Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Championship.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
I love the way people can put a 4-1 win at Southampton down to a bad keeper!!

Christ, they had one lucky goal when Scowcroft headed in, but other than that it looked like Palace were by miles the better team. I just wish we were playing Southampton, let alone arguing about how many goals their keeper had gifted us!

You can't say that on here CB! :ohmy::laugh:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
I'm not sure if I dare admit this, but I actually have an admiration for Palace. It's not that I want you to win matches, I don't. I hope you lose every game you play, and despite all the promotions and big days we have had in the last decade, the win at Selhurst is (for me) the best night of them all. But, you're everything we wish the albion could be. You've had seasons in the Premiership, an England striker on the books, 20,000 home crowds, and a rich chairman who loves the club. So, as much as I will always hope you fail miserable, I seriously worry about people on here who think they have a leg to stand on when it comes to criticising Palace as a club!

I am printing this post out as we speak! :lolol:;)

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
To be fair to Brighton they have not been on a level playing field for 11 years so who knows what might have happened if they had still been at the Goldstone or somewhere equivalent?

When Falmer gets built you can start re-building the club again.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
No but you are insinuating that their keeper was at fault for the goals which he was not!

Well thats interesting because I'm pretty sure the keeper dropped the ball for the third didn't he? And the fourth went through his legs at the near post didn't it? Not textbook goalkeeping by most people's standards but if you say they weren't his fault then I'm sure you must be right...:rolleyes:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Indeed. And when that happens, we MIGHT be a bigger and more successful club than you again - who knows? We may well not! But, as things stand, I just find it a tiny bit childish when people slag off Palace, and try to pretend certain things they do/have are shit, when we would give our left bollock for them.

As you say, it would be interesting to see us compete on a level playing field. With a ground, I think we're probably both championship clubs, and if that happened it really would be a decent rivalry once again.

Have Brighton ever been a 'bigger' club than Palace CB? I don't really remember that ever being the case, but you certainly had the upper hand in the matches in the early 80's that is for sure

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Well thats interesting because I'm pretty sure the keeper dropped the ball for the third didn't he? And the fourth went through his legs at the near post didn't it? Not textbook goalkeeping by most people's standards but if you say they weren't his fault then I'm sure you must be right...:rolleyes:

4-1 end of

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005

Pity the Crewe 'keeper didn't help you out a bit eh? :shrug:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Well the "proper" rivalry was all a bit before my time. I say 'a bit,' more like over a decade! But, as you say, it sounds like we had the upper hand for a long period of time, especially as we seemed to be in the same division for ages. We seem to have held our own in terms of league position against you too, up until the last 15 years, and I'm guessing there isn't too much in it in terms of fan base. Based on my research and what I've been told, I wouldn't confidently say we have ever been a bigger club than you, but I definitely wouldn't say we were second best either. That's only up until about 1990 though. After that, and we can make excuses all we like (rightly so), the history books will state that you have largely been in another world to us. So, my conclusion would be when we are on a level playing field, there's not a lot in it either way, but for so long we have not been so you have easily won. Fair?

I would say so :thumbsup:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

SE25

Banned
Feb 19, 2005
Oh South London...
I'm not sure if I dare admit this, but I actually have an admiration for Palace. It's not that I want you to win matches, I don't. I hope you lose every game you play, and despite all the promotions and big days we have had in the last decade, the win at Selhurst is (for me) the best night of them all. But, you're everything we wish the albion could be. You've had seasons in the Premiership, an England striker on the books, 20,000 home crowds, and a rich chairman who loves the club. So, as much as I will always hope you fail miserable, I seriously worry about people on here who think they have a leg to stand on when it comes to criticising Palace as a club!

I'll drink to that! :drink: :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here