dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Even an old git like me appreciates the Clash. :clap2:

NewtownRoad

Mar 3, 2006
Hove
Stinky Kat said:
hey - my favourite was the 1st time on hastings pier on the tour to promote give em enough rope - pure energy.

Yours?

I was also at this concert assuming it is the tour when suicide were supporting. Not that they lasted very long on stage!

The Clash were brilliant and I don't think Hastings pier has ever been so hot.

KPTF

Jan 6, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Combat Rock Brighton gig is up there with my top 3 gigs of all time and there's always a Clash cd in the car (albeit not Sandinista or Cut The Crap).

My kids absolutely love them & my eldest boy (10) wanted the 25 year anniversary London Calling cd for Christmas. Every time we get in the car, my youngest (4) wants Janie Jones on. There's something catchy about the tunes that appeals to the kids.

Personal faves are Safe European Home, Complete Control, Bankrobber & Stay Free. (The kids like the latter as well but that's because of the rude words!).

Having said that, I read Last Gang In Town a while back (supposedly written by a fan) and it made them out to be quite phoney, particularly in their early days. They were very opportunist and Punk happened at the right time for them (Strummer previously living like a hippy pre-101ers).

Musically, they definitely left their mark but I'm glad they split when they did otherwise they'd have ended up a supergroup like U2 and that would never have done!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
great. :) simple as that really..

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
NewtownRoad said:
I was also at this concert assuming it is the tour when suicide were supporting. Not that they lasted very long on stage!

The Clash were brilliant and I don't think Hastings pier has ever been so hot.

and me

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I thought it was the slits supporting at that gig - did suicide open - I may have missed them due to my Mum making me do my homework or something

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Codner's Crackpipe said:
Indeed. Much as I like it I never really understood why London Calling is seen as their finest hour. I would stick either of the first two albums on before it.

Same here, first album was class.

:bowdown:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
KPTF said:
The Combat Rock Brighton gig is up there with my top 3 gigs of all time and there's always a Clash cd in the car (albeit not Sandinista or Cut The Crap).

My kids absolutely love them & my eldest boy (10) wanted the 25 year anniversary London Calling cd for Christmas. Every time we get in the car, my youngest (4) wants Janie Jones on. There's something catchy about the tunes that appeals to the kids.

Personal faves are Safe European Home, Complete Control, Bankrobber & Stay Free. (The kids like the latter as well but that's because of the rude words!).

Having said that, I read Last Gang In Town a while back (supposedly written by a fan) and it made them out to be quite phoney, particularly in their early days. They were very opportunist and Punk happened at the right time for them (Strummer previously living like a hippy pre-101ers).

Musically, they definitely left their mark but I'm glad they split when they did otherwise they'd have ended up a supergroup like U2 and that would never have done!

That gig at the Centre was absolutely brilliant. I'll never forget Joe Strummer walking on stage and saying " Ok Brighton, London's Calling" and then ripping into the song followed by Complete Control wasn't it?? Musical heaven. Nothing has ever come close since. What were your other top gigs then?

KPTF

Jan 6, 2004
Burgess Hill
Sneaky George said:
That gig at the Centre was absolutely brilliant. I'll never forget Joe Strummer walking on stage and saying " Ok Brighton, London's Calling" and then ripping into the song followed by Complete Control wasn't it?? Musical heaven. Nothing has ever come close since. What were your other top gigs then?

Tremendous intro - none of this poncing about for 10 minutes with a moody noise building into a crescendo, dry ice, blah blah!

My other 2 were The Undertones at the Top Rank - played for about an hour & a half in total but loads more than that due to bomb scares - the absolute dog's in my eyes, and SLF (I think at the Suite again). Happy days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here