Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I have a simile of my own. We're sitting on a raft in the middle of the ocean, it's a seemingly hopeless situation. Suddenly, we spot a ship on the horizon. Everyone jumps up in excitement and starts waving and cheering, so the raft tips over, we all fall into the sea and drown.

Thank you.

Is that a simile or an analogy?

It's something that starts with "bo-" and ends with "-llox".

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Right.

Lets get those pubs open so we can start CELEBRATING

accepting that you are being ironic here there is a serious point to be made that if we are very close to a working vaccine all the more reason to be careful until it arrives. No one wants to infect someone who dies the day b4 they sbould of been vaccinated do they?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
That truly was a RUBBISH analogy wasn't it. We already know any goalkeeper can be beaten, who needs proof of that ? Feeble.

Johnson's remark that "the distant toot of the scientific bugle is louder, but is still some way off" was a more effective simile. There is (finally) room for some cautious optimism, but we're a long way off loosening the shackles based on this.

The choo choo train one was a bit better too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’m hopeful that if Oxford’s shows similar (likely in December) that will speed up whatever timeframe they’re looking at.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
JVT says that we have scored the first penalty in a shoot out but we have not won the cup yet, just proven that the goalie can be beaten.

With 90% efficacy, maybe Ryan was in goal?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Surely a better analogy for Boris would be 'I've met another posh girl who seems interested in my Latin phrases and unkempt hairstyle but I haven't manged to give her a jolly good seeing to and get her pregnant yet"

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I’m hopeful that if Oxford’s shows similar (likely in December) that will speed up whatever timeframe they’re looking at.

Yup. I've just trawled through today's entries to this thread, and this seems the first mention of this. The very jolly Sir John Bell was on WatO, and indicated that the Oxford vaccine was weeks -- and not months -- away, and that he expected things to be back to normal in the first quarter of 2021.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/09/vaccine-efficacy-data

Derek Lowe's blog helps give further insight on yesterday's findings.

What does this mean for the pandemic vaccine effort in general? The first big take-away is that coronavirus vaccines can work. I have already said many times (here and in interviews) that I thought that this would be the case, but now we finally have proof. The worst “oh-God-no-vaccine” case is now disposed of. And since all of the vaccines are targeting the same Spike protein, it is highly likely that they are all going to work. There may well be differences between them, in safety, level of efficacy across different patient groups, and duration, but since all of them have shown robust antibody responses in Phase I trials, I think we can now connect those dots and say that we can expect positive data from all of them.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I think they should test the vaccine on the tories. If they survive, it’s safe.
If they don’t, the country is safe.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Looks like further good vaccine news imminent:

[TWEET]1326185718142656512[/TWEET]

I’m assuming we have a higher stockload of the Oxford/AZ vaccine?

I also understand it doesn’t need to be kept anywhere near as cold as Pfizer’s, think I saw -4 mentioned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here