Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The end of the conservatives as an election-winning force?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I'm sorry but no it doesn't. This idea that somehow the conservatives are a dying force is just not supported by the evidence.

But everyone says how Labour have ruined the country over the economy, immigration, law and order, the supposed illegal war.

This is a dramatic failure by the Conservatives, they should have won with a comfortable majority. I guess they still suffer from voters like me who saw what Thather did to this country and will never vote Tory.

At least the public realised the danger of voting the Liberal Democrats into power and they have also failed miserably.

I personally think the best result was a hung parliament and now MPs will have to work cross party and perhaps can try and work on the problems together.

I am still baffled as to how the Greens can get over 16,000 votes in Brighton yet got just 645 in Mid Sussex, only a handful more than the BNP! Soames increased his majority and there was a 73% turn out, so the Conservatives actually managed to get out of there castles/mansions and drive there 4x4s down the long drives to get to the Polling stations!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The dye was set early on, with Mandelson carrying on smugly as if nothing had changed and Theresa May stamping her feet at him like a schoolgirl as if the fact that Labour weren't wanted meant that the Tories surely were by default. Both were wrong, both look like complete twunts this morning.

f*** knows what it means, but I can't see beyond another GE soon under a fairer voting system. My guess is that this will mean the end of the Tories as a party able to govern on their own, but that you could say the same for all of the main parties.

Exactly. If we move to PR then no single Party will ever govern on their own again.

My bet - Clegg can't be seen to prop up a defeated Labour Party, especially one that has Brown in charge(although he just might if he gets a referendum on Electoral Reform) and Cameron therfore tries to form a minority Government.

I found the whole night fascinating - haven't been to bed, so many different percentage swings that it has been impossible to predict a final outcome - although the Exit Poll at 10.00 seems to be pretty spot on after all.

No big breakthroughs for the minority Parties - BNP and UKIP both feeble (although between them they have affected the results in some seats) Greens - one seat but rest of the County very, very poor.

Interesting hours (and days) ahead.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But the system makes it hard for the Tories. If you swapped the labour and conservative share of the vote, labour would be looking at a majority of about 85 seats

Not really.The fact that there's two centre-leftish parties always splits the votes. The fact that there's pnly one major party for selfish, hate-filled little Englanders mean the Tory's always poll well

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I don't see Cameron is a credible party leader. I was listening yesterday to a view that he is strong talking to people who agree with him - but is unable to persuade. It kind of rings true. A leader needs to be able to persuade.

And "Vote for Change" was a shit Obama-like slogan. Change ? Old Etonian and his mates.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great quote from Paddy Ashdown: "The people have spoken, we just don't know what they said."

Die Loesung
Nach dem Aufstand des 17. Juni
Ließ der Sekretär des Schriftstellerverbands
In der Stalinallee Flugblätter verteilen
Auf denen zu lesen war, daß das Volk
Das Vertrauen der Regierung verscherzt habe
Und es nur durch verdoppelte Arbeit
Zurückerobern könne. Wäre es da
Nicht doch einfacher, die Regierung
Löste das Volk auf und
Wählte ein anderes? (Brecht)

(The Solution: After the 17 July uprising, the secretary of the party distributed leaflets in Stalinallee saying that the government was disappointed with its people and could only win confidence back by working twice as hard. If that's the case, wouldn't be easier for the government to dissolve the electorate and elect a new one?)

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Not really.The fact that there's two centre-leftish parties always splits the votes. The fact that there's pnly one major party for selfish, hate-filled little Englanders mean the Tory's always poll well

Yes really. If you swapped the Tory and labour votes that is the sort of majority labour would have.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The top 5 on votes

10,121,863 36.1% - Conservative
8,175,832 29.2% - Labour
6,416,725 22.9% - Liberal Democrat
863,145 3.1% - UK Independence Party
534,039 1.9% - British National Party

This is the total votes counted so far, so the country really is split between the 3 parties, the votes reflect this a lot better then the seats split which is

290-246-51-0-0

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
But everyone says how Labour have ruined the country over the economy, immigration, law and order, the supposed illegal war.

This is a dramatic failure by the Conservatives, they should have won with a comfortable majority. I guess they still suffer from voters like me who saw what Thather did to this country and will never vote Tory.

At least the public realised the danger of voting the Liberal Democrats into power and they have also failed miserably.

I personally think the best result was a hung parliament and now MPs will have to work cross party and perhaps can try and work on the problems together.

I am still baffled as to how the Greens can get over 16,000 votes in Brighton yet got just 645 in Mid Sussex, only a handful more than the BNP! Soames increased his majority and there was a 73% turn out, so the Conservatives actually managed to get out of there castles/mansions and drive there 4x4s down the long drives to get to the Polling stations!

I'm not saying the conservatives have done well. I didn't vote for them probably for reasons similar to you. However I think that's different ot claiming they're a dying party. That is just wishful thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here