Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
the first man in the world to receive the vaccine, William Shakespeare. :)

Maybe the conspiracy theorists have a point and this vaccine isn't safe if it's creating 400 year old zombies.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
It's a momentous day at BSUH and indeed for the country as we administer our first COVID-19 vaccines. First up was volunteer Bidge Garton, who you may remember won 'Volunteer of the Year' at the 2019 STAR Awards

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
FDA's analysis of Pfizer suggests they believe there is a strong immune response from 10 days after first dose onwards. Potentially very good news for how quickly we may see an effect from jabs.

[TWEET]1336307512866385922[/TWEET]

Approval appears to be imminent in the US now.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
FDA's analysis of Pfizer suggests they believe there is a strong immune response from 10 days after first dose onwards. Potentially very good news for how quickly we may see an effect from jabs.

[TWEET]1336307512866385922[/TWEET]

Approval appears to be imminent in the US now.

I'm really interested to see the impact the vaccine on death numbers (impact on cases will lag behind somewhat I would imagine).

Presumably the government will report back on the rolling total of completed vaccinations? I think that will be really good for national morale, accompanied by the relevant caveats that we all still need to respect the measures in place in the short-term.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm really interested to see the impact the vaccine on death numbers (impact on cases will lag behind somewhat I would imagine).

Presumably the government will report back on the rolling total of completed vaccinations? I think that will be really good for national morale, accompanied by the relevant caveats that we all still need to respect the measures in place in the short-term.

I think it's quite possible in early 2021 we could see very high case numbers, but hospitalisations and deaths continuing to drop. Hosps and deaths may become the key factors they look at in terms of possible loosening of restrictions come Feb-March and onwards.

The focus will no longer be on the R rate nor caseload so much, IMO.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccine is safe and effective, giving good protection, researchers have confirmed in The Lancet journal.

Most in the study were younger than 55, but the results so far indicate it does work well in older people too.

The data also suggests it can reduce spread of Covid, as well protect against illness and death.

The paper, assessed by independent scientists, sets out full results from advanced trials of over 20,000 people.

Regulators, who will have seen the same data, are considering the jab for emergency use.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccine is safe and effective, giving good protection, researchers have confirmed in The Lancet journal.

Most in the study were younger than 55, but the results so far indicate it does work well in older people too.

The data also suggests it can reduce spread of Covid, as well protect against illness and death.

The paper, assessed by independent scientists, sets out full results from advanced trials of over 20,000 people.

Regulators, who will have seen the same data, are considering the jab for emergency use.

Guessing this could mean approval is now imminent?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Important to not let this line get lost in what is already an overwhelmingly positive piece of news. In spite of the recent great news surrounding the effectiveness of the vaccines in preventing people from getting ill, there remained some uncertainty over whether they impacted transmission. Now it seems that this one at least does, which you would hope bodes well for the others.

This could be huge news in terms of the speed at which we exit this pandemic, especially for the travel industry.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Important to not let this line get lost in what is already an overwhelmingly positive piece of news. In spite of the recent great news surrounding the effectiveness of the vaccines in preventing people from getting ill, there remained some uncertainty over whether they impacted transmission. Now it seems that this one at least does, which you would hope bodes well for the others.

This could be huge news in terms of the speed at which we exit this pandemic, especially for the travel industry.

Just seen one of the profs interviewed on TV. This is immensely positive news. I’d heard some fairly cautious stuff (including from JVT) about the potential time to approval of the Oxford vaccine but this points in the direction of sooner rather than later by the sound of things. The way in which the vaccination programme can be ramped up if the ‘easier to manage’ vaccine is in play is enormous.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What’s the time required between the 2 shots of the Oxford vaccine before immunity can be assumed 90% of the time?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
What’s the time required between the 2 shots of the Oxford vaccine before immunity can be assumed 90% of the time?

Two weeks after the second dose I think. The doses were 1 month apart in both the AZD1222 trials, so around six weeks from the first dose.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I know it won't make much difference to the Tier 2 status we're currently in but at least locally rates for infection are about as low as they have been out of a total of 315 regional areas.

Figures as at 8th December :

303. Lewes, 45.5, (47), 68.8, (71)
304. Chichester, 44.6, (54), 75.1, (91)
305. Teignbridge, 42.5, (57), 49.9, (67)
306. Torbay, 41.1, (56), 80.0, (109)
307. Copeland, 41.1, (28), 63.1, (43)
308. West Oxfordshire, 40.7, (45), 49.7, (55)
309. Dorset, 39.6, (150), 43.6, (165)
310. South Hams, 39.1, (34), 37.9, (33)
311. New Forest, 38.3, (69), 42.8, (77)
312. Adur, 34.2, (22), 45.1, (29)
313. Worthing, 27.1, (30), 28.0, (31)

314. Cornwall and Isles of Scilly, 25.5, (146), 33.9, (194)
315. Isle of Wight, 19.8, (28), 31.0, (44)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here