Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The difference Slade has brought to the team

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We were chatting about this at half time, and Dandyman made the very good point that its all about "the second ball".

If you watch the way we are playing, everytime the ball is touched and lost, albion are snapping at the heals of people.

The young lad from Stockport and Fraser are instrumental in this and have turned the midfield into a reasonably strong unit.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
If you actually watch Fraser in a match he very rarely challenges anyone really, just runs around looking busy and getting close to people he doesnt actually let people know he's there.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think he tells it like it is, if he thinks the players arent trying hard enough then he will make sure they know about it!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The team we put out today would have been derided earlier this season but was very good.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The team we put out today would have been derided earlier this season but was very good.

Spot on ! we have had on paper much better elevens on the pitch this season so this to me suggests the manager has them playing for him and themselves now.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
We were chatting about this at half time, and Dandyman made the very good point that its all about "the second ball".

If you watch the way we are playing, everytime the ball is touched and lost, albion are snapping at the heals of people.

The young lad from Stockport and Fraser are instrumental in this and have turned the midfield into a reasonably strong unit.

:clap:

Spot on Dave - possibly the most sensible football tactics comment ever made on NSC! And how well it works with big Lloyd and Harty as the front two; they really get in the faces of the centre-halves, and then the midfielder work their socks off to get that second ball.

For me Russell also has some other superb qualities, man-management, passion, motivational ability and more.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Thanks Paul.

Can you also pass on my thanks for whoever did the deal that brought Dicker to the club.

I think his first couple of games he was trying to work his way into the club and now after the last few games, I think he has possibly turned out into the best loan signings of the season........he quietly goes about his game, he is very skillful on the ball and I get th impression he reads a game very well.

I am not sure of his position at the end of the season, however if the decision to retain Slade's services is taken, irrespective what division we are in, Dicker would be a great asset to this club

Also, remembering our conversation last year at Leeds, Thierri Raconwill be looking for a club next year I assume :)

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think moving Cox into the center is the best thing he has done. i said last season that is were he is best placed and the few times Micky let him drift in this season he did the business.

I do still think a diamond of Dicker, Birchal, loft and Cox would be better.

Spot on, Cox doesn't have the pace to get past people and whip in crosses, he is better in the centre where he can play alot more. What I don't like, the only thing about Slade's tactics I disagree with, is Fraser on the left and Loft :)love:) on the right, it should be the other way around and we'd look far more comfortable like that I feel. But the brilliant of the Loftman is that he can use either foot and look natural, but Fraser isn't the same way...

Slade has united everyone at the club, that's what was needed and it's what he's done. He has been a brilliant appointment, and he should be our longer term manager, I hope he has already been told he is getting the job and is looking at who he can sign. Russell Slades blue and white army. :ascarf:

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

Spot on Dave - possibly the most sensible football tactics comment ever made on NSC! And how well it works with big Lloyd and Harty as the front two; they really get in the faces of the centre-halves, and then the midfielder work their socks off to get that second ball.

For me Russell also has some other superb qualities, man-management, passion, motivational ability and more.

Totally agree, also we look like a team that when we lose the ball we will do all that is possible to get it back. ( apart from first 10 mins of 2nd half when we were back to our old ways) otherwise overall:thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just love Slade's obvious enthusiasm for the game, his passion on the touchline, and his interaction with the fans. Ok, blah-blah all you want, but at this level, he's offering a helluva lot more than a scowling dismissive Micky did during what he patently assumed would be his soft retirement job.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yes, it's like having a young boy out there. I have watched him closely in recent games and although he runs about a bit (no more or less than others) I reckon he only touches the ball about 1/3 or 1/4 of the number of times that other midfielders do.

so what you and Sir DC are saying is that Russell Slade has got it wrong by playing Fraser. Every midfield has to have a player or two that does the less glamourous donkey work. Tommy knows his limitations but is a far better player now he has played a few games on the trot. I'd rather have TF in the team than Jarrett any day

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
don't under estimate the benefit of having the players in positions that they comfortable in. we have on far too many occasions had 2 or more players 'filling in'. injuries have been a problem I know, but we had almost become accustom to this.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Blimey. Looks like someone's going to get a contract.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The difference in yesterday's performance compared with those earlier in the season was truly amazing. Most of the players were in the squad earlier so why the massive improvement in skill, commitment and team spirit? Has to be the manager.

Let's keep him whichever division we are in next season.

And if we do get relegated (I actually believe we can achieve the great escape) then he would be just the guy to get us straight back up.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
I just love Slade's obvious enthusiasm for the game, his passion on the touchline, and his interaction with the fans. Ok, blah-blah all you want, but at this level, he's offering a helluva lot more than a scowling dismissive Micky did during what he patently assumed would be his soft retirement job.

Well said.
I think most of us now realise that a change of management at Xmas would have resulted in comfortable survival. RS is clearly a very good man-manager and the spirits of everyone have been lifted.
Even worse case scenario we go down...the club will start next season buzzing, with confidence high.
If we stay up, then DK and the rest of the board can breathe a huge sigh of relief that they have ' got away with it ' after their misguided decision to bring in somebody who let the club, the fans and himself down with 7-8 months of the worst mismanagement I have ever seen.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Is it possible that Salde picks his teram based on a mix of talent and commitement. Fraser Loft and OGH have got their chances because although they may not have the talent of others they are really committed... and up to now they have done us proud. For me Loft has finally been given the chance he deserved and Slade has convinced me he deserves a contract when this short one expires.... Just hope he'll wnat to take it... wherever we are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here