Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No. I am saying we can order them! Presumably there isn’t a limit on how many can be made.

I knew what you meant ...perhaps this will help the poster and then we can end it there and if he wants to debate further then perhaps do it on the Covid forum

From the article

In return for a volume guarantee from the Gates Foundation, the companies are making 20% of their production available to low- and middle-income countries and 80% to the rest. Germany has already ordered 20m tests and France and Switzerland are following suit.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Covid-19 tests that give results in minutes to be rolled out across world

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ults-in-minutes-to-be-rolled-out-across-world

Reading the Guardian piece on this. This may be the test my wife was selected for from Imperial college last week, she had to prick her finger with a device which was provided, then drop her blood into a well on the test device, add a buffer solution into another well on the device and wait ten to fifteen minutes for a blue line to change colour to red, there were two other areas on the device which would turn red (I believe) if a positive test were discovered, thankfully these remained blank, she was a shielded person throughout the epidemic until these restrictions were lifted and we are still mostly taking precautions, masks, visitors, only meeting outside etc. So unsurprising and gratifying that the measures imposed and followed seem to have worked in our case.
On the down side the literature supplied with the test was at pains to explain that this test was for research purposes only and was not to be taken as a difinitve result!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Reading the Guardian piece on this. This may be the test my wife was selected for from Imperial college last week, she had to prick her finger with a device which was provided, then drop her blood into a well on the test device, add a buffer solution into another well on the device and wait ten to fifteen minutes for a blue line to change colour to red, there were two other areas on the device which would turn red (I believe) if a positive test were discovered, thankfully these remained blank, she was a shielded person throughout the epidemic until these restrictions were lifted and we are still mostly taking precautions, masks, visitors, only meeting outside etc. So unsurprising and gratifying that the measures imposed and followed seem to have worked in our case.
On the down side the literature supplied with the test was at pains to explain that this test was for research purposes only and was not to be taken as a difinitve result!

I did a similar one of these about two months ago...but that I believe was for anti bodies

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
513768B1-0DA3-4C98-A051-24FC21135149.jpeg

I did a similar one of these about two months ago...but that I believe was for anti bodies

I volunteered for one to help with research (Imperial College I think) which involved poking a swab up my nose and scraping the back of my throat (not simultaneously I hasten to add). The resulting body fluids were collected by a Courier and an email a few days later confirmed that I was lurgy free and hoping to remain so.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The clinic that I have been doing a drug trial with have been using this test since July, it is for antibodies. The swab is to test if you have it now. The private clinic get my results for the have it now test in around 20 minutes, I am then allowed in the building. The anti body test is 24 hours.
I am not sure why, when they have been doing this since at least July, the government haven't been able to buy the same stuff. It might be a numbers issue, no idea.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I volunteered for one to help with research (Imperial College I think) which involved poking a swab up my nose and scraping the back of my throat (not simultaneously I hasten to add). The resulting body fluids were collected by a Courier and an email a few days later confirmed that I was lurgy free and hoping to remain so.

My wife signed up too, the courier collected the sample today. She said the swab business was unpleasant to say the least.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So, for the 2nd week running.

COVID-19 update

We do not currently have any confirmed COVID-19 patients in BSUH Hospitals. We continue to prepare for numbers of hospital admissions due to COVID-19 to increase as cases are increasing across the country.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
So, for the 2nd week running.

COVID-19 update

We do not currently have any confirmed COVID-19 patients in BSUH Hospitals. We continue to prepare for numbers of hospital admissions due to COVID-19 to increase as cases are increasing across the country.

My wife has literally just phoned me from RSCH saying the same. Great news!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oxford-Astra Covid Vaccine Review to Start in Europe

European regulators are set to start an accelerated review of a Covid-19 vaccine front-runner from the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca Plc, according to a person with knowledge of the situation, in a sign the shot could be the first to seek approval in the region.

The European Medicines Agency is expected to announce the “rolling review” as soon as this week, according to the person, who didn’t want to be identified because the decision is still private. Such assessments are used in emergencies to allow regulators to see trial data while the development is ongoing to speed up approvals of drugs and vaccines that are urgently needed.

The move would be a key step forward for the Oxford-AstraZeneca shot after trials were halted earlier this month due to concerns about a participant in the U.K. study who became ill. The partners, along with companies such as Pfizer Inc. and Moderna Inc., are sprinting ahead with experimental shots as governments look for a way out of the global crisis.

While the British regulator cleared the Oxford-Astra trial to restart less than a week after it was paused, U.S. authorities have yet to give the go-ahead for trials to resume in the country. Studies in South Africa, Brazil and India have also restarted.

The EMA’s head of vaccines, Marco Cavaleri, said in July the agency would start rolling reviews of potential candidates after the summer. The approach means that a final approval could be granted a matter of days after the review period ends. Cavaleri said at the time the first approval of a vaccine could come by the end of the year.

In emergencies like a pandemic, a rolling review avoids delays so that an EMA recommendation and approval from the European Commission can be sought as quickly as possible. The agency started such an evaluation of remdesivir to treat Covid-19 in April, while trials were ongoing, and the drug was given conditional approval three months later.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-30/oxford-astra-covid-vaccine-review-said-to-start-in-europe

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1311608718958657539[/TWEET]

This is the chap who runs the ZOE Covid app.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here