Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The case for recalling Michael Vaughan as England test captain

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Well piss off from this thread then.

Fairly predictable response. At the school I went to the only people who played cricket were the ones who weren't good enough to get picked for the footie teams. I rest my case.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Fairly predictable response. At the school I went to the only people who played cricket were the ones who weren't good enough to get picked for the footie teams. I rest my case.

Like Joe Gatting?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
M.V. , Lovely bloke, smashing chap and in his day good batsman and captain. We have moved on, Strauss is still learning and can be forgiven for his declarations... who would have thought that the West Indies have learned to make 5 day pitches ?

Worry more about the bowling, Harmison is a busted flush, Anderson,Sidebottom and Broad do not spark much fear as, apart from the odd occasion, none get much movement off the seam or swing on a consistant basis. Monty will whirl away but does not inspire worry amongst batsmen like a Murali or a Warne or even Vettori. We lack the ability to bowl teams out once most of the time, let alone twice in a match.

oh, besides, he still has that glass knee and as such we would have to hide him and Panasar in the field and I think there will be alot of leather chasing when the Aussies get here..

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

Tend to find the people that hate cricket are those that do not have the staying power to watch a game for more than 90 minutes or lack the intelligence to understand the game.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Because saying cricket is boring is original and thought-provoking?

Because where i went to school is was only the gays that didn't like cricket

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Tend to find the people that hate cricket are those that do not have the staying power to watch a game for more than 90 minutes or lack the intelligence to understand the game.

Nothing at all to do with staying power or intelligence – just could never be arsed to waste a day watching a pastime (any one who plays this and thinks it’s a sport is sadly deluded) which makes watching paint dry exciting.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
but its more exciting than baseball.

Thought we were discussing cricket - but I would agree baseball is equally boring and pointless but the baseball matchday experience is more exciting, the Yanks just do that sort of thing with way more style than the Brits.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It may, in your opinion, be more exciting, but I'll bet it's not more ALCOHOLIC.

Unfortunately you’re correct about that but most Brits do their best to maintain our binge drinking reputation– it’s not easy though as the strength of the average beer on sale at any US sports event is about 3% and how many pints of Bud / Coors shite can you really drink. Better to wait until after then go to one of the craft brew pubs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see Duncan Fletcher agrees with my original post!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ha ha!

Yeah, you're right, Flower's doing a great job, like Moores before him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see Duncan Fletcher agrees with my original post!

So the guy who was sacked as coach agrees with you - I would have thought that was a negative factor. Or perhaps you eagerly read Steve McClaren's opinion as to what Capello should do with the England football team.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No you're right Gwylan - why should the opinion of the only coach we've had that's won in the Ashes in the last 22 years count for anything...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
England lack a match winning bowling attack at the moment Strauss or vaughan as captain makes no difference.not much chance of winning the ashes back this summer i fear

Some truth there. Somehow Gibson needs to get the best out of Harmison, which is not happening.

Oddly, Anderson bowled well in the Windies for no reward and Broad got better as the series went on and Swannn suddenly looks a class act. However none of them are strike bowlers.

England need Hoggard to start the season well and Jones to play a couple of months with no injuries, otherwise we could be going back to that fool Mahmood, which would not be good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here