Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the child support agency

Personally, I think that if people have children, they should pay for them and if they're unwilling, then they should pay - obviously an unfashionable view from the comments on this thread from people who think that the state should pay for those children's upbringing. That money, of course, comes out of my taxes.

I've read through this thread with very little understanding of what the CSA does (until now) and have got a completely contrary read of what people are saying. I don't think anyone is saying that the absent parent shouldn't pay, and that the state should pick it up; what I think they are saying is that at the moment the CSA isn't doing a good enough job of balancing the needs of the absent parents (in terms of requiring money to live) against that of the parent & children, and that because they are seemingly not accountable to anyone this situation is persisting.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
According to goverment figures, more than 60 percent of single parents receive no maintenance from the absent parent (nearly always the father), costing the tax payer billions of pounds every year.

Personally, I think that if people have children, they should pay for them and if they're unwilling, then they should pay - obviously an unfashionable view from the comments on this thread from people who think that the state should pay for those children's upbringing. That money, of course, comes out of my taxes.

My view is that the the CSA should be given greater powers and more teeth to chase reluctant fathers.There's talk of confiscating cars and removal of passports - which would be a step in the right direction.

I can see the effects of this first hand. My daughter's best friend mother has three kids, the father buggered off when she was pregnant with the third, he's not paid a penny in support for the kids, so she gets several hundred pounds per week in child support. Contrary to reports, it's not a lot of money and the kids don't get much in the way of treats but at least they're looked after - however, the state should be a safety net, not a way of life.
Can you point out whereabouts anyone has said that they feel the state should pay for their childrens upbringing ? people have merely been highlighting the unfairness of a system that doesnt seem to expend any effort chasing the deadbeats , instead they merely transfer the payment burden onto the responsible fathers who do contribute to their childs upbringing.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
18 why? Does it matter how old you are to understand the effects divorce has on people...

It clearly shows a lack of understanding of life ! I suggest you go through a breakup before making such an inmature statement.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've read through this thread with very little understanding of what the CSA does (until now) and have got a completely contrary read of what people are saying. I don't think anyone is saying that the absent parent shouldn't pay, and that the state should pick it up; what I think they are saying is that at the moment the CSA isn't doing a good enough job of balancing the needs of the absent parents (in terms of requiring money to live) against that of the parent & children, and that because they are seemingly not accountable to anyone this situation is persisting.

I don't remember when the CSA was set up but I think that it was about 20 years ago. The fact that nearly twice as many absent (for want of a better word, Sully) don't pay as do suggest that "the CSA is not doing a good enough job" is an understatement.

It seems that it does a good job of balancing the need of people having to live and supporting their children, as seen by the fact that two people on this thread with direct dealings with the organisation had their payments reduced when the CSA came into play. I'm sure there are people who have had bad deals from them, but TBH, there are plenty of fathers who try to hide their earnings and people suffer from their activities.

It's easy to say that the CSA are wankers or should be wound up but how do the people who glibly say that think that the organisation should go about collecting money from absent parents. if so many hundreds of thousands of them are set on evading their responsibilities? If they're saying that the CSA isn't doing a good enough job, how it could be made better?

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't remember when the CSA was set up but I think that it was about 20 years ago. The fact that nearly twice as many absent (for want of a better word, Sully) don't pay as do suggest that "the CSA is not doing a good enough job" is an understatement.

It seems that it does a good job of balancing the need of people having to live and supporting their children, as seen by the fact that two people on this thread with direct dealings with the organisation had their payments reduced when the CSA came into play. I'm sure there are people who have had bad deals from them, but TBH, there are plenty of fathers who try to hide their earnings and people suffer from their activities.

It's easy to say that the CSA are wankers or should be wound up but how do the people who glibly say that think that the organisation should go about collecting money from absent parents. if so many hundreds of thousands of them are set on evading their responsibilities? If they're saying that the CSA isn't doing a good enough job, how it could be made better?
Its my understanding that the csa works on a formula of earnings irrespective of your earnings , 20% has been mentioned here, would you consider it fair that someone on say £150000 a year should pay £30000 a year in maintenance for two children ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Its my understanding that the csa works on a formula of earnings irrespective of your earnings , 20% has been mentioned here, would you consider it fair that someone on say £150000 a year should pay £30000 a year in maintenance for two children ?

