Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the comedy Own Goal

Oct 25, 2003
Keeper was at fault for both really, badly positioned for the first, .

no

for a back pass the keeper is supposed to be either side of the goal, it's one of the FIRST things you learn

another thing you learn VERY early is that you never, EVER pass back to your goal, ALWAYS to the side

it's to avoid things like own goals and that

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
no

for a back pass the keeper is supposed to be either side of the goal, it's one of the FIRST things you learn

another thing you learn VERY early is that you never, EVER pass back to your goal, ALWAYS to the side

it's to avoid things like own goals and that

Surely the first thing you learn when "learning" backpasses at backpass school, is not to smash it at your own goal when your keeper has moved to the right of it so he could get it on his right foot..

that's what I learned on my first day at backpass high school anyway.. :jester:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Surely the first thing you learn when "learning" backpasses at backpass school, is not to smash it at your own goal when your keeper has moved to the right of it ...

Is that before or after learning left from right ?
:jester:

Edit: Actually I'll take that back, I suppose it's the right of the goal as you are looking at it.

Attachments

• og.bmp
    373 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I played in goal for years, and they always teach you to move to the side of the goal when you're asking for a backpass, so if you cock it up or it hits a divot or whatever it's not likely to roll straight into the net.

What you can't legislate for is some lumbering defender twatting it miles past you because he hasn't bothered to look up and see where you are. You wouldn't blame a midfielder for giving the ball away if Hinshelwood smacked it ten yards wide of them, therefore you can't possibly attach blame to Sullivan for that one.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What a load of rubbish. He had opened up his angle to Hinsh could pass the ball to Sullivan's stronger right foot for the first goal. It wasn't Sullivan's fault Hinsh decided to bang it into the net.

If anything, Hinsh was at fault for both. Terrible own goal and awful clearance for the second.

Agree - Hinsh looked up to see where Sully was - most Keepers move to make the pass back easier.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think I've heard it all now - someone trying to blame SULLIVAN for the own goal?:lolol::lolol:

Who did? All I said was he was at fault, if you look where he started from he was out of position. Of course most of the blame lay with Hinshlewood.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Who did? All I said was he was at fault, if you look where he started from he was out of position. Of course most of the blame lay with Hinshlewood.

By most you mean all right?

As someone else said Keepers are told to move out of the goal, why do most do it?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I don't deny that I'd rather see Michel back, it's taken Sullivan a good few games to get a clean sheet.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Keeper was at fault for both really, badly positioned for the first, and he went down too early for the second.

You cannot possibly blame Sullivan for the own goal! As a goalkeep he expects the ball played back to his feet. If Hinshelwood passes it a metre or two either side of him, what the hell is he supposed to do?

Hinshelwood was completely at fault for the goal. It really isn't that hard to pass a football to someones feet. It was a howler!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Think of it as a road accident. Percentage blame, nobody is completely free of it in a situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here