Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THE BRITS TONIGHT - some observations...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Through a combination of bad luck, boredom, and the fact that I am out on a bender tomorrow night, I slumped in front of The Brits this evening, in a vain attempt to inject some entertainment into my evening. It was, however, dire.

50 Cents. What is it with these american rappers ? Why do they absolutely insist on trying to portray themselves as "gangstas" on the wrong side of the law all the bloody time. If they've not ever actually been arrested for doing drugs, carrying illegal firearms, GBH, grand theft auto, etc etc, then they have to go and make up a little act to come across as the "bad boys". So we got a laughable scene in an interview room where "yo 50" defies some camp, trumped-up supposed authority figure, breaks out of the room and "escapes" onto the Brits stage to perform a mind-numbing rap single that I'd instantly forgotton long before the adverts. Piss. Poor.

Simon Fox steps up to present an award, and in a futile attempt to get a big cheer out of the audience, cringingly comes out with: "Ladies and gentlemen, we've been watching it back there, and I've got to tell you....this is, without doubt, the best Brits Awards ever !. He might as well have said "Ladies and gentlemen, I've just finished a pot noodle and had my assistant iron...this....SHIRT !" for all the reaction he got. If this was the best ever, then thank f*** I seem to have missed the last few.

Duran Duran took some "Contribution to Music" award, or something equally meaningless. Now I quite like Duran Duran, they've done some decent stuff over the years, for its time. I thought they milked this award a bit though, considering it was basically pointless and mildly patronising. Lets face it, they're touring again in April apparently, so this is clearly a nice little trinket of publicity to remind everyone they're still alive, before they set off. They ran through a few old favourites, but their guitarist (Nick Rhodes ?)was either pissed, stoned, or of questionable / diminishing talent. He hit so many duff notes during his big solo riffs during "Ordinairy World", it was bloody embarrassing. He needs to brush up for their tour, or get the tapes out.

And talking of tapes...The Darkness. As the latest 5-minute wonder being plastered all over the place by a stagnant music industry, they predictably swept all awards before them. But while everyone else performed Live, their rendition of "Thing Called Love" was so clearly, CLEARLY the studio release version which they mimed to. Duran Duran f***ed it up a bit by playing live, but at Least they had a go. Utterly shameful of The Darkness to have disconnected guitars and 90% mimed vocals. Garbage, utter garbage, and a complete exposure to their excruciating lack of talent. If you can't play Live boys - just don't bother at all, eh ?

Miss Tique, Gwen Stefani and Alicia Keyes utterly murdered "Kiss" by Price, even altering the lyrics to "you don't have to be rich to be my BOY, you don't have to be cool to bring me JOY" (GAAAAH, please, just leave the classics to the real maestros). Even Beyonce's thighs didn't look as slender and delicious as normal, perhaps the camera angles were unkind. They put her on straight after some goons in SKELETON costumes...I kid you not.

The one bright spot of the evening (apart from the end credits)was also, for me, the biggest surprise. I thought Busted's Live rendition of "Teenage Kicks" was bloody excellent - those lads seem to be able to play, and the vocals stood up to being shouted (as you have to with that track really). Other than that though, the whole thing was a glossy, pretencious load of old crap. I'm definately going out next year.

Last edited:

Turgid

Dec 5, 2003
Wadhurst
Have to agree with most of your observations other than comment on teenage kicks - Fergal never shouted. Other than that, fair dos.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Missed the first half hour but my thoughts...

* Duran Duran were embarrassing. "Wild Boys" for godsake.

* Alicia Keys legs - wouldn't have looked out of place on Michelle McManus.

* Cat Deeleys costume changes. What was that all about? Couldn't she decide what to wear?

* I thought Muse were pretty good.

You've just got to be able to laugh at it. Ten years ago legendary bands like Blur, Oasis and Pulp were undeniable quality, these days it's more like a comedy, reflective of the world we live in - the big, brassy and crudely obvious are up there giving awards to their peers. Let them have their joke, it's inoffensive enough and they seem to enjoy it, peace to them. Plenty of other things to enjoy and, really, the joke's on them because the bands that really are quality, from previous decades or currently going, are realised by most people except the ones with the biggest pots of gold and biggest awards ceremonies, which eventually only add a huge slice of comedy to everything, which can only be a good thing. They've really missed their own joke, which is hugely entertaining I feel.

xx

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
FAO all Fleet Street editors:

Give Easy 10 a TV Review column immediately! That was the best thing I have read in ages!

