Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Brighton Marathon.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I don't think the email is confirming entry, just more an update that you can enter on Tuesday.

I'm due to do the Beachy Head version in October, will start training soon...

I ran the Beachy Head in 2003, it nearly killed me. Hit "the wall" just before the Seven Sisters, around the 16m mark. I came in in 4hrs 21mins

I thought I'd be cool and went clubbing that night in the Honey Club, about 11pm my legs seized up and I had to get my missus to half-carry me up to the King's Road to get a taxi

Good luck and hope for a calm day

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Right, bit of a silly question here...

Ive never done a long distance race but when Im in the gym I can run 11-12km (in 45mins-1hr) when I put my mind to it so I was thinking about doing the Brighton 10k next year but now this is going ahead, would it be stupid of me to think abou doing this or does ayone think it can be done?

I dont do any fitness training specifically apart from playing football but I do have quite a good basic level of fitness.

Am I being silly to consider it?

If you can do an hour in the gym with a 3 month program you'll be able to step up to the marathon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thats what im hoping for.

I currently do hour runs at 15k speed in gym 6 days a week

I was doing 3 hourly runs per week at 8mph and then started a RunnersWorld program for 3 months. I think it was a 4 month program but I joined it at the 1 month mark. I clocked 3:21 in the end. You sound a lot fitter than me so I doubt you'll have any problems if you stick to the schedule.

Good luck.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I was doing 3 hourly runs per week at 8mph and then started a RunnersWorld program for 3 months. I think it was a 4 month program but I joined it at the 1 month mark. I clocked 3:21 in the end. You sound a lot fitter than me so I doubt you'll have any problems if you stick to the schedule.

Good luck.

I think I saw that, Im worried about pacing

MrMan

Apr 24, 2009
I ran the Beachy Head in 2003, it nearly killed me. Hit "the wall" just before the Seven Sisters, around the 16m mark. I came in in 4hrs 21mins

I thought I'd be cool and went clubbing that night in the Honey Club, about 11pm my legs seized up and I had to get my missus to half-carry me up to the King's Road to get a taxi

Did 10 miles this morning, 1st week of training - 1hr 48.

4:21 sounds good to me!

Your time is very respectable for such a hard race. I have run this one 5 times & will be back in October. Those steps get me every time & that bag piper!

MrMan

Apr 24, 2009
Is Beachy Head going to be as bad as I think it will for my first marathon?!

Am I right in thinking I can add something like 30-45 minutes more than I might expect to do a "normal" marathon?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Am I right in thinking I can add something like 30-45 minutes more than I might expect to do a "normal" marathon?

Yes

Yes, at least!

Is anyone doing the downland challenge (30 miles) this month?

D

Deleted User X18H

I am starting gently Brighton Station to Peter Pans and back to The Pier or twice round Preston Park and back up The Drove......................ish!!

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
starting slowly to be honest, did 5 miles round shoreham beach today, i reckon im going to take 5 and a half hours to finish, couldnt care big achievment and for a good cause.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm in, and it's going to be my first. Training began on Monday - the only running I've ever done before was the Sydney City-Surf 15k a couple of years ago (which killed me). No ideas about time or anything like that. I suppose for the first one it's all about the finishing?

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
starting slowly to be honest, did 5 miles round shoreham beach today, i reckon im going to take 5 and a half hours to finish, couldnt care big achievment and for a good cause.

Nice one. The time doesn't matter, just as long as you get round ok.

Excellent choice of charity to run for, as I only have one kidney (and the other is failing) I'm sure all your efforts will be gratefully received. I'll give you a toot if I see you plodding around S'ham beach.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8

It depends how fit you are. They say it's better to do a flat marathon first. Beachy Head is far from that, all hills with the worst (Seven Sisters) at the end. When I ran it in 2003 I don't think anyone had ever ran sub-3 hours on it, that shows you how hard the hills are.

But fook it, he who dares Rodders and all that. Better views than London as well. Treat it as fun, there was different groups when I ran it, serious athletes (blue), runners (red) and walkers/ramblers (green).

If a green passes you then sack it!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here