Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Dammed United.Tonight at 9.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
BBC 2. If you have never seen it,well worth a veiw. As to being accurate ? Well played by Michael Sheen as Cloughie.:wave:

Attachments

• the-damned-united-20090806101723406_640w.jpg
    the-damned-united-20090806101723406_640w.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Seen it, I wonder how many people actually know that Clough was manager here (not that he did anything).

Seen it, I wonder how many people actually know that Clough was manager here (not that he did anything).

Even though Clough may not have achieved a great deal directly in his stay at the Albion he certainly did two things.

He generated a huge amount of publicity and put the club in the public eye where it had never been before.

And he bought in Peter Taylor who certainly did achieve a lot, even if he eventually resigned for what he saw as failure.

Arguably Clough was the start of the roller coaster that is Brighton and Hove Albion. Up till his arrival we were a normal boring club.

And I can't believe that there are some of our fans who don't know he was manager here.

Are there?

God, I feel old!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
From a Brighton perspective, the biggest inaccuracy of the film was giving the impression Clough walked out on Brighton before a single game was played, making him to look like he was reneging on a verbal agreement with Mike Bamber. Maybe had the makers inserted scenes from after the Bristol Rovers & Walton & Hersham disasters, it could have added to the film.

Making Brighton appear more like a sleepy seaside town akin to Herne Bay or Bexhill on Sea wasn't very accurate either. :ohmy:

Still a great movie & great performance by Sheen.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Even though Clough may not have achieved a great deal directly in his stay at the Albion he certainly did two things.

He generated a huge amount of publicity and put the club in the public eye where it had never been before.

And he bought in Peter Taylor who certainly did achieve a lot, even if he eventually resigned for what he saw as failure.

Arguably Clough was the start of the roller coaster that is Brighton and Hove Albion. Up till his arrival we were a normal boring club.

And I can't believe that there are some of our fans who don't know he was manager here.

Are there?

God, I feel old!

I didn;t mean our fans I meant other fans. The fact that Peter Taylor came with him was more by accident than design. I know that when he was in charge he missed games to pursue other interests, he was in Las Vegas for a World Heavyweight title fight for one home game. As far as I'm concerned he was a waste of space here whatever he achieved elsewhere. I remember loosing 8-2 at home to Bristol Rovers and then 4-0 at home to Walton and Hersham, (two games I had the misfortune to see). Whatever crap we've been served up over the years nothing was as bad as that, even loosing 5-0 to Palace pales by comparison.

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
Great film. I thought the Brighton bit of the film was very funny. Some of the quotes he comes out with were very funny. I think most of the scenes were good and believable. The scene when he is on his knees begging for Peter Taylor to work with him again was a bit far fetched, as I can't see Clough ever doing that, as he was so arrogant. I don't see why Nigel Clough hates the film so much; I think the film portrays Brian Clough as the flawed genius that he was.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cracking film, and a VERY absorbing book.

A deleted scene from the film at half time, when Derby are 0-1 down at home to Leeds (and Clough is Derby manager) has him coming into the dressing room ranting and raving about them playing so SHIT they clearly want him sacked. So he pours them all a brandy to toast him for his "final game", and he plonks the bottle down in the middle of the dressing room and tells Taylor that NO-ONE leaves the dressing room for the 2nd half until the rest of the bottle has been drunk. Cue some queesy looking Derby players going out for the 2nd half.

What you see in the film is Clough pacing around in the boardroom not watching the game, just listening to the oohs and ahhs of the crowd, before the final whistle goes and Peter tells him the score...

Cracking deleted scene. Dunno why they left it out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here