Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stark contrast between waves in terms of infections vs deaths………

22138332-14A6-4F30-8239-462F930DF2D6.png

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Went to the RHS Garden Festival on Tuesday. As ever Middle England observed face coverings & social distancing.

On train back three teenage oiks got on at Crawley, no face coverings and sat right next to one another, mostly looking at their phones and telling each other how f*cking amazing their day out had been.

I wouldn't wish COVID on anyone, well actually I would, three less oxygen thieves wouldn't hurt the world too much.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Went to the RHS Garden Festival on Tuesday. As ever Middle England observed face coverings & social distancing.

On train back three teenage oiks got on at Crawley, no face coverings and sat right next to one another, mostly looking at their phones and telling each other how f*cking amazing their day out had been.

I wouldn't wish COVID on anyone, well actually I would, three less oxygen thieves wouldn't hurt the world too much.

Wrong thread.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Blimey, kids having a good time. Whatever next? I see this as good news

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Were they singing Sweet Caroline as well?

Erm..wrong thread :)

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Stark contrast between waves in terms of infections vs deaths………

View attachment 138405

Such a shame that most of the media still only focus on one half of the data when this shows what a fantastic job those developing the vaccines have done .

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon

What a bitter and unnecessary thing to say

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Based on what you’ve just posted, I’d rather sit next to the three teenagers than you.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Guys, "good news" thread...

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Up to the 25th June 2021 (in England only), The latest estimates indicate that the vaccination programme has directly averted over 46,300 hospitalisations. Analysis on the direct and indirect impact of the vaccination programme on infections and mortality, suggests the vaccination programme has prevented between 7.5 and 8.9 million infections and between 29,000 and 31,800 deaths.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...512/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_27.pdf

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Guys, "good news" thread...

Whilst I agree with you......and many others on this thread, is it not time now to close it....?

Some of the stats being bandied about look like clutching at straws just to keep it going.

There has been much good news in the recent past few months and for many this thread has lifted the doom and gloom. Quit while you're winning rather than be a shadow of past excellence.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Whilst I agree with you......and many others on this thread, is it not time now to close it....?

Some of the stats being bandied about look like clutching at straws just to keep it going.

There has been much good news in the recent past few months and for many this thread has lifted the doom and gloom. Quit while you're winning rather than be a shadow of past excellence.

Don't read it and don't post in it if you don't want to, some people still need to see positive news to help alleviate worries that things are pretty awful and getting worse.

The other thread is there to post what you like

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If you don’t find the thread helpful, don’t open it. From what I understand there are several on here who like to read positive news for a whole host of reasons including mental wellbeing - there is enough doom and gloom in the media (and elsewhere on here) if that’s what you prefer. The stats being posted are almost always factual (and quickly called out if not).

IMO the time to close this thread will be when we’re out of this - much more good news is needed to get to that point, and this is the place for it in here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Please post positive news relating to Coronavirus in this thread

For each post, include a link to somewhere that, in your opinion, appears to be a legitimate source, along with a short precis or quote relating to the news.

Please read the above

Any failure to understand and comply can and will lead to thread bans or infractions. Ta.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Zoe app is already hinting that we may be close to plateauing, but still good to hear it from people who analyse the data much more closely than us.

[TWEET]1413567250691395586[/TWEET]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is encouraging for a large number of people - very large sample used for the study too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57781073

Covid vaccines are highly effective in people with underlying health conditions who were advised to shield earlier in the pandemic, real-world UK data reveals.
The study of more than a million people in at-risk groups shows two doses of the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccines are needed for this protection.
Being double-jabbed reduced the risk of symptomatic Covid-19 by around 90%.
One dose cut it by about 60%, says Public Health England (PHE).
It takes a couple of weeks for the protection offered by a second to kick in.
Protection against hospitalisation and death in at-risk groups is expected to be greater than protection against symptomatic disease, as has been seen in studies of the general population, although more data is needed to confirm this.
The preprint study findings also cover a time period when the Alpha, or UK, coronavirus variant was dominant, rather than the Delta one, which is behind most infections occurring now.
But experts are increasingly confident that existing vaccines still work well against Delta.
Dr Mary Ramsay, head of immunisation at PHE, said: "This real-world data shows for the first time that most people who are clinically vulnerable to Covid-19 still receive high levels of protection after two doses of vaccine.
"It is vital that anyone with an underlying condition gets both doses, especially people with weakened immune systems as they gain so much more benefit from the second dose."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here