Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The easter disaster on 1970

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Albion's promotion push, under Freddie Goodwin, ran out of steam over the Easter of 1970.

The strain had been showing a while, since hitting the top spot a few weeks earlier, and the good form was mainly down to being almost invincible at home.

But a busy Easter schedule put paid to that. Easter was often the last big hurdle before the home straight. Albion's Easter started well enough when over 32,000 crammed the Goldstone to see us beat Reading 2-1. Without looking at the scoreres, I'm pretty sure it was Dawson & Duffy, probably the widest front pairing in history! This was a big game and the live commentry match on national BBC radio.

From Friday to Saturday and a long trip to Halifax where we lost 1-0 to lowly opposition. Away defeats were becoming a habit. Still, there was the big game at Craven Cottage on Easter Monday.

So, 3 games in 4 days. The Cottage was so much different then with no riverside stand, just open terracing and the Thames behind. I'm sure the boat race was on when we were there once, maybe even at this game.

You could walk around most of the ground so the Albion fans made their way to the Fulham end and under cover, so there was quite an atmosphere.

The pitch seemed to be in 3 strips with grassy wings and a large, muddy, strip from goal to goal. Not long after KO there was a torrential downpour and that central strip looked like the Thames.

Fulham were hitting form, too late for a promotion push (only 2 and no play offs) and they tore us apart down both wings. From giving it large at the start of the game, we were humiliated by 4-1, Howard Wilkinson scoring our consolation.

Although still 2nd, our season faded out. Orient were top and went up with Luton. Goodwin was poached by Birmingham at the end of the season and hopes of promotion faded as the next season was re-building.

Last edited:

I was at that Reading match and also listening to the Radio 2 commentary; I think they described Alan Duffy as being "as wide as he was tall" when he came on as the sub! I also recall winning 3 League games in 4 days (a 4-2 away win at Rotherham being one?) Not sure what season that was, though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They used to sell beer on the terraces at Craven Cottage right up to kick off then re=open again for half time. Dont know if they did for that Easter game.

I think I was at all three - the condensed activity proving too much for our 10 pints/day forward line.
The conditions at the Shay were similar to the home game with Millwall this season but followed by the Supporter's club coach back from Yorkshire when you're drenched. At the time there was an open terrace behind one of the goals, built on what seemed to be a heap of colliery spoil.
As FG says, we were seriously undone at the Cottage with Barry Lloyd netting at least one for Fulham together with Steve Earle and Les Barrett if I remember correctly. Wilf Tranter was also in the Fulham side unless I'm confused with the following season.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Alan Duffy scored both against Reading. He was a player for the big occasion-appropriate really as he was certainly big in certain areas. He was rumoured to frequent the Queen Anne pub in West Street a little more than a professional sportsman should have.

32.000 crowd that day. Oh that potential again!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't understand why we don't play on Good Friday this year. We would have a good crowd (there's nothing else to do) and we'd have an extra day to prepare for Colchester. DK is normally pretty good at spotting opportunities I'm surprised he hasn't seen this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here