Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The day football went mad. Rumours KAKA £100,000,000

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Absolutely crazy. If Man City really pay £100,000,000 how far will it go?
I can see the premiership becoming like Serie A eventually. Supporters in the premiership are becoming seriously spoilt.

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
It would be great to see him in the premier league, but the numbers being claimed at the moment are re-bloomin-diculous. £100m transfer and £260k a week wages! And no doubt Man City will still be crap.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
actaully its ony £91m, City are complete mugs if they go through with this.....

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Supporters in the premiership are becoming seriously spoilt.

Supporters in the premiership, like supporters in other leagues, are losing their jobs. They won't be able afford tickets.

Man City aside (rich play thing for wealthy arabs) I can see a serious backlash against rich prem footballers. In particular, Ashley "I was nearly physically sick when only offered £55,000 a week" Cole.

Drogba was another massively paid player who just couldn't be arsed on Sunday against Man U.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What odds on a broken leg/long term injury, within the first month, of his arrival.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
A Brazilian would be nuts to swop Milan for the rainy, slate grey skies of Manchester, even for 15mill a year.

:)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The BBC are now reporting that wages could be up to £500,000 / week!

I get less than £12 an hour (and am happy).

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I really do believe that the Premiership has gone barking mad. To me its the equivalent of watching Lost........its so far from reality. Its put me off watching MOTD.

One of the good things that might come from this recession is that people will start to lose this facination with celebrity culture that exists in and outside of football. Maybe there will be a back lash, with fans either staying away from games cos they cant afford to go or are fed up with a Prima Donna half trying and who is on £250k a week.

I can see the day (and coming soon) when Premiership clubs are playing infront of nearly empty stadiums, but surviving on Sky money or some rich Arab. It'll be totally souless, if football hasn't already lost its soul

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The BBC are now reporting that wages could be up to £500,000 / week!

I get less than £12 an hour (and am happy).

The 2 figures are the same, the difference being before and after tax.

That's right folks, Kaka will be paying £240,000 a week tax.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Is it time to bring in a salary cap? Or is that restriction of trade?

Teams like Bradford nearly went out of business by offering massive wages that they couldnt afford when income dried up but they had 2 or 3 years of contracts to honour!

Man City would be in the same boat if this billionaire pulled out and Kaka had a 3 or 4 year contract. £500k a week would be criminal.

I no longer watch Premiership football on TV and dont have sky, because players are over paid prima donas and also real fans are no longer important to clubs in the top 2 divisions. This has been highlighted again to me by the comments of Parkinson at Charlton who said the players care a lot more about the club than the fans - what a lot of rubbish, most just care about the pay cheque and being pampered to all the time!

Money has ruined football, yes its good to see great players in England but it has changed things for the worse IMHO, ie stupid ticket prices, matches at stupid times, pathetic play acting by players, wages that make footballers (Premiership and some Championship) out of touch with the real world ie Ashley Cole moaning at £55k a week.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The figures touted are very rarely anything like reality, but it does seem as though the credit crunch is not affecting the Prem.

How can Jermain Defoe go for £8M and one year later come back for £15m?

Transfer fees in the Prem are now as follows:

£3mill - starting point, very young unproven player
£4-£6mill - mediocre player
£6-£8mill - reasonable player
£8-£12mill - decent player / fringe England player
£13-£15mill - a bit of real quality about them
£15-£25mill - top drawer
£25mill onwards - Galactico

Mar 13, 2008
Lets be honest, it isn't going to happen. If he goes it wont be for the money quoted and what are the chances of him going???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The figures touted are very rarely anything like reality, but it does seem as though the credit crunch is not affecting the Prem.

I guess because (at the moment) Prem clubs on the whole arn't primarily relying on banks to finance these deals. There's still obscene amounts of cash washing around in the game from rich foreign owners, corporate sponsorship and Sky. However, I think the bubble will burst. Football, even Premiership football, will feel the chill wind eventually as these global businesses cut back on the vast sums they pour into sponsoring the Premiership. We've already seen Vodafone drop the England cricket team after sponsoring them for, what, about 10 years ? And you look at the shirt sponsor deals that have already fallen through at West Sham. West Brom still arn't even sponsored. How long can Ford continue bankrolling Sky Sports football coverage ?

The next TV deals could be a bit sobering when it comes up for grabs again.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I believe it can only be a matter of time before the prem and football will go tits up. I often wonder how many clubs in the lower leagues will be around in a couple of years. If the recession is as deep as I think it will be.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I believe it can only be a matter of time before the prem and football will go tits up. I often wonder how many clubs in the lower leagues will be around in a couple of years. If the recession is as deep as I think it will be.
I'm not sure that these ridiculous wages are what will bring football to its knees. I'm fairly sure that mega corporations like Man City or Chelsea must have some solid insurance policies in place in the event of their rich sugardaddies getting bored or murdered or whatever.

Football is still great to watch but there are too many clubs who are still taking their fans for a ride. Put simply, £40 is far too much to pay for a ticket to a league match. I'm sure it's been said before, but you can watch full internationals at a top flight Guiness Premiership or Heineken Cup rugby match without the aggro, and taking a beer to your seat - for about fifteen quid - and less for kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here