It's 20% of net income so, someone earning £150,000 would earn about £90,000 net (can't be arsed to work it out but that won't be too far out). So £18,000 a year for two kids doesn't seem too far out to me.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It's 20% of net income so, someone earning £150,000 would earn about £90,000 net (can't be arsed to work it out but that won't be too far out). So £18,000 a year for two kids doesn't seem too far out to me.
Are you f***ing sure ? do you think that the man earning thjat should pay that even if the ex wife works ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Are you f***ing sure ? do you think that the man earning thjat should pay that even if the ex wife works ?

Yes.

Like I said, I think if you're going to be a parent, then you should support them.

If I were to split up with Mrs Gwylan, I would probably pay more than 20% of net income

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yes.

Like I said, I think if you're going to be a parent, then you should support them.

If I were to split up with Mrs Gwylan, I would probably pay more than 20% of net income
it doesnt take £18000 to support 2 kids, and IF is very easy to say, IF my granny had bollocks she'd be my grandad ! In fact I'll add something here , of course men should pay their fair share , but the ex-wife should also do this as well, and if an ex-wife is working £18000 is unfair, as for your noble pronunciations about how much you'd give mrs gwylan if you split, i hope it doesnt happen , but be aware that if you DID split, then your disposition towards her might not be one making you feel that you want to enhance her lifestyle at all, my ex will whine about being skint with one breath and with the next ask if i can have the kids as se has a ' night out with the girls planned' , as ive said i'll pay for my kids all day long , but if she hasnt got enough money to go out then thats her f***ing problem.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The CSA needs to be abolished with all child maintenance handled centrally by the DWP , who know instantly from their databases how much everyone is earning. I think it is ridiculous that fathers have a percentage of their income deducted from a salary so that it can be paid out to the ex wife but if she isn't working this is offset against her benefits so she doesn't get any extra money.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
it doesnt take £18000 to support 2 kids, and IF is very easy to say, IF my granny had bollocks she'd be my grandad ! In fact I'll add something here , of course men should pay their fair share , but the ex-wife should also do this as well, and if an ex-wife is working £18000 is unfair, as for your noble pronunciations about how much you'd give mrs gwylan if you split, i hope it doesnt happen , but be aware that if you DID split, then your disposition towards her might not be one making you feel that you want to enhance her lifestyle at all, my ex will whine about being skint with one breath and with the next ask if i can have the kids as se has a ' night out with the girls planned' , as ive said i'll pay for my kids all day long , but if she hasnt got enough money to go out then thats her f***ing problem.

Yes, but I'd factor in the fact that before we had kids, Mrs G wasn't in a high-earning job and wouldn't in one if she had to go back to being the provider - except this time, she'd also have to pay for child care too. Yes, if she were a lawyer, like my ex, I'd have other thoughts but I'd think of the circumstances.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Gwylan, its not that parents shouldnt pay, but that the CSA chase those that are in the system and already paying, while putting almost no effort into discovering and recoving maintenance from those that evade. they also have had a tendency to ignore agreements such as property arrangments, even when the mother hasn't rasied any issue. Because their primary target is save money from the benefitrs budget rather than actual resolve maintenance issues or seek absent non-contibuting fathers. their target should be to reduce the number paying nothing, not penalise those paying to save money.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Gwylan, its not that parents shouldnt pay, but that the CSA chase those that are in the system and already paying, while putting almost no effort into discovering and recoving maintenance from those that evade. they also have had a tendency to ignore agreements such as property arrangments, even when the mother hasn't rasied any issue. Because their primary target is save money from the benefitrs budget rather than actual resolve maintenance issues or seek absent non-contibuting fathers. their target should be to reduce the number paying nothing, not penalise those paying to save money.

:clap::thumbsup::clap::

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
their target should be to reduce the number paying nothing, not penalise those paying to save money.

..but that's exactly what I was saying. Twice as many people don't pay as do, and the CSA (or whoever) should be given greater powers to force the non-payers to pay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here