Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The DECIDER - 5th Test Match, The Oval - England vs Australia

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Surely any judgements about the long-term future of England have to be suspended until the outcome of this test, and the series, is known?

Massive matches like this one can be the making of a player or they could end his career.

We know we're going to lose Flintoff, but at least we have Prior and an all-rounder in the making in Broad to help manage that situation.

I personally would have gone with Ramprakash instead of Bell and tried to persuade Tresco instead of Trott, but I can see why the selectors have made those two calls so they'll have to live by those decisions.

We do have a problem with depth, but don't underestimate the boost an Ashes win could give the likes of Anderson, Prior, Broad to really kick on.

That said, there's a hell of a long way to go in this one.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Surely any judgements about the long-term future of England have to be suspended until the outcome of this test, and the series, is known?

Massive matches like this one can be the making of a player or they could end his career.

We know we're going to lose Flintoff, but at least we have Prior and an all-rounder in the making in Broad to help manage that situation.

I personally would have gone with Ramprakash instead of Bell and tried to persuade Tresco instead of Trott, but I can see why the selectors have made those two calls so they'll have to live by those decisions.

We do have a problem with depth, but don't underestimate the boost an Ashes win could give the likes of Anderson, Prior, Broad to really kick on.

That said, there's a hell of a long way to go in this one.

Good points. You could be right - this could be the making of someone like Bell - I certainly hope so.

As a slight aside, is there a discussion going on over there about the future of Central Contracts? They were bought in so that England players were not over-played by the counties, but now they seem to be underplayed in the 4 day game. Or are they underplayed because of the amount of international one day and 20-20 stuff they play? Striking a better balance in resting for internationals and actually playing/practising competitive cricket could be a start, maybe?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why do you keep banging on about Tresco? It wasn't the selectors decision to make.

Fucks sake, the thread discussion was about the lack of quality players available for this test so it was on-topic, and as for it 'not being the selector's decision to make' Tresco himself said if he was asked he'd have to consider it, but that twat Miller didn't even bother to pick up the phone.

The fact Cook was out for 10 having been out of form all series supports is further grist to the mill for those that believe he should have been dropped for this one.

The fact Cook was out for 10 having been out of form all series supports is further grist to the mill for those that believe he should have been dropped for this one.

The problem being, as we've said, that there was no decent replacement available for him *desperatelytryingtoavoidmentioningTresco*. Carberry is now out for the season; from the look of the ODI squad Denly is next in line. Unfortunately, for some reason, it looks like Key isn't ever going to get a look in.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

I would question Cook being out of form, he has got some runs in this serious.

The issue with Cook is more deep lying. He has hardly played any County Cricket, he has issues around his off stump, he goes after things he should not. These flaws in his game are not going to get ironed out playing test cricket, he needs a longish stint with Essex. The problem is, we are not blessed with batsmen to come in.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Take out Cook's 95 - his one score of 50 or over - and he's got 118 runs in 7 innings. That's disappointing, given his flaws we're exposed early in the series yet he's still committing the same errors.

I agree though, we're light on batsmen. You have to think that if Key was overlooked here then he's pretty much done as a test option. You wonder what they'll do about Bopara - it may hinge on whether Bell can nail down this No. 3 spot.

As for Flintoff's replacement, Luke Wright has to come into contention, but then would he AND Broad represent a lightweight first and second change? And if you DO go with Broad and Wright then is Harmison reliable enough with the new ball?

This is the sort of situation where good coaches could make the difference.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Take out Cook's 95 - his one score of 50 or over - and he's got 118 runs in 7 innings. That's disappointing, given his flaws we're exposed early in the series yet he's still committing the same errors.

I agree though, we're light on batsmen. You have to think that if Key was overlooked here then he's pretty much done as a test option. You wonder what they'll do about Bopara - it may hinge on whether Bell can nail down this No. 3 spot.

As for Flintoff's replacement, Luke Wright has to come into contention, but then would he AND Broad represent a lightweight first and second change? And if you DO go with Broad and Wright then is Harmison reliable enough with the new ball?

This is the sort of situation where good coaches could make the difference.

Long term Rashid might well end as the replacement at 7.

Short term Broad will probably play there.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
102 partnership that - good effort again from Strauss, now an absolutely key next 30 mins

Take out Cook's 95 - his one score of 50 or over - and he's got 118 runs in 7 innings. That's disappointing, given his flaws we're exposed early in the series yet he's still committing the same errors..

Agreed. I think that Uncle Buck is right though, he needs to go and play more County cricket to work out those problems in his game, the issue is who do we get in to replace him?

I think Bopara will come back in further down the order; probably at 5 but possibly at 6 (with Prior at 5).

I think that England have Broad pencilled in for 7, with another bowler coming in below. Harmison is NOT the answer and should not be playing for England, simple as that. The problem is the lack of alternatives. I would play Anderson and another out-and-out quick (maybe Khan?) with Broad and Onions as first and second change. Another alternative is Woakes, who could bat at 9 (or even 8), but then I'm not sure who opens the bowling with Anderson.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
THPP feeling quietly confident about his ante-post Ashes bets...

07/07/2009 Ashes Series 2009
(Top Bowler) BW Hilfenhaus 33/1

07/07/2009 Ashes Series 2009
(Top Batsman) MJ Clarke 8/1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here