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here