Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Complete And Utter Shyster: So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's reffed us 13 times since we were promoted...

Won: 3
Drawn: 3
Lost: 5

Yellow cards given to us: 20
Yellow cards given to our opposition: 20

Second yellow cards given to us: 1
Second yellow cards given to our opposition: 0

Red cards given to us: 0
Red cards given to our opposition: 0

Penalties awarded to us: 2
Penalties awarded to our opposition: 2

3 + 3 + 5 = 11. Do you mean 11 or 13?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Standard of reffing is pretty shite, they can ill-afford to lose him. Will be great fun as a pundit I reckon - miles better than Walton (although that's not saying much)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He's really grown on me since 2016. I still think he made a mistake in sending Stephens off; however, I also think that he did us a favour in delaying our promotion for a year.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Absolute bellend of the highest order and because of that he'll clearly get lots of media work. He may not be ruining games any more but he'll still be around no doubt.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Good! Absolutely the opposite of what a referee should be. The old adage is that a referee's approach should be 'If you don't notice me, then I've had good game.' Dean's was always 'If you don't notice me, then what is the point of me being here.' His frequent incompetence is perhaps understandable. His absolute intransigence when obviously in error is symbolic of everything that is wrong with the PGMOL approach.

I always thought this about not being noticed. Then I read Pierre Luigi Collina's autobiography, and he says the exact opposite, that the referee should be the main man on the field, and if he wasn't noticed then he was doing something wrong. Few would disagree he is one of, if not the best, refs ever.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I always thought this about not being noticed. Then I read Pierre Luigi Collina's autobiography, and he says the exact opposite, that the referee should be the main man on the field, and if he wasn't noticed then he was doing something wrong. Few would disagree he is one of, if not the best, refs ever.

There is a difference between being noticed by the players and being noticed by the crowd and the TV cameras.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Good riddance...

Hate 'Hollywood refs' in any sport...Like someone said in an earlier post, the less you know they are there the better they are...

Remember in the NFL a few years back the ref Ed Hochuli...Came across as a retired, body builder father in law from hell type who boil my piss...

You aren't the stars so keep out of the limelight

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's reffed us 13 times since we were promoted...

Won: 3
Drawn: 5
Lost: 5

Yellow cards given to us: 20
Yellow cards given to our opposition: 20

Second yellow cards given to us: 1
Second yellow cards given to our opposition: 0

Red cards given to us: 0
Red cards given to our opposition: 0

Penalties awarded to us: 2
Penalties awarded to our opposition: 2

Good stats - and could barely be more even.

Worth noting mind, that the one second yellow on that list was pretty controversial. Lewis Dunk made a tackle at Bournemouth and was sent off by Dean, completely unaware that Dean had previously booked him for an earlier challenge. Its pretty fundamental when dishing out cards to make players aware!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Good stats - and could barely be more even.

Worth noting mind, that the one second yellow on that list was pretty controversial. Lewis Dunk made a tackle at Bournemouth and was sent off by Dean, completely unaware that Dean had previously booked him for an earlier challenge. Its pretty fundamental when dishing out cards to make players aware!

Wasn't that because it was Bissouma that had made the earlier tackle and Dean seemed to have booked the wrong man? Easy mistake to make given how similar Dunk and Bissouma look.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wasn't that because it was Bissouma that had made the earlier tackle and Dean seemed to have booked the wrong man? Easy mistake to make given how similar Dunk and Bissouma look.

That narrative was rather unfair on Dean. Both Biss and Dunk were involved in the earlier challenge. Dean didn't get the two players confused - he may have been mistaken in which was responsible for bring the player down, but only insofar as how he viewed the challenge(s), not mixing them up.

His (fundamental) mistake was in not making it clear who he was awarding the card to. I'm actually surprised that hasn't happened more often with him, given how he likes to flourish the cards about all showy, rather than pulling a player aside and soberly taking their name.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

the wife and i often remark , after 15 pints and a bottle of brandy , how alike they are....:cheers:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
As a person comes across as a massive dick.

As a ref, despite the odd poor decision is isn’t the worst…. The fact there are at least 4/5 I can think of that make him look brilliant is the biggest issue.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As a person comes across as a massive dick.

As a ref, despite the odd poor decision is isn’t the worst…. The fact there are at least 4/5 I can think of that make him look brilliant is the biggest issue.

I think he comes across as a very nice and sensible person in the interviews and podcasts he has been part of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here