Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Charity Debate!

Do you agree with the tactics of street charity sellers?

• Perfectly happy

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • No real opinion unless it is a fence charity

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Can't stand them

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

Seems as good a day as any give it is RND05 and what happened to me lunchtime. What are your views on the aggressive charity "sellers" who camp out on the streets of town centres? I haven't seen any for ages until today when I was harrassed by 3 form the same charity. The last guy was hanging around outside the door to WHSmith, pouncing on people as they came out.

To me, it is aggressive begging. These people are on commission and are after your bank details. If you give them £2 a month, they will spend most of it on postage asking you for more than £2 a month. (If they are like Oxfam). They camp out in military formation so they can't be avoided and will pester and not take no for an answer.

I will choose which charities I donate to and will not be dictated to. To me, they turn people away from donating to worthwhile, non aggressive charities with their behaviour.

So, am I right or just a miserly old grouch? You decide.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I can't stand them. I have no problem with people asking for money but the bastards won't take no for an answer. they seriously undermine my confidence in the charity's they're fundraising for.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Charity muggers are a blight on our streets. If one even starts into his/her pre-scripted artificially cheery introductory spiel, I'm just gonna slap them upside their grill. End of.

No idea if this is true or not, but I heard some of these professional charity harassers are on a £20 payout for every direct debit they get set up! No wonder they are aggressive, 50 sales a day and you're looking at earning about £250,000 per year.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
If it gets money to charity then im all for it. It is annoying to some people, but you can just walk away. At the end of the day if it saves 1 kid in Africa a day, then what's the problem?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
One came up to me today and started asking me questions. Nice enough chap, obviously feels strongly about an issue - can't hold that against him.

I just said I'll give my money in the evening. And that was that.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
they are a pain in the arse and aggressive sellers. and they line 8 of them up on streets like Bond Street so you have to zig zag up the road, or have to say no to each and everyone even though they know you've just said no to their colleagues

You see blokes say no to a couple and then as soon as theres a pretty one they stop and talk. Mugs

None of them give money themselves (well I'm sure a couple do but I know some people who travelled round doing it).. They get good commision and travel round the country gettting put up in hotels and having a right old laugh.

Theres better ways to give money to charity:angry:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
The Boss said:
Not as annoying as a Harry Ramp sitting by a cash dispenser!

Man, they're twice as annoying! At least tramps aren't going to try and deliberately stand in your way when you're trying to get from A to B.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Weird. I was just about to start a debate on 'chuggers'. Hundreds of Shelter people today. Beat me to it.

Um, orrible bastards, skipping and dancing up to you, begging for dosh (but making sure they get your name and address first, making sure they know WHO is giving them dosh - like I've got some filthy lucre to launder).

I will give money to cheridee in the time and manner of my own choosing, thank you vry much indeedio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here