Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Current Credit Crunch

Is The Current Credit Crunch Causing You Financial Pain ?

• Yes

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 61.3%
  • I am on the phone to Ocean Finance as I post

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Really, less people going out now I assume ?

Thursdays and Mondays are on their arse at the moment [used to get 400-500 people in, £2 entry all drinks £1.50, now its free entry, all drinks £1.50 and we're lucky to do 200], you used to get alot of people out on say a monday or thursday and a friday or saturday, now it just seems people are only going out on a friday or saturday. Also the older crowd [25+] aren't out as much as more simply because of money!

I am lucky; we rent our house (and rental rates have gone up here significantly yet) so haven't been hit that way. I also live near work, so always cycle in. However the better half is starting a new job in September that will require a 40 mile round commute, so not looking forward to those added costs!

In work terms, economic consultantcies tend to do pretty well out of uncertainty. We have lost some subscribers to our reports but generally get more project work.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Not as yet, but Mrs Scooter is due to drop our first(and only) little'un around Christmas, so when she gives up work things will change significantly.
I'm currently getting all the "boys stuff" that I think i'll need for the next 18 years whilst there is still a bit of spare cash floating around.

If you could pop that Ocean Finance URL up around mid January, i'll take advantage of it then - Thanks!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Been affected big time. Have dropped house price by £20,000 (10%) and it still won't sell. Lovely house, 50-ft garden, a minute from two lovely commons. Very frustrating. There are 15 houses to every one buyer atm in south east London, and with mortgages hard to get, people are simply not buying.

Struggling to cope on one income now that Mrs ELS has no money coming in during maternity leave, so she's gonna have to go back to work early. Blah blah blah...it's all doom and gloom here, atm :(

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Been affected big time. Have dropped house price by £20,000 (10%) and it still won't sell. Lovely house, 50-ft garden, a minute from two lovely commons. Very frustrating. There are 15 houses to every one buyer atm in south east London, and with mortgages hard to get, people are simply not buying.

Struggling to cope on one income now that Mrs ELS has no money coming in during maternity leave, so she's gonna have to go back to work early. Blah blah blah...it's all doom and gloom here, atm :(

What area do you live?

No, we're not. Sounds glib now but suspected something unpleasant was coming along after a bizzare meeting with some complete bullshiters from Bradford and Bingley over two years ago. Wife sold her shares in them the following week.
Mortgage is paid off, no credit card debts. UK Business not really affected; European affiliations thriving although I do less with them now due to the C.
Have modified my driving technique and try to more work home to reduce the motoring related costs - current diesel usage is down about 65% on 2006/7.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've been able to find a plumber and various other tradesmen to assist with our house re-decoration because nobody else can afford to get them in - so that's good news. :thumbsup:

And my job is as safe as houses what with me working hard and spending no time on the internet.

So far, so good. Although I'm not looking forward to my fixed mortgage rate elapsing in 18 months.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've just decided not to have a credit crunch, worked out great for me.

But then I'm young, no student loan, no credit cards, running a car and rent are my only money worries.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Our mortgage has 2 and half years left till needing renewal and the wife has just changed jobs to being a class room assistant so more hours and far better money than previous.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Tip - I have heard that a lot of garages put their petrol prices up by a couple of pence fridays to make more out of the fact that many more people fill their car up on Friday than any other day of the week. Anyone noticed this?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As yet no, but in truth we do live well within our means. Having two little ones and so not being able to go out much, kind of ensures that anyway. Also, my wife doesn't like to fly, so no really expensive holidays.

The football is my only significant non-essential expenditure.

Fuel prices haven't hit me, as I have a company car, and pay a set 9p/mile for private mileage, though I expect the taxman will force this figure up soon.

My fixed mortgage rate runs out in December though, so that may be interesting.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Ran out of my fixed rate mortgage 2 months ago so am hit big style by that managed to get a good deal for a 5year fixed from now but still much more than I was paying. Two young kids and a wife to support means I am pretty skint most of the time still afford the season ticket so thats the important thing sorted

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Sadly I need to remortgage this month. Not good.

Car also getting very expensive to run.

But hey, it's only money.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hang on...NON-essential ? ???

My family will STARVE before I go without my season ticket.

I never had you marked as a BAD FAN, Hans.

I must admit, i did mean to put 'non-essential', in inverted commas.

It is fairly significant though. I play twice a week, which with a beer afterwards probably costs me £20 a week [ie £1000 a year]. Add that to about £500 in tickets to the Albion for me and my two boys, plus £20 travel costs for each home game and you're looking at over £2000 without even thinking about away games.

Not that I begrudge a penny of it, mind. It all comes under the heading 'football', but it encompasses my hobbies, my exercise and half of my social life, so when you look at it like that is GREAT value :thumbsup:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Tip - I have heard that a lot of garages put their petrol prices up by a couple of pence fridays to make more out of the fact that many more people fill their car up on Friday than any other day of the week. Anyone noticed this?

weird as it sounds i have noticed this. also the goods in petrol station shops seems to be a lot more expensive than they used to be 65p for crisps and in some cases £5.90 for cigs

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I must admit, i did mean to put 'non-essential', in inverted commas.

It is fairly significant though. I play twice a week, which with a beer afterwards probably costs me £20 a week [ie £1000 a year]. Add that to about £500 in tickets to the Albion for me and my two boys, plus £20 travel costs for each home game and you're looking at over £2000 without even thinking about away games.

Not that I begrudge a penny of it, mind. It all comes under the heading 'football', but it encompasses my hobbies, my exercise and half of my social life, so when you look at it like that is GREAT value :thumbsup:

That is indeed a sizable commitment :clap:
I suppose I do take for granted living within 3/4 miles of Withers. My travel is therefore NEGLIGABLE.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Thursdays and Mondays are on their arse at the moment [used to get 400-500 people in, £2 entry all drinks £1.50, now its free entry, all drinks £1.50 and we're lucky to do 200], you used to get alot of people out on say a monday or thursday and a friday or saturday, now it just seems people are only going out on a friday or saturday. Also the older crowd [25+] aren't out as much as more simply because of money!

Could the smoking ban be part of the issue?

I don't hardly ever go to the pub now due to prices and smoking ban.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here