Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Election

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
well, it pains me to say it,it really does, but Im getting that bit worried that somehow,against all odds, after May 7th or whatever it is,we could have Michael Howard as PM.

slowly but surely I have been hearing more and more disheartening statements, from the fact the Sun has been slowly shifting back to the Tories, to the weak opinion polls, and earlier this week...perhaps the most worrying of all. At my college, Roy Greenslade, former editor of the Daily Mirror came in to talk about politics and the media. Afterwards he said off the record to a few of us that Alisitar Campbell had been on the phone to him earlier that day and had seemed very negative and very very worried.

I mean this is obviously good news for you tories but f***...its beginning to worry this centre-minded person. Labour voters have got to vote Labour! I mean take Brighton Pavilion and Dave Lepper...he voted against the war ffs, so it would be really harsh if he was de-elected due to it. I dont like Blair as much as the next person, but I'd rather Labour were in office than the tories. Since 1997 the minimum wage has come in, section 28 was abolished, age of consents were made equal for gay/straight people, to name but 3 policies almost certain the tories would have never done.

Labour voters you cant desert now...

and first time voters...just vote or else the turnout will be pathetic and make a mockery of the whole thing.

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
Blair will win again but with a reduced majority which I would imagine they the Labour party would be happy with.
They will not be getting my vote, not that it would make any difference.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
I think you miss the point! If B liar thinks he will not win then he could wait for at least another 12 months.Trouble is will the economy wait as well,think not lol.Bring on Browns tax rises.

Howard would require the biggest swing in parliamentary history. sorry its Tory Blair again with reduced majority. :nono: :nono: i'd love to vote labour if anyone can find them they should let us all know

mind you kenndy is speaking with more and more sense, just a shame that he'll never be PM

Last edited:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I know but stranger things have happened.

its just...its a nasty enough thought to get worried.

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
bigc said:
I know but stranger things have happened.

its just...its a nasty enough thought to get worried.
Why be worried you can have Tony Tory Blair or Michael Tory Howard, the real Labour Party died years ago.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Delaying the election would be good for us.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The Tories will not win. Even if there was a swing from Labour to the Tories of 10.3 pc (which is what Blair got FROM the Tories in 1997) then Howard would still only have an overall majority of 2.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
bigc said:
Labour voters have got to vote Labour! I mean take Brighton Pavilion and Dave Lepper...he voted against the war ffs, so it would be really harsh if he was de-elected due to it. I dont like Blair as much as the next person, but I'd rather Labour were in office than the tories.

The million plus people who took to the streets of London to protest against the immoral and illegal invasion of Iraq, and the millions of 'Not In My Name' Labour voters have one, and only one, chance to kick the megalomaniac war criminal B.Liar in the electoral nuts. He's learnt absolutely nothing about the democratic process since the invasion of Iraq. Just look at the news tonight and you'll see B.Liar on there, trying to railroad some seriously flawed legislation through parliament that will dangerously erode civil liberties which have existed in this country for hundreds of years in the interests of 'national security'. And no doubt the Labour Party will fall meekly into line on that one also. And millions more Labour voters will register their disgust in the only way they can. Alastair Campbell has every right to be worried.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I will not vote Labour while Blair is in charge. Being in a safe Tory seat that is not going to worry Tony - but there are many, many people who feel the way I do.

How can anyone believe a word Blair says.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
kalinski said:
Howard would require the biggest swing in parliamentary history. sorry its Tory Blair again with reduced majority. :nono: :nono: i'd love to vote labour if anyone can find them they should let us all know

mind you kenndy is speaking with more and more sense, just a shame that he'll never be PM

It may end up being a hung parliament with balance of power in the Libs hands .. Now theres a thought .. Imagine Norman Baker with a bit of power !

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Re: Re: The Election

Tom Hark said:
Just look at the news tonight and you'll see B.Liar on there, trying to railroad some seriously flawed legislation through parliament that will dangerously erode civil liberties which have existed in this country for hundreds of years in the interests of 'national security'. And no doubt the Labour Party will fall meekly into line on that one also. And millions more Labour voters will register their disgust in the only way they can. Alastair Campbell has every right to be worried.
I agree entirely with you on this point, Tom. I can't believe how pig-headed & stupid the government are being on this one.

It's not often I find myself supporting the House of Lords, but last night I'm glad they were there to fight this moronic bill.

What are the government thinking? I can't work it out. Normally (IMO) they are very sensible, but on this 'national security' issue they seem to have lost all sense of reason.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: The Election

Tom Hark said:
The million plus people who took to the streets of London to protest against the immoral and illegal invasion of Iraq, and the millions of 'Not In My Name' Labour voters have one, and only one, chance to kick the megalomaniac war criminal B.Liar in the electoral nuts. He's learnt absolutely nothing about the democratic process since the invasion of Iraq. Just look at the news tonight and you'll see B.Liar on there, trying to railroad some seriously flawed legislation through parliament that will dangerously erode civil liberties which have existed in this country for hundreds of years in the interests of 'national security'. And no doubt the Labour Party will fall meekly into line on that one also. And millions more Labour voters will register their disgust in the only way they can. Alastair Campbell has every right to be worried.
You are, sadly, 100% correct. You can also add the botched reform of the House of Lords to that list. The idea of replacing peers of the realm with political appointees at first seems at best a step sideways, then when you realise it is entirely consistent with Blair's control freakery you realise in fact it's (incredibly) a step back. The Terrorism legislation is positively Stalinist. We've still got trial by Jury though so he hasn't completely eroded every civil right.

I'm voting for David Leppar. Sadly that will interpreted as a vote for Blair and Labour but what's the alternative?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not a supporter of Labour in general but the easiest way they could guarentee to win the election is to replace B.Lair with Brown. I would certainly make me consider them but of course Blair is too power crazy to do stand down !

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I just don't think there is a decent alternative to Labour.
Lowest interest rates, inflation and unemployment in my memory.
Yes, I was against the war, but now I kind of think it was the right thing to do, although we were tricked into it.
I think the Middle East is realising that it needs democracy.

I will be voting Blair again, although I'll be looking forward to him handing over to Brown. I can't stand the Blair cronies like Milburn and Tessa Jowell, they're enough to make your skin crawl.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
n1 gull said:
Yes, I was against the war, but now I kind of think it was the right thing to do, although we were tricked into it.

I will be voting Blair again, although I'll be looking forward to him handing over to Brown. I can't stand the Blair cronies like Milburn and Tessa Jowell, they're enough to make your skin crawl.

Whose fiscal policies have labour adopted to impose Low interest rates and inflation ?

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
n1 gull said:

Whose fiscal policies have labour adopted to impose Low interest rates and inflation ?

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
n1 gull said:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here