Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My new husband and I had our second vaccines this morning, so more good news for us this week.

Your NEW husband ? You've only just got one !

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Are you suggesting that people who are concerned about COVID don't want people to enjoy themselves ? If so you are a prize c*nt.

Most people I know who are concerned just want a continuation of a moderated return to people's lives e.g. wearing of masks in places like shops where shop assistants are and feel vulnerable and that people continue to take steps to protect other like frequent hand washing. Why throw away the good practices.

No I'm suggesting those who venomously call for tighter restrictions, on going until there is zero covid, they mostly have a blue heart after their name and usually retired or are able to work from home and live a nice comfortable life, will be seething, they usually don't give a toss about anyone that has suffered financially or mentally due to the restrictions imposed, you prize c*nt x
I hope that clarifies things for you.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I apologise for upsetting the wider community but I found the original comment very insulting and felt it had to be answered.

If you found it insulting, that says more about you than I, get some help if you're that triggered by a comment on a football message board....unless you do identify as a "covidian" in which case I'm glad you were triggered !

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
**Taps the thread title**

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
39k positive tests reported today - lowest for 5 days and a big drop on 3 previous days (despite Monday reported numbers usually being a little higher than those reported at the weekend).

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
39k positive tests reported today - lowest for 5 days and a big drop on 3 previous days (despite Monday reported numbers usually being a little higher than those reported at the weekend).

Really good news, probably helped by not testing so many school children this week

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Meghan Bobrowsky [MENTION=17392]meg[/MENTION]hanBobrowsky
·
18 Jul
American kids watched so much Peppa Pig during the pandemic that they developed British accents and started regularly using British words like “holiday” instead of “vacation,” confusing their parents. Pig facePig nose

My first A-Hed for
@WSJ
with
@Preetika_Rana
:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No I'm suggesting those who venomously call for tighter restrictions, on going until there is zero covid, they mostly have a blue heart after their name and usually retired or are able to work from home and live a nice comfortable life, will be seething, they usually don't give a toss about anyone that has suffered financially or mentally due to the restrictions imposed, you prize c*nt x
I hope that clarifies things for you.

That post is grotesque :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is a good news thread. I would like to recant something I have written more than once, elsewhere, that the '% sucess rate of the vaccine' data are highly contaminated by failed vaccinations and people misreporting or medics misdiagnosing, and that the true success rate for the vaccine is fixed, and individuals are made either resistant or not. I omitted to consider that viruses are rather different from bacteria. The immune response to bacteria is typically quicker and more effective than that to a virus (bacteria are big buggers, less difficult to miss) and the outcome for a new vaccine for bacteria will appear to be all (100% immune) or none. However this is not the same for vaccines agains viruses. Clinical outcome (severity of disease and risk of death) are related to viral load (literally how many active viruses are attacking your cells). Having a vaccinated system means the immune response will be quicker than without, so move viruses are zapped more quickly, keeping the viral load below what it would have been. So instead of death you may get just severely ill, or not very ill, or no symptoms. Likewise as your viral load is less high there is less virus to spread so the R rate falls in the vaccinated population. That's how I understand it (now) anyhow. One lives and learns.

So looking at the data, yes there are lots of people positive and, for the moment, R is high. The proof of the vaccine pudding will be (i) if we see a much lower proportion of positives going to hospital in this wave. Currently the chance of people with Covid going to hospital is around one third what it was in Janury. And those who go to hospital are much less likely to die. That's the vaccine, that it. The other part of the proof will be (ii) if the increase in cases suddenly tips over and falls, with a swifter fall than last time, accompanied by a greatly reduced total number of hospitalizations, and a tiny peak in deaths. We shall know, in two weeks, if that's the case or not (all the numbers are currently still rising). Daily death numbers coming down will seal the deal for me. I'm optimistic, hence my posting on this thread :thumbsup:

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
That post is grotesque :shrug:

Unfortunately this thread has become harder and harder for the "really concerned about covid and understand why restrictions are in place" to look through. Shame as was great at first.Think personally will bow out myself and leave them to it.

EDIT - Not saying this is relevant to everyone, there is still some genuinely great stuff being posted, just with too many arguments inbetween.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is a good news thread. I would like to recant something I have written more than once, elsewhere, that the '% sucess rate of the vaccine' data are highly contaminated by failed vaccinations and people misreporting or medics misdiagnosing, and that the true success rate for the vaccine is fixed, and individuals are made either resistant or not. I omitted to consider that viruses are rather different from bacteria. The immune response to bacteria is typically quicker and more effective than that to a virus (bacteria are big buggers, less difficult to miss) and the outcome for a new vaccine for bacteria will appear to be all (100% immune) or none. However this is not the same for vaccines agains viruses. Clinical outcome (severity of disease and risk of death) are related to viral load (literally how many active viruses are attacking your cells). Having a vaccinated system means the immune response will be quicker than without, so move viruses are zapped more quickly, keeping the viral load below what it would have been. So instead of death you may get just severely ill, or not very ill, or no symptoms. Likewise as your viral load is less high there is less virus to spread so the R rate falls in the vaccinated population. That's how I understand it (now) anyhow. One lives and learns.

So looking at the data, yes there are lots of people positive and, for the moment, R is high. The proof of the vaccine pudding will be (i) if we see a much lower proportion of positives going to hospital in this wave. Currently the chance of people with Covid going to hospital is around one third what it was in Janury. And those who go to hospital are much less likely to die. That's the vaccine, that it. The other part of the proof will be (ii) if the increase in cases suddenly tips over and falls, with a swifter fall than last time, accompanied by a greatly reduced total number of hospitalizations, and a tiny peak in deaths. We shall know, in two weeks, if that's the case or not (all the numbers are currently still rising). Daily death numbers coming down will seal the deal for me. I'm optimistic, hence my posting on this thread :thumbsup:

I’d argue the lack of paragraphs here is a little grotesque…:wink:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
[TWEET]1416850870453538819[/TWEET]

A nice visual representation of the kinds of figures [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] is referring to.

Good. This is about where I'd like to be eventually - where Covid is something I might catch, like flu, but less likely as I'm fully vaxed, and I'm continuing to take reasonable precautions - but most importantly, although like flu it will be unpleasant, it is unlikely to kill me.
Also good news to me is that all those anti-vaxxers and micro-chip conspiracy theorists will find come September that they can't go clubbing, or presumably get into gigs either. I will be much happier going to gigs knowing that everyone else there is double jabbed!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good. This is about where I'd like to be eventually - where Covid is something I might catch, like flu, but less likely as I'm fully vaxed, and continue taking reasonable precautions - but most importantly, although like flu it will be unpleasant, it is unlikely to kill me.
Also good news to me is that all those anti-vaxxers and micro-chip conspiracy theorists will find come September that they can't go clubbing, or presumably get into gigs either. I will be much happier going to gigs knowing that everyone else there is double jabbed!

I’ll be happy youngsters can’t go to gigs and talk all the way through and film everything on their ****ing phones. :lolol:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Unfortunately this thread has become harder and harder for the "really concerned about covid and understand why restrictions are in place" to look through. Shame as was great at first.Think personally will bow out myself and leave them to it.

EDIT - Not saying this is relevant to everyone, there is still some genuinely great stuff being posted, just with too many arguments inbetween.

sorry if my 'argument' was the last straw for you .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here