Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Is there any chart or info that deciphers positive tests from people showing symptoms

I can’t find a specific chart for that, but I guess you could take the number of positive tests and register it against the number of people who have registered as showing symptoms but this number has not been published that I’ve seen, there’s this chart from the Kings college London app which has over 4 million downloads

901668-1025x646.gif

I’m getting irritated by the governments lack of posting recovery data now to be honest, a week ago we were told they would do as pretty much every other world country has done and post recovery figures yet these figures still haven’t been released, everyday we see this 8000 new cases estimate so if they can’t give us an accurate figure why not give us an estimate as to recoveries as well? Seen as 80% of people who have this are totally symptomless.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I can’t find a specific chart for that, but I guess you could take the number of positive tests and register it against the number of people who have registered as showing symptoms but this number has not been published that I’ve seen, there’s this chart from the Kings college London app which has over 4 million downloads

901668-1025x646.gif

I’m getting irritated by the governments lack of posting recovery data now to be honest, a week ago we were told they would do as pretty much every other world country has done and post recovery figures yet these figures still haven’t been released, everyday we see this 8000 new cases estimate so if they can’t give us an accurate figure why not give us an estimate as to recoveries as well? Seen as 80% of people who have this are totally symptomless.

The Kings College app updated today to give an estimate on 3rd June, based on data from 17th to 30th May.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/

Daily new cases are down a further 17% from previous week for UK (I am slightly suspicious that this is exactly the same % as the fall from the week before, but I am sure that's a coincidence) and down 11% for England.

Estimate for all UK is 9,400 new cases daily (symptomatic cases in people below 70 only). This represents an extremely low risk at the individual level. The real risk now lies at the community/national level - whether or not we can mange the virus and keep infection rates at, or below, current levels.

This will, in effect, be a test of how far we, as a nation, are prepared to put individual convenience ahead of collective good. Or to put it another way, 'how selfish are we really'? So far, it's turned out, as it has in the past, that we are actually far less selfish than many might assume (and less than some people would like).

Anyway, I find the Kings College methodology convincing. It is based on a very high number of people self reporting (first symptoms and then whether or not the go on to test positve), and should be getting increasingly accurate over time as they get more and more data and as they have also started to back up the self reporting with a substantial program of random testing amongst their sample base.

As a way to identify overall trends (albeit with a 1-2 week lag) this is now my 'go to' source.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
New episodes of EastEnders will be paused from next week.

Filming of the long-running soap - set in London's East End - was halted in March as the coronavirus pandemic hit the UK.

The BBC has been broadcasting fewer weekly episodes since then, in an attempt to make the stock of existing footage last as long as possible.

But the corporation has now confirmed the last new episode will be aired on Tuesday.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Nearly two million Britons who are living with lung conditions have seen their symptoms improve as a result of the coronavirus lockdown, research suggests.
The British Lung Foundation surveyed more than 14,000 people living with everything from asthma to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
One in six (16.2%) praised the fall in air pollution, with extreme restrictions forcing many to stay indoors
When extrapolated out to the general population, around 1.94 million patients are said to be enjoying the cleaner air.

Source: Yahoo News

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Probably nice news rather than good news.
Bloody footballers.

[tweet]1268488877473398785[/tweet]

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Its great that the numbers are falling but what none of these graphs tell us is what the picture should have looked like had the situation been handled better. A matter for conjecture agreed but what is clear some countries have handled it much better so let's make sure we understand why and if there is better practise to be learnt then it is learnt before we unlock the doors.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Its great that the numbers are falling but what none of these graphs tell us is what the picture should have looked like had the situation been handled better. A matter for conjecture agreed but what is clear some countries have handled it much better so let's make sure we understand why and if there is better practise to be learnt then it is learnt before we unlock the doors.

Not disagreeing with you but we don’t half have a lot of experts on what could have been done better. I could’ve done better on last week’s lottery now I know the result.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not the thread for that discussion..................

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Probably nice news rather than good news.
Bloody footballers.

[tweet]1268488877473398785[/tweet]

When all we ever hear about is the antics of Kyle Walker or Jack Grealish this is very refreshing. Seems a good chap.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Just 115 deaths announced in England hospitals, compared to 189 last Thursday, 94 of those are from the last 5 days.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
New episodes of EastEnders will be paused from next week.

Filming of the long-running soap - set in London's East End - was halted in March as the coronavirus pandemic hit the UK.

The BBC has been broadcasting fewer weekly episodes since then, in an attempt to make the stock of existing footage last as long as possible.

But the corporation has now confirmed the last new episode will be aired on Tuesday.

This is the good news thread.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Good news for Belgians

Tweet from the Prof

Belgians were given a clear, weekly timetable on how they would ease out of lockdown.

Pubs are reopening, and soon religious ceremonies (100 people) and weddings (50) can go ahead.

Belgium suffered badly, but an open and honest plan has allowed the country to move forward.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Good news for Belgians

Tweet from the Prof

Belgians were given a clear, weekly timetable on how they would ease out of lockdown.

Pubs are reopening, and soon religious ceremonies (100 people) and weddings (50) can go ahead.

Belgium suffered badly, but an open and honest plan has allowed the country to move forward.

Good news indeed, Belgium have been hit horribly by this virus, worse than the U.K. but they are one of the only other countries across Europe who have been registering deaths similar to the way the U.K. has, where even if you die in a car crash, if you have COVID in your system it counts as a COVID death, an extreme example but you get the point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here