Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Cameron and Clegg Show ( Eric and Ernie )

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It may be the situation that saves the country. Having the two of them share the leadership means that they will only implement the policies that are beneficial to us rather than their own agendas.

It means we should only have good policies going through, and also shows that the Lib Dems are not a pointless party.

It may however spell the end of the Labour party for the next few elections because as long as they are getting along well and running things smoothly the woefulness of Labours last term stands out as the sham that it was

Dandyman

In London village.
It may be the situation that saves the country. Having the two of them share the leadership means that they will only implement the policies that are beneficial to us rather than their own agendas.

It means we should only have good policies going through, and also shows that the Lib Dems are not a pointless party.

It may however spell the end of the Labour party for the next few elections because as long as they are getting along well and running things smoothly the woefulness of Labours last term stands out as the sham that it was

:laugh:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I must admit, I think the joint plan for this parliament is a lot stronger than the Tories manifesto. If hope they can keep the coalition together. I certainly prefer the idea of coalition politics to minority government.

Looks like they will make quite a few of my friends and colleagues redundant by cutting the Comprehensive Area Assessment reports on local authorities. I'm guessing that a quick straw poll on here will find few if any people who have looked at the Oneplace website Oneplace homepage
so few will mourn its loss but it still probably means that most of the people involved in local authority inspections will lose their jobs.

Getting 42 weeks redundancy pay looks better and better now as they may have to reduce the packages if large numbers of redundancies are imminent. It does mean that my next 4 months notice will be even more miserable though as all of my customers will be worried about their long term futures.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On this point, I'd like to see some specific examples of Labour overspending rather than newspaper bluster about poor taste jokes and "disgraceful" overspending. Let us know some of these examples and make our own minds up.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its been a promising start.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its been a promising start.
I agree with this, in that they seem to be able to hold a working relationship although they are on the appropriate wings of their parties so their ideologies are not that far apart. They have also thrashed out a "fair" compromise document and I'm also happy that the 5 year term is fixed.

However, the real test will be their ability to carry their parties along with this. The 1922 Committee members are already a bit pissed off (understandably) and while the LibDems voted for the coalition, some fairly influential figures remain unhappy with the deal. We'll have to see what happens when government actually starts again.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think there was much option but for this coalition - but it could definitely all yet go tits up within a couple of years.

There isn't much doubt that the LibDems were desperate for some power, any power, and if not quite at any price then certainly they were prepared to see Cameron in No10 for it which as time goes by will be more and more difficult to swallow for many activists.

There are unhappy Tories (notably those who didn't get Cabinet/ministerial posts, plus now the backbenchers who are seeing their influence diluted still further) and also unhappy Lib Dems, many of whom still see Labour as more natural colleagues. Throw in some inevitable ego issues between Clegg and Cameron and other Cabinet ministers, and the potential problems are clear. It won't be long before some of the business community fall out with Cable.

That said, at least the two main men do seem to get on for now, which will help them get on with the business of actually running the country.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
I can't believe how naive people are regarding Cameron and Clegg. Behind the false smiles and the photoshoots there are serious differences and problems facing this coalition that is built on sand.

First of all there is the EU and the Tory mainstream will be unhappy about being in bed with the most pro-EU party in the country, especially as they wish to give an amnesty to all illegal immigrants. That will have the blue rinses and Colonel Blimps raging over their G&Ts I can tell you.

There is also the fact that with the Euro under such pressure, its demise could trigger a new recession or even a depression. Then all the PR, make overs and spin won't fool the people, well I would hope most of them any way.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I suppose whether you want to see something given a chance to work or you are just waiting for it to fail. I would like to see it work. It may be the type of politics we need to get used to in a world where all the parties are fighting over the centre.

Both have said that they understand that there will be differences in opinion but compromises will be made. At the moment both are showing a sensible manner in discussing their views and are trying to find common ground.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
I suppose whether you want to see something given a chance to work or you are just waiting for it to fail. I would like to see it work. It may be the type of politics we need to get used to in a world where all the parties are fighting over the centre.

It cannot work and it won't work. In any case 90% of our laws are made in Brussels so the future of the country depends on European and indeed wider factors not these two puppet leaders of the new world order.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was chatting to a local Lib Dem (now non) councillor in our area this morning, and he is very up-beat about what this coalition can achieve. His obvious concern is that the Lib Dems will be swallowed up by the Tories.

I'd say this govt may deliver a lot of key reform that will benefit us all for years to come.

Funny old world isn't it?

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
I was chatting to a local Lib Dem (now non) councillor in our area this morning, and he is very up-beat about what this coalition can achieve. His obvious concern is that the Lib Dems will be swallowed up by the Tories.

I'd say this govt may deliver a lot of key reform that will benefit us all for years to come.

Funny old world isn't it?

It will certainly be amusing to see how the record and unsustainable levels of debt incurred by the nation over the past two decades, but primarily under New Labour will be addressed. Perhaps we can all just concentrate on X factor, football, binge drinking and pop music and hope it all just goes away.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
On this point, I'd like to see some specific examples of Labour overspending rather than newspaper bluster about poor taste jokes and "disgraceful" overspending. Let us know some of these examples and make our own minds up.

ID cards ???

I for one am pleased they both seem to be able to work together. The government will be unpopular for the decisions it HAS to make but hopefully it will survive as we now need our medicine as a country.

I find it strange that people really don't think different parties can work together. At work I have no choice who I work with and so have to be professional even if some of them are right plums. It's about time government and politics was the same. Hopefully this government is the start of such a change.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
ID cards ???
I find it strange that people really don't think different parties can work together. At work I have no choice who I work with and so have to be professional even if some of them are right plums. It's about time government and politics was the same. Hopefully this government is the start of such a change.

I presume you are too young to remember the Lib/Lab pact of the 1970's?

FTSE falls on euro zone debt worries
(reuters 8.15am, Friday)

By Joanne Frearson

LONDON, March (Reuters) - Britain's top shares fell early on Friday, down for a third day as fears about the sovereign debt crisis and worries that stricter financial regulations could dampen global growth grew, with banks and oil stocks hit hard

Still with Dave and Nick in charge I'm sure we'll be fine, its not as if we are run by the EU is it?!:glare:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I'm actually quite liking all of this.

A fiscally responsible conservative government who will make us live within our means - but - tempered with the social responsibility of the libs, has to be a good thing.

Its only the extreme left, and extreme right, whose noses seem a tad out of joint over this coalition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here