Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.irishnews.com/news/ukne...al-reduction-in-hospital-admissions--2231458/

The Covid-19 vaccination programme has been linked to a substantial reduction in hospital admissions, experts have said.

Researchers examined coronavirus hospital admissions in Scotland among people who have had their first jab and compared them with those who had not yet received a dose of the vaccine.

Scientists from the University of Edinburgh, the University of Strathclyde and Public Health Scotland examined data on people who had received either the Pfizer/BioNTech jab or the one developed by experts at the University of Oxford with AstraZeneca.

By the fourth week after receiving the initial dose, the Pfizer and Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccines were shown to reduce the risk of hospital admission from Covid-19 by up to 85% and 94%, respectively, they found.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This is an uplifting article.

I've been paying quite close attention to the vaccine development ('obsessive' according to my family) and I still hadn't realised just how good they really are:

https://www.livescience.com/covid-1...ed.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

OK.

I just didn't know this ....

One common misunderstanding is that 95% efficacy means that in the Pfizer clinical trial, 5% of vaccinated people got COVID. But that's not true; the actual percentage of vaccinated people in the Pfizer (and Moderna) trials who got COVID-19 was about a hundred times less than that: 0.04%. .....

Maybe i'm a bit dim. But there must be millions of others, some of them thinking about whether they should get the vaccine that don't know either

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers update :

Infections - 10,641, rolling 7 day down 11.1%
Deaths - 178, rolling 7 day down 26.9%
Admissions - 1,304, rolling 7 day down 20.9%
Vaccinations - 141k first jabs, 9k second jabs (seems low but reported number is always lower on Mondays)

Whilst the rate of infections seems to be hovering stubbornly around the 10k mark, the death and admission rates continue to fall - the admissions in particular falling in almost a linear fashion for several weeks now. Beginning to wonder if well continue to see relatively high infection rates but get to a situation where despite this, admissions dwindle away to very few - ie living with Covid. This may be the answer, at least until the vacc programme is completed - as long as people aren't getting seriously ill this is good news, and the number of admissions and people in hospital (declining at a similar rate) are showing this, at least for now.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Numbers update :

Infections - 10,641, rolling 7 day down 11.1%
Deaths - 178, rolling 7 day down 26.9%
Admissions - 1,304, rolling 7 day down 20.9%
Vaccinations - 141k first jabs, 9k second jabs (seems low but reported number is always lower on Mondays)

Whilst the rate of infections seems to be hovering stubbornly around the 10k mark, the death and admission rates continue to fall - the admissions in particular falling in almost a linear fashion for several weeks now. Beginning to wonder if well continue to see relatively high infection rates but get to a situation where despite this, admissions dwindle away to very few - ie living with Covid. This may be the answer, at least until the vacc programme is completed - as long as people aren't getting seriously ill this is good news, and the number of admissions and people in hospital (declining at a similar rate) are showing this, at least for now.

Which is basically the case with Flu every year. I think there is still some way to go before cases actually stabilise and then remain at whatever level that is, but I expect that there will come a point at which cases remain at one level, but hospitalisations continue to reduce, and as better treatments come on line, deaths will continue to fall. This seems to be the most realistic "best case" scenario as this isn't a disease like smallpox that can be completely wiped out

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
A friend of mine, who is 32, in perfect health, and lives in Lancing has been invited for her Covid jab tomorrow.

I think a lot of us might be getting the call quicker than we think.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
A friend of mine, who is 32, in perfect health, and lives in Lancing has been invited for her Covid jab tomorrow.

I think a lot of us might be getting the call quicker than we think.

This must be an admin error. No point in her wasting the appointment though!

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
This must be an admin error. No point in her wasting the appointment though!

I asked her how she wangled it and just this minute got an email back from her. She gives two potential reasons.

1. She lives with her parents. Dad is 65 and mum has a heart and lung condition.

2. She's having a secret love affair with Boris Johnson.

My money's on the former. :)

But maybe in certain regions, away from big cities, they've gone though all the top tiers and are ploughing on regardless rather than wait for the bigger areas to catch up. I'm in Rustington, mind, and haven't had the summons yet.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I asked her how she wangled it and just this minute got an email back from her. She gives two potential reasons.

1. She lives with her parents. Dad is 65 and mum has a heart and lung condition.

2. She's having a secret love affair with Boris Johnson.

My money's on the former. :)

But maybe in certain regions, away from big cities, they've gone though all the top tiers and are ploughing on regardless rather than wait for the bigger areas to catch up. I'm in Rustington, mind, and haven't had the summons yet.

EDIT.

They have added CARERS to Group 6.

So it will be her parents medical condition that allows her to have the jab and her registration as "unpaid" carer at a local GP. It's nothing to do with her age.

Also doesn't mean you will get your jab any quicker though unfortunately.

1) residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
2) people 80+ and frontline health and social care workers
3) 75 years of age and over
4) 70+ and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
5) 65+
6) anyone from 16 to 64 with underlying health conditions, which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality / those who are unpaid carers
7) 60+
8) 55+
9) 50+

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lowest daily hospital admissions in England since mid October, with 925.

Dramatic drop.

Good news, but it's actually it's not dramatic (which is also a good thing), it's just the continuation of the trend - from the peak of over 4k on Jan 12th, its been very steadily dropping pretty much every single day since, often by 1-200.

Data here : https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some politics, but for once maturity from both sides .... genuinely really pleased to Johnson and Starmer singing from the same hymn sheet. Together with the expertise SAGE and the amazing vaccines, this truly appears to be THE pathway to normality.

Just 17 weeks to go.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
EDIT.

They have added CARERS to Group 6.

So it will be her parents medical condition that allows her to have the jab and her registration as "unpaid" carer at a local GP. It's nothing to do with her age.

Also doesn't mean you will get your jab any quicker though unfortunately.

1) residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
2) people 80+ and frontline health and social care workers
3) 75 years of age and over
4) 70+ and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
5) 65+
6) anyone from 16 to 64 with underlying health conditions, which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality / those who are unpaid carers
7) 60+
8) 55+
9) 50+

Is that a recent change for carers? My next door neighbours would be very grateful for that, having been told "no" a few weeks ago.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Sister and Wife both called up for a jab this weekend. 51 & 48, but with health conditions that neither they nor I knew were on the list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here