Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not sure that counts as good news!

Anyway I disagree with you. On the upside of the curve the virus is in exponential expansion with a high R value, that is a different scenario. Where we are now on the downside with a R value less than one, provided it stays below 1 this can, as a matter of fact, only get smaller and die out. People gradually getting back to their normal lives will not change that IMHO. This is evidenced by every country which is releasing lockdown measures continuing to see case numbers fall.

No countries have returned to anything like normal though. The R number is being suppressed to <1 because, by and large, everyone is avoiding being within 2m of people that they don't live with. Getting back to normal lives means getting on packed public transport twice a day, standing shoulder to shoulder with strangers at a crowded bar or gig, hugging the bloke next to you when we score a goal.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Doesn't that require it being non seasonal?

As far as I can see the scientific projections are for the virus in the UK to run down and die out within a couple of months.

I acknowledge there may be some chance of further outbreaks, but talk of a 'second spike' of any significant scale, seasonal or otherwise, seems to be pure speculation and is not supported by what is playing out in every country in the world which is further along the process than the UK.

Therefore I conclude that the scientific projections are most likely correct (good news), based on what is happening in other countries (good news), and I'm happy to leave any speculation about potential future outbreaks to the Doom-mongers.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
No countries have returned to anything like normal though. The R number is being suppressed to <1 because, by and large, everyone is avoiding being within 2m of people that they don't live with. Getting back to normal lives means getting on packed public transport twice a day, standing shoulder to shoulder with strangers at a crowded bar or gig, hugging the bloke next to you when we score a goal.

Public transport is operating in this country and most others. Schools are open. Shops are open. Bars and restaurants and clubs are open in come countries. People are back at work. So other than mass gatherings I think many countries will be close to normal within a couple of months. Holiday travel also now being opened up from June / July.

2m does not work in reality even if we continue to pay lip service to it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Public transport is operating in this country and most others. Schools are open. Shops are open. Bars and restaurants and clubs are open in come countries. People are back at work. So other than mass gatherings I think many countries will be close to normal within a couple of months. Holiday travel also now being opened up from June / July.

2m does not work in reality even if we continue to pay lip service to it.

You're talking bollocks. Shops, bars and restaurants are open but with social distancing measures applied. Public transport is being run on a similar basis. This is the reason that infections are on a downward curve; the virus isn't just disappearing of its own accord.

I know that this is supposed to be the good news thread, but spreading disinformation and making people blaze about the chances of a second wave is irresponsible.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
4EDF1368-63D6-4CA4-8F6C-844EB80CE81F.jpeg
2D3EA394-6895-4144-8360-A804C155EFF5.png

Yoda

English & European
You're talking bollocks. Shops, bars and restaurants are open but with social distancing measures applied. Public transport is being run on a similar basis. This is the reason that infections are on a downward curve; the virus isn't just disappearing of its own accord.

I know that this is supposed to be the good news thread, but spreading disinformation and making people blaze about the chances of a second wave is irresponsible.

The longer R is kept below 1 it will die out in that Country/Region. Then the only way for it to be a factor is if it's brought in from outside.

This test that can give a result within an hour will be a game changer for this as it could be utilised at Airports and everyone travelling has to have a test before checking in. Yes, it'll make international travel longer, but this could eventually be removed for Countries that also do not have any cases.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I initially thought that it was good news that M&S in Worthing had opened up the entirety of their ground floor in addition to the food hall. So ladieswear and bras and pants are open. You can buy birthday cards, perfumes, cosmetics etc (although nb that the gents section, on the first floor, is still closed.

But then I thought about whether it was fair competition that they are open to sell items when other stores (think H&M, TopShop, clintons, The Perfume Shop etc etc etc) all have to remain closed.

So good news for ladies and M&S profits. Not such good news for M&S's high street competitors

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I initially thought that it was good news that M&S in Worthing had opened up the entirety of their ground floor in addition to the food hall. So ladieswear and bras and pants are open. You can buy birthday cards, perfumes, cosmetics etc (although nb that the gents section, on the first floor, is still closed.

But then I thought about whether it was fair competition that they are open to sell items when other stores (think H&M, TopShop, clintons, The Perfume Shop etc etc etc) all have to remain closed.

So good news for ladies and M&S profits. Not such good news for M&S's high street competitors

Surprised that M&S haven't been selling clothes all along if they've been open for food. Tesco and the likes haven't closed off their clothes departments, which has been useful when you've still got kids in school who seem to have saved a growth spurt for the middle of a lockdown.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As far as I can see the scientific projections are for the virus in the UK to run down and die out within a couple of months.

I acknowledge there may be some chance of further outbreaks, but talk of a 'second spike' of any significant scale, seasonal or otherwise, seems to be pure speculation and is not supported by what is playing out in every country in the world which is further along the process than the UK.

Therefore I conclude that the scientific projections are most likely correct (good news), based on what is happening in other countries (good news), and I'm happy to leave any speculation about potential future outbreaks to the Doom-mongers.

Replied on Main Covid thread....

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Going by reporting patterns to date, this coming Sunday could be the first day where fewer than 100 deaths are reported since March 23rd - the day lockdown was announced.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Surprised that M&S haven't been selling clothes all along if they've been open for food. Tesco and the likes haven't closed off their clothes departments, which has been useful when you've still got kids in school who seem to have saved a growth spurt for the middle of a lockdown.

We noticed this. Clothes retailers have not been allowed to open throughout lockdown, selling non-essential goods. M&S and every clothes retailer complied.

Sainsbury’s kept their small clothes bit open, possibly getting round the rule as it’s a tiny section of the store, seemingly (and deliberatly?) not staffed during open hours.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Matt Hancock seemed very encouraged about Remdisivir, the biggest step forward since the Coronavirus crisis begun he said. I’d assume they are fairly convinced this treatment is significantly helping for him to say this.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

You need to listen to the scientific evidence about the virus not just be a doomsayer.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Matt Hancock seemed very encouraged about Remdisivir, the biggest step forward since the Coronavirus crisis begun he said. I’d assume they are fairly convinced this treatment is significantly helping for him to say this.

Also helps move 'a certain other story' off the front pages...

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
But has pharmaceutical genius Trump given it his personal seal of approval?

He has actually!

What do we know about remdesivir?
The drug did not cure Ebola, and Gilead says on its website: "Remdesivir is an experimental medicine that does not have established safety or efficacy for the treatment of any condition." Gilead also warns of possible serious side-effects.

However, President Trump has been a vocal supporter of remdesivir as a potential treatment for the coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52511270

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here