Once the Darkness got their second award, I had had enough. Shania Twain missed a great opportunity for a laugh by not ripping off the right bit of her dress when presenting the award to Justin. Does Katie Mewling really have any talent? Beyonce miming 90 per cent of her rubbish hit? The bloke from Basement Jaxx had a really silly voice.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cheers Bry Nylon. But I'm no Ally Ross - that bloke CRACKS me up.
Ross's comment on the Terrys Orange chocolate adds featuring Dawn French:

"Kills two birds with one stone - an advert for chocolate, and a government health warning all rolled into one"

:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
Beyonce miming 90 per cent of her rubbish hit?
Can't say I noticed that. I was looking at her arse. She didn't wobble it as good as she does in the video in the bits where it goes "uh oh uh oh uh oh uh oh".

All digital effects I suppose. Can't trust anything nowadays. :rolleyes:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
London Irish said:
Once the Darkness got their second award, I had had enough. Shania Twain missed a great opportunity for a laugh by not ripping off the right bit of her dress when presenting the award to Justin. B]

Why were you not in control of stage directions for the evening? :(

Really can't see (or rather, hear) the appeal of The Darkness. Surely one incarnation of Queen was bad enough, who needs another?

Can understand why people want music that sounds a bit more "fun" than the likes of Coldplay or Radiohead. Just wish it sounded a little less, er, "shit" than The Darkness.

Outkast and Beyonce - a duet?? Surely, just two entirely separate songs and performances that merely followed one after the other. . .?

And Duran Duran, lifetime achievement award? Paul Weller must be turning in his grave. . .

Lush

Mods' Pet
Easy 10 said:
.......She didn't wobble it as good as she does in the video in the bits where it goes "uh oh uh oh uh oh uh oh".

All digital effects I suppose. Can't trust anything nowadays. :rolleyes:

That explains why I've been practicing that for weeks and still can't get it right....:D

SussexSpur said:
Paul Weller must be turning in his grave. . .

I doubt it. You can only get bothered about these things if they have an element of credibility about them. I'm sure Weller would like nothing less than to receive an award from Cat Deeley in between mimed performances by The Darkness and 50 Cent.

Really the Brits might as well just be handed out to random strangers in the street, they lack that much consequence in the scheme of musical importance.

For all the reasons listed above and probably more other posters will add the mainstream music industry is a farce, so treat it like a farce.

xx

Last edited:

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Dont mind slagging of the event and certain individuals because it was a pretty dire turn of events.........but leave BEYONCE alone...

SHE DAMN FINE

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lush said:
That explains why I've been practicing that for weeks and still can't get it right....:D
Practice by pushing your arse up against your washing machine when it goes into its final spin. I got it off to a tee that way.

;)

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
chemical brother said:
You've just got to be able to laugh at it. Ten years ago legendary bands like Blur, Oasis and Pulp were undeniable quality
How music has gone downhill since those great days... :nono:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
chemical brother said:
I doubt it. You can only get bothered about these things if they have an element of credibility about them. I'm sure Weller would like nothing less than to receive an award from Cat Deeley in between mimed performances by The Darkness and 50 Cent.

Really the Brits might as well just be handed out to random strangers in the street, they lack that much consequence in the scheme of musical importance.

For all the reasons listed above and probably more other posters will add the mainstream music industry is a farce, so treat it like a farce.

xx

Sure, sure - you just know though how much coverage and hyperbole this - and award-winners (ceremony-sweepers) like The Darkness will receive tomorrow in the papers.
Suppose I'm just like most music fans though - want "my" bands to be recognised, then will be the first to react against anyone else leaping belatedly on the bandwagon!
Think Paul Weller's done his best stuff in a long while this past year, pretty refreshing-sounding. And would guess he's not too cut up about missing out to soppy ol' Daniel Bedingfield tonight.

Ah well, as Rufus "Should have been best international male based on most recent album, well, if Sussex Spur had been the only voter, anyway" Wainwright put it: "Oh what a world we live in. . ."

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Lush said:
* I thought Muse were pretty good.

That was the best bit for me. Cracking performance. The White Stripes acceptance speach was very funny. Overall it was highly forgetable.

Dr Fox.........cock.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Duran Duran were the highlight , their back catalogue iof songs is very very good and I thought their live playing was pretty good.

Busted are a breath of fresh air and a teen band with some originality and talent.

Muse are a very good act.

Thats is really.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Tosh.

Not really understanding the Busted praise on this site to be honest but each to their own.

I really did enjoy Beyonce's performance, very sexy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here