Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The day football went mad. Rumours KAKA £100,000,000

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I believe it can only be a matter of time before the prem and football will go tits up. I often wonder how many clubs in the lower leagues will be around in a couple of years. If the recession is as deep as I think it will be.

Maybe the football league will benefit. Particularly if clubs can get their own wagebill down and also ticket prices. People will still want to go to a game, but there finances might dictate that instead of say travelling all the way to Spurs at a cost nearing £100, they might watch a game locally.

I think lower clubs can and must lower their costs, the trick being not to give long term deals that cost the earth in wages. I dont think Prem clubs can do this, when the bubble bursts for them they really will be in it

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The next TV deals could be a bit sobering when it comes up for grabs again.
The tendering for rights to show Prem games are due to be in early Feb for the next 3 year period , 2010-2013. There could be a surprise in the offing as ESPN (part of the Disney group) could be bidding for one or more of the live packages which at the moment is split between Sky and Setanta. The Premier League is also selling the overseas rights to broadcasters worldwide similar to the existing set up so all in all they will still rake it in , global recession or not.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
So basically if you have Sky Sports and Sultana you are most likely to need to purchase a subscription from ESPN as well. Does this mean Sky will lose some of their broadcasts to ESPN?

People simply wont pay for another subscription online.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So basically if you have Sky Sports and Sultana you are most likely to need to purchase a subscription from ESPN as well. Does this mean Sky will lose some of their broadcasts to ESPN?

People simply wont pay for another subscription online.
It all depends on who bids for what. Currently Sky have 4 packages and Setanta 2. The 6 packages to show live games are all up for re-tendering. There is also a rumour that ESPN would like to acquire Setanta to establish itself as a major sports broadcaster in Europe. There could be a situation where you would have to subscribe to 3 different broadcasters in order to watch all the live Prem games.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A Brazilian would be nuts to swop Milan for the rainy, slate grey skies of Manchester, even for 15mill a year.

:)

Milan weather for the next 5 days, not to different to Manchester if a little colder so silly comment realy imo

Wednesday

Sunrise 07:59 (CET)
Sunset 17:03 (CET) 0°C -4°C 1 very poor 1013 74

Thursday

Sunrise 07:59 (CET)
Sunset 17:04 (CET) -1°C -3°C 2 moderate 1022 86

Friday

Sunrise 07:58 (CET)
Sunset 17:05 (CET) 1°C -4°C 1 very poor 1026 85

Saturday

Sunrise 07:58 (CET)
Sunset 17:07 (CET) -1°C -2°C 1 very poor 1027 94

Sunday

Sunrise 07:57 (CET)
Sunset 17:08 (CET) -1°C -1°C

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
not really a silly comment from Cheeky Monkey if you compare it to transferring jobs from Brighton to Grimsby.

The figures touted are very rarely anything like reality, but it does seem as though the credit crunch is not affecting the Prem.

How can Jermain Defoe go for £8M and one year later come back for £15m?

Better ask how Harry redknapp once a nondescript average journeyman midiflder woth Est Ham in the sixties(sometime manager of lowly clubs such Bournemouth, Southampton, West Ham and now Spurs) can afford to live in the mst expensive place in Britain
images

I think the defoe deal gives you your answer.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Better ask how Harry redknapp once a nondescript average journeyman midiflder woth Est Ham in the sixties(sometime manager of lowly clubs such Bournemouth, Southampton, West Ham and now Spurs) can afford to live in the mst expensive place in Britain
images

Link doesn't work...

The figures touted are very rarely anything like reality, but it does seem as though the credit crunch is not affecting the Prem.

How can Jermain Defoe go for £8M and one year later come back for £15m?

Better ask how Harry Redknapp once a nondescript average journeyman midfielder with West Ham in the sixties(sometime manager of lowly clubs such Bournemouth, Southampton, West Ham and now Spurs) can afford to live in the mst expensive place in Britain
images

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Make him England manager too, he has a knack of turning average teams play to their strengths, just what we might need in a couple of years.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I'm not sure that these ridiculous wages are what will bring football to its knees. I'm fairly sure that mega corporations like Man City or Chelsea must have some solid insurance policies in place in the event of their rich sugardaddies getting bored or murdered or whatever.

Football is still great to watch but there are too many clubs who are still taking their fans for a ride. Put simply, £40 is far too much to pay for a ticket to a league match. I'm sure it's been said before, but you can watch full internationals at a top flight Guiness Premiership or Heineken Cup rugby match without the aggro, and taking a beer to your seat - for about fifteen quid - and less for kids.

Very much doubt any insurer would underwrite a policy like that, and if they did, the premiums would be way too high.

In many ways this is just the next step up from Abramovich. In the same way that it's difficult for any of us to even begin to get our heads around the concept of 100 million years, it's also very hard to comprehend just how rich some of these people are.

It took months to sink in when Abramovich arrived at Chelsea that he was in a completely different league to any club owner the English game had seen before, and the man from Abu Dhabi is much, much richer than Roman.

He could recruit two teams of players good enough to win the Premiership and pay the lot of them 500k a week and it wouldn't put the slightest dent in his cashflow.

As many have pointed out, City are probably screwed if he suddenly pulls out, but if Sheikh Mohammed in next-door Dubai is any guide, an Arab approach is likely to be long-term, even if it looks like short-term money-chucking at the moment.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Make him England manager too, he has a knack of turning average teams play to their strengths, just what we might need in a couple of years.

the day harry redknapp becomes england manager is the day i start claiming to be irish

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
the day harry redknapp becomes england manager is the day i start claiming to be irish

Agreed, if Harry Redknapp becomes England manager, I will become a Welsh fan, by virtue of the 1/8th Welsh in me!

Oct 25, 2003
i think quite a lot of the 'big clubs' will soon go TITS up, and you may see a major shift with regards to who are the successful clubs, with some of the clubs who have been run sensibly for the last few years starting to come good

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You have to question why any investor would want to buy into any football club outside the Big 4. The money in Champions League football has killed whatever chance any of the other sides had of winning the Prem and if (God forbid) Villa pip Arsenal to 4th spot I fully expect the Arsenal board to spend Villa out of 4th spot the following season.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Didn't our very own Dick Knight say "I'll tell you how to make a small fortune. Invest a large fortune in a football club".

Why do these people (Abramovich etc) pump so much money into football clubs for little return unless they are indeed so rich that they don't need the money. Does this make the clubs their playthings? If so, what happens to the clubs when they get bored of them?

As for Kaka being paid £500k per week - its obscene. That is more than I will probably earn in the rest of my working life!!!

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
People react too strongly to rumours.

For a start it's already gone mad, with players like Berbatov going for 32 million.

I just don't see this transfer will ever come off, especially the 500k a week part, so why don't you just wait and see if it happens before making a mass of threads about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here