Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
657 reported new Hospital deaths in England for yesterday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
According to the government tracker there is only 199 confirmed cases in Brighton & Hove, considering we were one of the first to see an outbreak how is that even possible given how contagious this virus is? 270k population.

Most covid19 cases will never need hospital and going by French stats only 22% of those hospitalised will need Intensive Care.

I have family working in Brighton and Worthing hospital wards, which were converted for additional covid19 cases, still all completely empty.

The calm before the storm, or a positive from social distancing?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Most covid19 cases will never need hospital and going by French stats only 22% of those hospitalised will need Intensive Care.

I have family working in Brighton and Worthing hospital wards, which were converted for additional covid19 cases, still all completely empty.

Definitely the latter.
I work at goring hall hospital and we’ve stopped taking private patients.
Basically handing the hospital over to the NHS.
We will take long term patients from Worthing to free up beds for COVID patients.
There is still no sign of taking any patients from Worthing at the moment, so we know Worthing are more than coping.
This may of course change but no signs of that as of yet

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Daughter is reporting the same - her hospital has been cleared out of as many patients as possible, wards readied for Covid19 influx and at the moment seems about 50% full, with more staff than usual so the staff/patient ration is ridiculous compared to normal (on her last shift they had 3 nurses and 3 auxs for 12 patients compared with 2+2 for 30 on a normal shift). I guess this is why Hancock was essentially stating the NHS can now cope with the numbers. If that amount of headroom remains, and new case numbers start to decline, I can see lockdown easing at least a bit in a couple of weeks.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Daughter is reporting the same - her hospital has been cleared out of as many patients as possible, wards readied for Covid19 influx and at the moment seems about 50% full, with more staff than usual so the staff/patient ration is ridiculous compared to normal (on her last shift they had 3 nurses and 3 auxs for 12 patients compared with 2+2 for 30 on a normal shift). I guess this is why Hancock was essentially stating the NHS can now cope with the numbers. If that amount of headroom remains, and new case numbers start to decline, I can see lockdown easing at least a bit in a couple of weeks.

That would be, said with caution in case there are further waves in the pandemic, a hugely positive outcome compared to the worst we all imagined. Social distancing, and self isolation by the vulnerable, the probable reason.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That would be, said with caution in case there are further waves in the pandemic, a hugely positive outcome compared to the worst we all imagined. Social distancing, and self isolation by the vulnerable, the probable reason.

You would hope any further waves would be slower to rise (due to existing and growing immunity, and certain social distancing measures that will remain), and be prepared for far better.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very positive to hear Brighton and Worthing hospitals are coping well. An ex-housemate of my wife’s is a nurse at Brighton and is saying much the same - surprisingly quiet at the moment and well staffed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's local good news (for now) isn't it?

There seem to be some really shitty hotspots - London and Birmingham (not surprisingly) but also Newport, Gwent. To a degree this was the issue in Italy. Lombardy totally overrun while other areas were relatively free.

There must be a real balancing act between wanting to take cases in from other places in the country and knowing that if you do, you are screwed if it kicks off locally.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
My Niece is working in the Royal Sussex and is saying it is half empty and have been waiting for this mass influx of cases which still hasn't happened, she said the biggest problem is with staff nicking PPE etc.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Didn't know where else to put it but this feels positive for people obeying the instructions

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Yep caution is the word ..but at least it can be seen as a positive that the sacrifices that the majority are making in one way or another are having an impact...depriving this horrid despicable thing of the oxygen it craves

Last edited:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Contact tracing app could help ease lockdown restrictions earlier than thought.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coro...act-with-infected/ar-BB12uOyg?ocid=spartanntp

So what I’m yet to see is confirmation of what a positive notification would mean? Being alerted to the fact you’ve been in proximity to someone who has tested positive does what exactly? Make you run home and self isolate for 7 days?

How’s that going to work on public transport surely you just need one positive person on a carriage and then everyone has to self isolate.

And how do you convince those who have had it record that they have in the app?! Surely all it does is risk making pariahs of people who have it or have had it...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
My Niece is working in the Royal Sussex and is saying it is half empty and have been waiting for this mass influx of cases which still hasn't happened, she said the biggest problem is with staff nicking PPE etc.

I've heard - and this is purely anecdotally - that St Richards and Worthing hospitals are similar. You've go to grab the good news where you can.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So what I’m yet to see is confirmation of what a positive notification would mean? Being alerted to the fact you’ve been in proximity to someone who has tested positive does what exactly? Make you run home and self isolate for 7 days?

How’s that going to work on public transport surely you just need one positive person on a carriage and then everyone has to self isolate.

And how do you convince those who have had it record that they have in the app?! Surely all it does is risk making pariahs of people who have it or have had it...

The chief Scottish medical officer was on BBC news this morning stating that mass testing is not the panacea that many think. The real game changer is the antibody test, because as he said, if he was tested Monday, and the test result comes back Tuesday, the result only tells him that he was clear of the virus on Monday, not whether he has it now on the Tuesday.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why is the **** in the white lorry in the second lane :angry:

Because they're working on a cure for coronavirus, not "being a ****".

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
According to the government tracker there is only 199 confirmed cases in Brighton & Hove, considering we were one of the first to see an outbreak how is that even possible given how contagious this virus is? 270k population.

I assumed that Brighton & Hove would be a real hotspot by now, but as was pointed out to me yesterday, there are no students at the universities (or at least very few) and that takes a sizeable chunk of the population out of the area. A group that would otherwise be extremely sociable and mobile, living in close proximity, and providing a very easy way for the virus to spread.

Add to that the fact that the city is built on its tourism, pubs, clubs and general party vibe – and all those things are closed down – visitor numbers will be almost negligible.

So, that just leaves the resident population, and if everyone stays sensible there ought to be a really good chance of keeping the numbers relatively low.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here