Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The booing of Ricky Ponting

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see the England players were turfed out of their hotel with a 5am false fire alarm this morning. Yeah right, some mischievious Aussie's behind that no doubt.

f*** etiquette - this is the business end of the Ashes and the gloves are OFF...

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
The real feelings for Ponting were displayed after the Lord's test, I think. He was pretty much invited by a question in the post-match interviews to blame the defeat on umpiring decisions. He declined to take the bait and was applauded by the crowd accordingly. I suspect that, given that his 2nd innings at the Oval (should there be one) is likely to be his last Ashes innings in this country, his reception there will be considerably different.

I've got a ticket for the Sunday at the Oval so may get the chance to find out first hand. :smokin:

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Remember Bay 13 at THE MCG (stiil exists) or the Hill at The SCG, field infront of them and you took your live in your own hands. Abuse and lumps of ice thrown. Was it Ray Illingworth who took the players off the pitch during a test at The SCG in 1970 something.

When I went to Sydney - the Hill had been taken over by the Barmy Army - I think that hurt the Aussies more than any amount of booing. In general, the Barmy Army that travel do know their cricket and will acknowledge achievements by the opposition.

As far as the booing of Ponting is concerned - a lot has to do with the comments he made about sportsmanship after the first test. And fair play to him, he hasn't complained about being booed. I suspect he'd be more worried if he wasn't the subject of abuse!

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I don't think it's the booing that's the problem, more some of the abuse. In the large part it's all shits and giggles but I think sometime's it's all get's a bit silly and unnecessary

There is no such thing as unnecessary when it comes to slagging Aussies off :wrong:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
anyone wondered if the booing is coming from the Aussie supporters

just WIN the bloody things back then we can all rest easy in our beds

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
To be honest if cricket was reserved for the Upper Classes, which I am proud to belong to myself, the abuse received Australia would be worse.

Sadly, I feel compelled to inform you that your vulgar boasting gives you away as a mere wanna-be: not a Bona Fide member of the Toff Set. Toodles! :bigwave:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
We are English so we set a good example. Of course the hooligan ozzy's/convicts are going to be roudy. But us as their former masters must rise above it. It is just not English.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
To be honest if cricket was reserved for the Upper Classes, which I am proud to belong to myself, the abuse received Australia would be worse.

:laugh: I think you have to be a Lord/Lady or at least have someone in your family that is. Or have a noble family to be upper class. I have a problem seeing how you could to be honest.

i agree mate , clap them when they get their centuries etc , but this plank was on about applauding good stroke play and the like, make it intimidating for them, lets have a bit more of a winning is everything attitude, because lets face it, it is.

but as an Albion fan you will know that believing that "winning is everything"
is bollocks because if WINNING was EVERYTHING, then Hereford (a 1-1 draw), and the Cup Final (a 2-2 draw) would be ignored :dunce:

One of the most enjoyable game I attended was the 4-5 defeat at Sheffield United when the result became irrelevant. In fact had we won 1-0, would it have been more memorable?

By all means boo them if you want too, but if you dish it out, you'd better be ready to take it back with bells on when its directed at you

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The way things are going this morning, I reckon the crowd should be roundly booing the bloody USELESS England players. :rant:

When I went to Sydney - the Hill had been taken over by the Barmy Army - I think that hurt the Aussies more than any amount of booing. In general, the Barmy Army that travel do know their cricket and will acknowledge achievements by the opposition.

As far as the booing of Ponting is concerned - a lot has to do with the comments he made about sportsmanship after the first test. And fair play to him, he hasn't complained about being booed. I suspect he'd be more worried if he wasn't the subject of abuse!

the Hill at the SCG is no more and has been replaced by the new Victor Trumper stand
DSC_0101.jpg

wbSCGwork_wideweb__470x318,0.jpg

before this was the Hill in all its glory
nla.pic-an14066835-20-v

300px-Yabbas_Hill_and_Doug_Walters_Stand.JPG

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's obviously worked a TREAT at unsettling him:

Onions to Ponting, FOUR, crunch! That is an awesome pull! Too short, really poor bowling from Onions and Ponting slams that one forward of midwicket with immense power

Onions to Ponting, 2 runs, worked away off the pads for a couple just behind square leg, the fine leg fielder had only just moved finer

Onions to Ponting, no run, beats the bat this time, Onions gets the length a bit better

Australia have 50 already. My word. They're going at nearly eight an over!

Onions to Ponting, FOUR, and another boundary, that one clipped off the hips to fine leg

Onions to Ponting, SIX, what a welcome! That was short and not super quick, so Ponting had a lot of time to get back and pulled that deliberately high over midwicket, it lands in the crowd. Wonderful shot

An early change now and Graham Onions gets his first opportunity. Three slips in place.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
FINALLY the booing gets to him. Great effort everyone. They're really on the ropes now.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't know what all the old farts are getting upset about, it's quite clear that the booing of Ponting is entirely in jest: they view him as something of a pantomime villain, that's all. The same as they did with Warne.

It's not nasty, it's not personal, and cricket crowds still very much applaud good play, whether it's by Ponting, England (chance would be a fine thing today) or anyone else on the field. Unlike in most other spectator sports, to be honest.

Remember Bay 13 at THE MCG (stiil exists) or the Hill at The SCG, field infront of them and you took your live in your own hands. Abuse and lumps of ice thrown. Was it Ray Illingworth who took the players off the pitch during a test at The SCG in 1970 something.

that was the Paddington Hill at the other end of the ground.

ashes_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

The Saturday crowd was still boiling with hostility following Snow's bouncer which had ricocheted off Terry Jenner's head and sent the Australian leg spinner reeling to the pitch. But in his strong-jawed nonchalance, the Sussex man knew exactly what he was doing when he took up his fielding position after the over, returning not to his usual position a short distance infield on the fine-leg fence, but posting himself near enough to touch the white palings before the baying crowd.

With the crowd beginning to calm down, a middle-aged man, the worse for alcoholic wear, came over and, initially in jovial mood, leaned across the fence and took Snow by the arm, not in aggressive fashion.

Snow pulled away, the spectator hung on and the incident deteriorated into an ugly confrontation. Snow freed himself and retreated, and the crowd, already fuming over the near scalping of Jenner, took retribution by hurling cans and bottles on to the field.

England's captain, Ray Illingworth, assessed the situation at a glance and, considering the safety of his players, led his team from the field.

My favourite "Hill" story is of the 1932-3 "Bodyline" series when Douglas Jardine was batting. He was waving away flies around his face when a loud voice was heard to shout "Oi Jardine! Leave our flies alone!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here