Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not suggesting it's good news looking back, but certainly is moving forward, in my opinion;

From a Guardian article today;
Dr Jonathan Van-Tam, England’s deputy chief medical officer, has estimated that if a vaccine had already been rolled out to the 22 million people in the 10 groups deemed a priority to receive it, that would have saved 99% of the 58,245 people who have died in the UK from coronavirus since February.

Dumb/Oversimplified conclusion - JVT is suggesting the highest priority 33% of us getting the vaccine will stop a very, very high proportion of deaths.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Plus, let's be honest, a time of year when most of us aren't doing anything exciting which could end up being ruined anyway for the most part.

My birthday is January 3rd.

:cry:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
My birthday is January 3rd.

:cry:

Jeez, mine's early February and convincing people to go out for it in normal years is hard enough, I can only imagine how hard you must find it without rolling it into a New Year's thing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Jeez, mine's early February and convincing people to go out for it in normal years is hard enough, I can only imagine how hard you must find it without rolling it into a New Year's thing.

It's such a crap time of year to have a birthday;

• Just had Christmas & New Year's, so no one's in the mood for more parties/presents
  • Often the first day back at work/school
  • No one has any money
  • Weather is miserable

One bonus I suppose is that you can get some January Sales stuff...also, it's really easy for me to remember how old I was each year.

Anyway, this is the Good News Thread! Sorry, ha.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's such a crap time of year to have a birthday;

• Just had Christmas & New Year's, so no one's in the mood for more parties/presents
  • Often the first day back at work/school
  • No one has any money
  • Weather is miserable

One bonus I suppose is that you can get some January Sales stuff...also, it's really easy for me to remember how old I was each year.

Anyway, this is the Good News Thread! Sorry, ha.

I'd say you're allowed one mate

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Not suggesting it's good news looking back, but certainly is moving forward, in my opinion;

From a Guardian article today;

Dumb/Oversimplified conclusion - JVT is suggesting the highest priority 33% of us getting the vaccine will stop a very, very high proportion of deaths.

The fact that the average age of death from Covid is 82, there is a fair chance a fair few of that 58K might have sadly passed anyway. ( that sounds a bit brutal from me but wasnt meant to be )

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ashton Gate stadium in Bristol to provide 75,000-110,000 vaccinations per week, from December 7th (if approval given by then, as hoped/expected) til April 5th.

===

Wonder where our nearest big vaccination centres will be in West/East Sussex?

Any thoughts? Have we heard any noises? Amex would be an obvious one.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Ashton Gate stadium in Bristol to provide 75,000-110,000 vaccinations per week, from December 7th (if approval given by then, as hoped/expected) til April 5th.

===

I don’t think the Amex is an obvious choice as it’s out of town with limited parking and will require public transport but who knows ??

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

===

Brighton Centre and Dome? Jubilee Library?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don’t think the Amex is an obvious choice as it’s out of town with limited parking and will require public transport but who knows ??

As if having a sore arm wasn't bad enough having to endure 3 hours trying to get out of Bennetts Field is going to be the final straw

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Brighton Centre and Dome? Jubilee Library?

Ideally you want somewhere away from an urban centre though, congestion wise, no? I was assuming nowhere in Brighton as driving in is a nightmare on a good day...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Ideally you want somewhere away from an urban centre though, congestion wise, no? I was assuming nowhere in Brighton as driving in is a nightmare on a good day...

Maybe, but I'm not too sure they care about congestion on roads for these purposes. Decent parking in Churchill Square and tonnes of ability to distance I would think are the key things they are looking at. I'm sure more knowledgeable people are looking at it though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The traffic is pretty horrendous around Ashton Gate for much of the day.

The Amex feels like a good location - right by a main road, shit loads of parking and the train as a bonus too.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Motorway service stations might prove a useful place, provided you can manage the flows of people

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Grass roots music venues can serve alcohol with no substantial meal in tier 2 at ticketed events. The ticket is considered the same as a meal. Will really help small venues trying to put on events

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I’ve just registered to be a volunteer vaccinator. I’ll not be having any nonsense from you old geezers when it’s your turn, please - it’ll just be a small prick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here