Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Road fatalities must be down? The figures are never publicised but they must be up there with Chigagos murder rate?
The figures must be down overall, but there are a noticeable amount of lunatics now on country roads assuming there is no traffic coming the other way and driving like they are on a grand prix circuit.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Latest study by London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine suggesting lockdown may have reduced transmission rate (R value) from 2.6 (i.e. each infect person infects 2.6 more people on average) to between 0.37-0.89, most likely value being 0.62.

[TWEET]1245290448383553537[/TWEET]

The numbers are going to be horrible for the next few days/weeks, but this is largely due to people's actions and movements pre-lockdown.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1245284388004298752[/TWEET]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not necessarily a big fan previously, but The Telegraph's reporting has been very sensible from what I have seen so far. This is an interesting article further to the LSHTM study;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/number-one-important-covid-19-sweeps-britain/

The science is actually fairly simple. We keep the number below 1, and this virus WILL **** off. The lower we get the number below 1, the sooner it ****s off, and we can get on with working out what to do next to stop a restart of infections.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Latest study by London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine suggesting lockdown may have reduced transmission rate (R value) from 2.6 (i.e. each infect person infects 2.6 more people on average) to between 0.37-0.89, most likely value being 0.62.

[TWEET]1245290448383553537[/TWEET]

The numbers are going to be horrible for the next few days/weeks, but this is largely due to people's actions and movements pre-lockdown.

...and a transmission rate of below 1.0 means actual decline. 0.62 means quite rapid decline. And given that the period between getting the virus and death is around 17 days the death rate should start to fall, quickly, by mid-April. Am I getting this wrong?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
...and a transmission rate of below 1.0 means actual decline. 0.62 means quite rapid decline. And given that the period between getting the virus and death is around 17 days the death rate should start to fall, quickly, by mid-April. Am I getting this wrong?

We would certainly hope to be in a much more positive position by the end of April. Also, I think the period between infection and death varies quite a lot - it seems some may die within a few days of being infected. Or are you suggesting 17 is an averaged out number?

April is going to suck. But it will also end.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Not necessarily a big fan previously, but The Telegraph's reporting has been very sensible from what I have seen so far. This is an interesting article further to the LSHTM study;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/number-one-important-covid-19-sweeps-britain/

The science is actually fairly simple. We keep the number below 1, and this virus WILL **** off. The lower we get the number below 1, the sooner it ****s off, and we can get on with working out what to do next to stop a restart of infections.

What can we do next?

The only strategy that gets us below R1 is lockdown or extreme social distancing.

Are we going to remain in this state until there's a vaccine?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What can we do next?

The only strategy that gets us below R1 is lockdown or extreme social distancing.

I suppose once numbers calm down to a much greater extent, that then frees up our health care network to focus on mass-producing and administering anti-body testing, which will be key to understanding immunity, knowing where the virus has been and this will aid protecting the vulnerable as much as possible.

There are also trials/studies being done on possible drugs that have seen some strong results elsewhere in fighting existing infection in severe cases - see this article - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china.

We may have to live with some level of lockdown/social distancing until a vaccine arrives, but certainly not as stringent as currently, you'd hope. Those in another thread saying they will go to the Amex/other big public event as one of the first things they do after lockdown is eased I think are going to be sadly disappointed for some time...

I'm guessing the first restriction lifted will be something like being able to see immediate/extended family, but no one else. Then perhaps it will open up to you being able to freely move within your town, then your county, etc. I have no idea to be honest. Again we can hopefully watch and learn from China and Italy what to do, and what not to do, next.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What can we do next?

No. Once it has died down enough, it is likely the restrictions will be lifted a little with local restrictions re-introduced if an area has a problem perhaps. I think we will keep a close eye on China who are coming out of the first wave of this virus currently but who are gradually easing controls.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I suppose once numbers calm down to a much greater extent, that then frees up our health care network to focus on mass-producing and administering anti-body testing, which will be key to understanding immunity, knowing where the virus has been and this will aid protecting the vulnerable as much as possible.

There are also trials/studies being done on possible drugs that have seen some strong results elsewhere in fighting existing infection in severe cases - see this article - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china.

We may have to live with some level of lockdown/social distancing until a vaccine arrives, but certainly not as stringent as currently, you'd hope. Those in another thread saying they will go to the Amex/other big public event as one of the first things they do after lockdown is eased I think are going to be sadly disappointed for some time...

I'm guessing the first restriction lifted will be something like being able to see immediate/extended family, but no one else. Then perhaps it will open up to you being able to freely move within your town, then your county, etc. I have no idea to be honest. Again we can hopefully watch and learn from China and Italy what to do, and what not to do, next.

Also, i suspect, South Korea. Experience there seems to suggest that the price for some return to normal level of social and economic activity will be some pretty intrusive levels of testing, tracking and tracing. A price we may need to be prepared to accept at least in the medium term.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1245305207891857411[/tweet]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What can we do next?

Germany seem to be intending to introduce some sort of "Covid-19 safe" certificate, ie the holder has been officially tested and found to have already had the virus.

Based on that, I wonder if we could see a two-tier society in coming month, given the broad expectation that if you've had it once you can't get it again (or if you can it's very mild). Other countries may all follow a similar route to Germany where, essentially, you have a certificate that illustrates you have had it and are now "safe". The two tiers would be:

- Those that have had it (ie been tested and shown to have antibodies)
- Those that have not had it

It's not beyond reasonable expectations that this could be used for International travel too. No country will want people coming in who could be infected and start spreading it in their country, so it could be that countries expect those crossing their border to either:

- Present a trusted certificate to illustrate they are Covid-19 safe, or
- Quarantine for 14 days upon arrival (South Korea are doing this already I believe) - which essentially kills tourism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here