Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The case AGAINST bringing back terracing

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I couldn't stnd for 90 minutes these days anyway: it'd play havoc with me Trench Foot :(

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
I personally think modern (ie safe) terracing should be brought back soon-as. That said, isn't the real reason for the lack of a good atmosphere at football grounds these days the fact that the majority of fans at games just can't be arsed to create one? ???

It should be brought back, and people seem to forget that all grounds do have a seated area - it is all about choice!

To be honest I'm am getting pretty bored of sitting in souless grounds around the country, being told to sit down all the time by some jobsworth. In terms of general atmosphere I am actually enjoying watching Non-league more, listening to proper banter, standing where ever you want etc.

The lack of atmosphere is just a reflection of the general apathy and lack of any kind of passion that seems to infect the vast majority of the population of this country.

Jan 30, 2008
It should be brought back, and people seem to forget that all grounds do have a seated area - it is all about choice!

To be honest I'm am getting pretty bored of sitting in souless grounds around the country, being told to sit down all the time by some jobsworth. In terms of general atmosphere I am actually enjoying watching Non-league more, listening to proper banter, standing where ever you want etc.

The lack of atmosphere is just a reflection of the general apathy and lack of any kind of passion that seems to infect the vast majority of the population of this country.
thats the withdean summed up then:lolol:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
what a load of bolocks , talk about the great escape:jester:

But that was exactly what he said, sadly! He claimed that in the South Stand at Withdean, if you're causing trouble, you'll be picked up on CCTV and / or spotted by stewards. And they'll either come and get you or work out who you are from your seat number.

But he said that in a terrace, the offending fan can literally hit the floor and the club / authorities won't find you.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
Yup. The best away atmospheres at Albion games are when a big load of us stand in the seated areas. With a roof over our heads, it's brilliant.

Standing up, whether in seats or on terraces is the way forward :clap2:

it is and something I will never get bored of!:albion2:

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
As a 15 year old, i have grown up going to watch football in seated stadiums, however, i have been to a few terraced stadiums for away games eg Bristol Rovers, Yeovil and Brentford. Although the atmosphere at these was'nt particulaly good, i much prefered standing. It was alot more enjoyable being allowed to stand without stewards coming up the steps every 2 minutes telling us off. I don't understand why the singing section, if not the majority of the ground can not have terracing!!! :shrug:

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Yup. The best away atmospheres at Albion games are when a big load of us stand in the seated areas. With a roof over our heads, it's brilliant.

Standing up, whether in seats or on terraces is the way forward :clap2:

These points are both true, however i think that if the away ends had terracing and a roof, it would be far better.

:ascarf::ascarf:

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
As a 15 year old, i have grown up going to watch football in seated stadiums, however, i have been to a few terraced stadiums for away games eg Bristol Rovers, Yeovil and Brentford. Although the atmosphere at these was'nt particulaly good, i much prefered standing. It was alot more enjoyable being allowed to stand without stewards coming up the steps every 2 minutes telling us off. I don't understand why the singing section, if not the majority of the ground can not have terracing!!! :shrug:

exactly. The atmosphere is not always great, however, I can still remember the buzz I got watching Ayr United fans going absolutely mental when they scored at Annfield in 1987 (Stirling Albion's old ground) by charging all over the terrace - first time I had ever been to a game with a proper away following. I had to wait a few more months before my dad would take me on a 500 mile round trip to Bury for my first Albion game where there was a lot of celery on show!

It may have only been a few Ayr fans but they created something that I'm afraid will never be matched at Withdean or any of the other souless venues that we now watch our beloved club.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
exactly. The atmosphere is not always great, however, I can still remember the buzz I got watching Ayr United fans going absolutely mental when they scored at Annfield in 1987 (Stirling Albion's old ground) by charging all over the terrace - first time I had ever been to a game with a proper away following. I had to wait a few more months before my dad would take me on a 500 mile round trip to Bury for my first Albion game where there was a lot of celery on show!

It may have only been a few Ayr fans but they created something that I'm afraid will never be matched at Withdean or any of the other souless venues that we now watch our beloved club.

That's what it's all about for me .
I'd so much rather be 1 of the 200 or so Ayr fans on a terrace away from home ,
with the freedom to sing , chant , celebrate and move around without hinderence ,
than say a modern day Chelsea or Man Utd supporter amongst 50k of their own forced to sit down and suffer the emotional restrctions .

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Not sure it would exactly be fair on all the clubs who have splashed out a fortune replacing terraces...

Wouldn't it be unfair on those clubs that are looking to move ground to give them a choice as to whether they included a safe standing area or not, and clubs that already have a new ground can choose to remove seating and replace it with safe standing areas if they wish?

I couldn't stnd for 90 minutes these days anyway: it'd play havoc with me Trench Foot :(

No one is saying anyone has to stand for 90mins, There will still be seating for those who prefer that option. But there shoould also be the option for those who don't want to sit for 90 minutes to be able to stand.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
From some of the posts on this thread you'd get the impression that the campaign was for mandatory standing in terraces like the away one at Layer Road. The whole point is about choice - and the provision of a standing area meeting whatever required safety criteria there are in new-build grounds should surely not be that difficult.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry, but someone educate me as to what exactly is 'safe terracing'. Presumably it allows for a lower density that the terracing that we had at the Goldstone and that if it covers a large area then it will be segmented and ticketed to prevent crushing. I not convinced one way or another but those that talk of being able to walk around a ground and stand where ever you want are really living in the real world. You can do that at non league grounds because they are small turnouts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here