Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Election

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
n1 gull said:
Who gave the Bank of England their independence?

labour did .. which was quite right ..which i believe the tories were close to if they were elected again
...sorry about the earlier post times 3

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
ditchy said:
labour did .. which was quite right ..which i believe the tories were close to if they were elected again
...sorry about the earlier post times 3
15 years of using interest rates to control money supply (an absolutely SHIT methodology it was too) would suggest otherwise.

Are you seriously trying to argue that Gordon Brown hasn't been one of the best chancellor's we've ever had? We've got a decent minimum wage, we have implemented the social charter (neither were implemented by the last tory government) yet inflation AND unemployment remain lower than ever before in living memory and we have one of the most flexible labour markets in Europe.

We have a pension problem and I can tell you that I trust Brown to sort that out too - he's certainly more likely than an incoming tory government whose only policy seems to be to reduce taxes. :glare:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Still, I'll be voting Lib Dem - I just can't bring myself to vote for a poodle to George W Bush. Hopefully a hung parliament with Labour the biggest party and the Lib Dems second. And hopefully Mr Liar would consider resigning. Fat chance eh!

Re: Re: The Election

Tom Hark said:
The million plus people who took to the streets of London to protest against the immoral and illegal invasion of Iraq, and the millions of 'Not In My Name' Labour voters have one, and only one, chance to kick the megalomaniac war criminal B.Liar in the electoral nuts. He's learnt absolutely nothing about the democratic process since the invasion of Iraq. Just look at the news tonight and you'll see B.Liar on there, trying to railroad some seriously flawed legislation through parliament that will dangerously erode civil liberties which have existed in this country for hundreds of years in the interests of 'national security'. And no doubt the Labour Party will fall meekly into line on that one also. And millions more Labour voters will register their disgust in the only way they can. Alastair Campbell has every right to be worried.

darn tooting

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's infuriating, I feel obliged to vote but for whom ? As Simster says I don't want to vote for Bush's lapdog but there again I can't really see any redeeming qualities in the other parties.

Pre Election they'll all make promises that they're unlikely to keep and can somebody tell the principle differences between Labour and Tory Party policies ?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Simster said:
We have a pension problem and I can tell you that I trust Brown to sort that out too

well he SHOULD be able to, seeing as he helped CREATE the problem by massively increasing the TAX burden on pension funds by taxing pension fund dividends in 1997.

£5bn a year, every year since 1997, he been taking from our pension funds - how exactly is that meant to help the 'pensions crisis' ??

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Simster said:
15 years of using interest rates to control money supply (an absolutely SHIT methodology it was too) would suggest otherwise.

Are you seriously trying to argue that Gordon Brown hasn't been one of the best chancellor's we've ever had? We've got a decent minimum wage, we have implemented the social charter (neither were implemented by the last tory government) yet inflation AND unemployment remain lower than ever before in living memory and we have one of the most flexible labour markets in Europe.

We have a pension problem and I can tell you that I trust Brown to sort that out too - he's certainly more likely than an incoming tory government whose only policy seems to be to reduce taxes. :glare:

not arguing at all that brown is a godd chancellor ,but was making the point that alot of the benefits were down to previous policy from tories .....It anooyes me that they love to take all the credit for a strong economy ,but they still have the gual to blame the tories for things that happened in their term yet have had 8yrs to ficx themselves ... typical labour spin !

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Even though it would take the biggest swing in Parliamentary history I think Labour could well lose the election. What I believe could happen is that many Labour voters would switch to the LibDems as a punishment for sending the troops to Iraq. Although these numbers may not be high enough to actually elect the LibDems it would be enough to allow the Tories to get in.

This would also mean that we'll have a Tory government and a Labour council in Brighton - and Falmer would become a political football.

Stand by for another 5 years of enquiries if that happens.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Jim D said:
Even though it would take the biggest swing in Parliamentary history I think Labour could well lose the election. What I believe could happen is that many Labour voters would switch to the LibDems as a punishment for sending the troops to Iraq. Although these numbers may not be high enough to actually elect the LibDems it would be enough to allow the Tories to get in.

This would also mean that we'll have a Tory government and a Labour council in Brighton - and Falmer would become a political football.

Stand by for another 5 years of enquiries if that happens.

We could get round that by changing our name to brighton and hove gypsies fc and then moving onto falmer and building an illegal stadium !:lolol:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: The Election

Tom Hark said:
The million plus people who took to the streets of London to protest against the immoral and illegal invasion of Iraq, and the millions of 'Not In My Name' Labour voters have one, and only one, chance to kick the megalomaniac war criminal B.Liar in the electoral nuts. He's learnt absolutely nothing about the democratic process since the invasion of Iraq. Just look at the news tonight and you'll see B.Liar on there, trying to railroad some seriously flawed legislation through parliament that will dangerously erode civil liberties which have existed in this country for hundreds of years in the interests of 'national security'. And no doubt the Labour Party will fall meekly into line on that one also. And millions more Labour voters will register their disgust in the only way they can. Alastair Campbell has every right to be worried.

nothing will stop the war from happening...you cant turn back time...but you can change the future. and personally, I could never stomach knowing my opposition for Blair led to Michael Howard becoming PM(unless I was a tory...then i'd be delighted)

Blair has NO power within the party anymore. he wanted to keep blunkett, cabinet told him no.

he is finished. but if you want Brown as next PM, you gotta vote Blair(strange as that sounds)

whatever people do....VOTE!!!

be it tory/lib dem/labour/green, just vote, its not hard and its your right.. vote for a joke party if nothing else, just tick something.lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here