eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Hmm...

Just found this posted on Football 365. Trench foot?! :tosser:

Thoughts, anyone?

---

Making A Stand Against Return Of Terraces

According to the results of a suspiciously rounded-up survey released today, 80% of the footballing masses want standing to be brought back into Premier League football grounds.

The issue of 'safe' standing has been bubbling along for a while now, with various groups campaigning for its reintroduction.

The Football Supporters' Federation produced a very carefully considered and measured report on the issue in June last year, there is a dedicated website to the cause and it has even been discussed in parliament, with a good number of MPs signing an early-day motion to bring terraces back to England.

This baffles me.

In general, people who romanticise about standing at football are those who no longer have to do it anymore. The season before last I stood in a puddle at Doncaster's now mercifully demolished old ground Belle Vue, and had a terrible view of a terrible game (which actually turned out to be the last at the 'stadium'), about halfway through which I thought trench-foot had set in.

Aside from sitting next to Ken Bates, I can't imagine a more unpleasant way to watch football. However, that obviously is not the problem.

The problem is that there is no such thing as 'safe' standing. Incidents like Hillsbrough and Heysel may have been freak occurances, but they were disasters that were made possible by the terraces. Advocates of 'safe' standing cannot possibly guarantee that another calamity will not happen.

Germany is often pointed to as the shining example of how standing can work, and there is no doubt that it has certain benefits to the average footballing punter. Crowds are up and prices are down - good for both club and fan, one would think.

However, last week The Times reported new figures from Germany, stating that no less than 851 people (not including players) were injured at football games in 2007. In England, where Premier League grounds have been all-seater for the best part of 15 years, the number banning orders and violent offences have consistently fallen.

It would be naive in the extreme not to make a link between terraces and hooliganism. Anyone who has been watching football for a long time will tell you that grounds are without question safer places these days. Obviously there are isolated incidents, but unfortunately you can't legislate for morons.

Some complain that the atmosphere in all-seater stadiums has suffered, and in some cases that is probably true. However, the air is still thick with tension at big games. Important matches still create electric atmospheres, regardless of whether the fans are sitting down or standing.

However, boring it might sound, seating is much safer than standing in any number of ways. It's a no-brainer to say that it is preferable to watch a game without fear of getting your head kicked in, or being crushed against twenty other men if you're lucky, a barrier if you're not.

The most persuasive argument made is that terraces will make the game cheaper for 'the common man', and given that you have to pay £55 to watch Fulham these days it's difficult to argue against that.

And yet the reason tickets for the Premier League are so expensive because people are willing to pay it. It's not the scarcity of space in all-seater stadiums that make prices high. If clubs wanted to, they could slash prices if they wanted, but as long as people keep stumping up then clubs will keep charging.

While we might all save some money, a return to terraces would represent a dangerous step back for English football, in more ways than one.

Atmosphere is everything in football grounds.
Standing gives BRILLIANT ATMOSPHERE.

All i have to say on matter. For all i care this guy on 365 can shove his comments up his arse.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Liberal Democrats debate safe standing - North Stand Chat

It's also about choice, not being forced to sit.

Hillsboro etc occured due to poor crowd control, etc, not due to just people standing, equally those who died during the fire at Bradford died due to seating!!!

What caused the injuries in Germany, none have been attributed to standing, more likely hooliganism outside the grounds. and so on....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In general, people who romanticise about standing at football are those who no longer have to do it anymore.

Cobblers.
People who romanticise about standing at football arn't allowed to do it any more. The choice has been removed.

There is nothing inherantly unsafe about terracing whatsoever. Its a completely absurd paradox that terracing is still permitted in the lower leagues, but not in the Premiership. By this logic, are lower league football supporters deemed more "expendable" than those who follow Premiership teams ? Its ok for the likes of US to be exposed to the supposed "dangers" of terracing, but not those who support teams in the top flight ? Rubbish.

The decision to ban terraces was a knee-jerk reaction and was a political decision made by a completely out-of-touch judge, and keenly endorsed by a football-despising Prime Minister. The decision was a nonsense then, and still is.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If I found that I had to sit next to Ken Bates I would get up and leave...sod the football.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There is one reason why we won't return to terracing in the foreseeable future.

The police say that they can't pick out 'troublemakers' on their CCTV monitors when people are standing on terraces as well as they can when they are in seats. This attitude does, of course, presume a status of guilt over innocence for everyone being monitored, but that's the principle concept of authority for you.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

The police say that they can't pick out 'troublemakers' on their CCTV monitors when people are standing on terraces as well as they can when they are in seats. This attitude does, of course, presume a status of guilt over innocence for everyone being monitored, but that's the principle concept of authority for you.

That's exactly what Martin Perry said when he spoke at Seagulls Over London. Safety wasn't an issue - it was the fact that troublemakers could hit the floor and crawl out of CCTV view.

There is another one. The law on this won't be changed given the expenditure by clubs and associations to make stadia all seater.

No club wants to be responsible for another crowd related disaster if it can be avoided

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I personally think modern (ie safe) terracing should be brought back soon-as. That said, isn't the real reason for the lack of a good atmosphere at football grounds these days the fact that the majority of fans at games just can't be arsed to create one? ???

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I personally think modern (ie safe) terracing should be brought back soon-as.

Totally agree on that :thumbsup:

That said, isn't the real reason for the lack of a good atmosphere at football grounds these days the fact that the majority of fans at games just can't be arsed to create one? ???

That also is true H&J block start singing but only if they are standing :shrug: Is it impossible to sing whilst sitting???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here