Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Diana interview scandal...

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It's not just Diana and nor are they recent allegations. Terry Venables was accusing Bashir/ Panorama of using fake documents relating to the investigation into his financial dealings as far back as 1996, the date of this article....
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...tants-back-bbc-forgery-claim-1304368.html?amp

He's also now seeking answers from the BBC.

I'm not remotely royalist and never had the slightest interest in Diana or for that matter any sympathy for her. I was in fact very cynical about her like most on here, but I think the methods Bashir used were really irresponsible.

It wasn't just the matter of faking documents it was the other implications of playing on her emotional insecurities and vulnerabilities and making her believe that people close to her were spying on her and that her phone was bugged etc.

It's hard for us to appreciate how isolated she must have felt in that environment so I suppose her manipulation of the press was a necessary means of getting people on side. It shouldn't be underestimated the impact all this had on her mental health. It's only now that I have started to appreciate the difficult position she was in where it was basically her against the whole Royal Family who were just interested in protecting their public image. I think it was irresponsible of Bashir to exploit her insecurities and emotional and psychological vulnerabilities by telling her lies which would have exacerbated her fragile psychological state.

100% this. Bashir and the BBC should 100% be investigated for this. The Sun and the NOTW was rightfully exposed for history malpractice and they aren’t funded by the public... they’re funded by idiots.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I must say that this comes across as the sort of story that is interesting only to people within a small area bounded by Kensington Palace in one direction and Broadcasting House in the other. A reporter bends some rules? Dog bites man.

The whole Diana thing baffled me then and baffled me now. The conspiracy theories about her death are ridiculous. If you wanted to kill someone, arranging a car crash is about the least reliable method - the front seat passenger in that car walked away from the accident through the simple ruse of wearing a seat belt. She would have survived too if she had followed suit. But when road safety organisations wanted to use this in an advertising campaign to save some lives (as she might have wanted, bless her, queen of people's hearts and all that, they were told it would be in bad taste. Harumph.

And don't get me started on the collective insanity of the 'I'm more devastated than you' mourning fest ...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If you read the article it is Charles Spencer who has raised all this again as it would appear that he was the one who was allegedly duped into persuading Diana to do the interview. Don't think he is the first person that springs to mind who would willingly do the Royals Family's bidding.

at first glance no but i guess it does give the pro royalty press an opportunity to make of it what they want.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Another story of more local interest has re-emerged regarding Bashir.

He was doing some investigative journalism on the Moulescoombe "Babes in the Wood" murder and he lost some vital evidence which he never returned. I'm not sure why a journalist was given vital evidence but that appears to be what happened. The BBC want to look into this now too.

His reputation is rapidly disintegrating. First Diana, then Michael Jackson, then Terry Venables and now this...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/2004/mar/23/broadcasting.uknews

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

He was doing some investigative journalism on the Moulescoombe "Babes in the Wood" murder and he lost some vital evidence which he never returned. I'm not sure why a journalist was given vital evidence but that appears to be what happened. The BBC want to look into this now too.

His reputation is rapidly disintegrating. First Diana, then Michael Jackson, then Terry Venables and now this...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/2004/mar/23/broadcasting.uknews

Am I missing something here? The report seems to suggest that the mother gave Bashir some of the girls clothing for which she has a receipt. How is that clothing evidence? Surely the clothing the girls were wearing was retained by the Police as evidence. They wouldn't have given it back to the family, especially as Bishop got off the first case.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Am I missing something here? The report seems to suggest that the mother gave Bashir some of the girls clothing for which she has a receipt. How is that clothing evidence? Surely the clothing the girls were wearing was retained by the Police as evidence. They wouldn't have given it back to the family, especially as Bishop got off the first case.

I was a bit confused too..Apparently the police returned the clothes to the parents and Bashir allegedly then told the parents that new developments in DNA might reveal new evidence so the parents then gave the clothes to Bashir. So it appears that it was only Bashir who was saying the clothes might be of vital evidence, not the police.

It all sounds rather bizarre. Was Bashir lying just so he could get his hands on the clothes and if so why? Or was he telling the truth in which case why were the clothes given to a journalist instead of back to the police, by which time they would have been of no evidential value anyway as they would have been forensically compromised as soon as the police handed them back to the parents.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

And to cap it all, this.....

f35dc52fbb1eac6a1c99a23e2219c720.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here