Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Eufa rules on elimination. Does anyone have a view?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The Uefa rules on elimination. Does anyone have a view?
Goals scored versus Head to Head?
Russia scored far more.
Both sides on same points but, because the head to head says Greece beat Russia they are out.
What is the fair way?

Buggered up the heading too, nice one self........note, check spelling! :ffsparr:

Last edited:

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
so if that rule applied over here the play-offs would be even more farcical.....ie am I right in thinking Sheff U beat 'Uddersfield home and away in the league (or similar with another team in the play-offs)

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Madness in my opinion. The same could happen tomorrow if Denmark beat Germany.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
The objective of the game is to score goals and teams should be encouraged to do this. Russia scored more goals so they should go through.

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
if denmark beat germany ,and portugal beat holland.... what happens.
each will have 6 points and theyve all lost to each other.

I think russia should go through

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

What a wonderful scenario. I suppose then GD will come into play.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
If 3 teams are level then it is goal difference between the 3 teams,

As long as all the teams know the rules in advance, which they should do, then using the head-to-head result is fair enough I think. Good luck to the Greeks.

Interestingly, it is possible for a penalty shootout to decide who goes through it won't happen this tournament.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

According to the bbc, if teams are tied, you create a mini table involving just those teams (for example, if spain and croatia draw, and italy beat ireland, you remove the games they all played v ireland).

If teams can't be separated that way, you then go to gd overall, goals scored overall.

If two teams are still tied, and they happen to be playing each other in the final game, they go to penalties. If they aren't playing each other it comes down to uefa coefficients.

BBC Sport - Euro 2012 - the group stage permutations explained
I posted in another thread (I'm Confused by Euro Tables)

So, the explanation would be since teams are level on points overall, it goes to this table, going through each column left to right until they are separated?

eurostables.png
(click to enlarge)

? (italy 'gs' should be 2, not 1)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

If Denmark and Portugal win1-0, then they go through, I think. Assuming they are both 1-0 games, the mini table would be Portugal Pts 6,GF 3,GA 3,GD1, Demark 6, 3,3,0 and Germany 6,1,1,0

So they all have six points, 0 goal difference so then it goes on goals scored. However, I think, if Germany lose 3-2 and Portugal still win 1-0 then Germany go through as they will still have the same record, ie 6 pts, GF 3, GA 3, GD 0, but Germany sneak through on the head to head, ie they beat Portugal.

Personally, don't see anything wrong with it coming down to the head to head.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Head-to-head is the most logical tiebreaker in tournament situations like this where the teams only play each other once. And even though the Group games are done on a league basis it's still virtually a knock-out format; you can't afford to lose three games in a row and still get promoted like you can in a 'full' league situation. Greece beat Russia so that should take priority over how many goals either team scored against other sides. That's especially relevant if there's an obvious weak team (such as Ireland) when qualification shouldn't come down to how many you scored in a turkey-shoot. Also you could be lucky enough to play a demoralised side last (who've had their high hopes destroyed like England in 1988), or lucky enough to play a good(ish) side first before they've got into their stride (Russia with the Czechs).

D

Deleted member 22389

The Uefa rules on elimination. Does anyone have a view?
Goals scored versus Head to Head?
Russia scored far more.
Both sides on same points but, because the head to head says Greece beat Russia they are out.
What is the fair way?

Buggered up the heading too, nice one self........note, check spelling! :ffsparr:

This head to head is stupid. Russia had a better goal difference. They scored more. Russia should have gone through.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I agree. The problem with head-to-head is that it is too focussed on the results of one particular match, whereas surely the teams who have done best overall in the group should go through.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I still don't get this. They are still saying the Dutch can go through by beating Portugal by more than 2 goals if Denmark lose of course. But they will both have 3 points and Denmark beat the Dutch

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This head to head is stupid. Russia had a better goal difference. They scored more. Russia should have gone through.
But they lost to Greece, so quite rightly the winners have gone through. And as I said earlier it's not really a 'league' is it? It's still basically a knock-out format as you only play three games, which is why they (quite rightly IMO) give precedence to the winner of the match between the two sides and only use goal difference in the other two games as a tie-breaker in the event of a draw. (As opposed to having a penalty shoot-out).

But we're not going to agree! :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here