Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The draw for the Champions League group stages

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i have another idea....how about you have ONE team from each country (the league winners...or...champions perhaps). The other teams from each country could then take part in another competition, some sort of "cup", for teams in UEFA...not sure of the name yet. That competition might get a bit crowded, so you could bring in another, one for maybe just "cup winners". Resulting in 3 strong competitions instead of 1 strong competition and 1 that no-one cares about.

You could then get rid of all this mega draw nonsense
I know this is often levelled at UEFA but to be fair, often those competitions were utter gash for the neutral until the quarter final stages. We are where we are.

I'd tweak things so that you had no seeds in the Champions League, no transferring from the Champions League to the Europa League (as that clearly diminishes the latter), and the finalists of the Europa League are guaranteed a spot in the Champions League, (instead of the 4th placed teams of the two of the bigger leagues).

Oct 25, 2003
I know this is often levelled at UEFA but to be fair, often those competitions were utter gash for the neutral until the quarter final stages. We are where we are.

I'd tweak things so that you had no seeds in the Champions League, no transferring from the Champions League to the Europa League (as that clearly diminishes the latter), and the finalists of the Europa League are guaranteed a spot in the Champions League, (instead of the 4th placed teams of the two of the bigger leagues).

i used to love the cup winners cup :(

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Group F:
Napoli, Arsenal, Marseilles and Dortmund

Ouch!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Group H:
Celtic have Barcelona, Milan and Ajax

:snigger:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
So have Man U, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Porto all in the same group? Might make for a good group stage but some shit last 16 games and quarter finals

And that would be a bad thing how?

Stops the same teams getting to the later stages and being able to spend that extra revenue to maintain their position there and in their domestic leagues whilst helping smaller clubs earn more by having a longer cup run

Or should other competitions be seeded too? Should the FA Cup be seeded so to avoid having 2 top flight teams play each other until the last 32 (or cut the premier league to 15 team and introduce them along with 1 club making it through a competition with all the other teams first as the last 16), just to avoid what some might consider boring matches involving lower league or smaller teams?

I would like to see an FA Cup competition where all league teams come in during the first round proper (or even from the very start, how about Man Utd vs a pub side who entered - money spinner for the small team which may keep them in business for years to come)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stoney -devote gooner pessimist:-

[tweet]373121990472646656[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
BS2iqtBCMAAcMNy.jpg

D

Deleted member 18477

Arsenal are out then... unless Wenger splashes some cash finally!

Celtic are also out.

Man utd, Chelsea and City to easily make it through.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Who cares?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here