Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The booing of Ricky Ponting

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
Listening to this mornings addition of The today program the subject of the antics carried out by The Barmy Army was raised. I can't understand why people were upset by the manner in which Ricky Ponting was greeted as he walked out to bat during during the last test match. Compared to the treatment that English batsmen receive in Australia you could say that Ponting had been handed the keys to a new top of the range BMW. I don't believe that any of the people who booed Ponting were doing anything more than engaging in a bit of Aussie baiting, nothing nasty or malicious. Ponting himself was not upset. This is all part of the make up Ashes cricket which has been going on for years. I can't remember Dominic Lawson and his PC brigade making any comment about the behaviour of the Indian supporters when England played India at Lords in this years 20 20 cup

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My friend works in the office next to the Aussie's Leeds hotel. He says he went out this morning and there was about 50 people giving them JIP already...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I like this thread title.
It'd be a good title for a film.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't think it's the booing that's the problem, more some of the abuse. In the large part it's all shits and giggles but I think sometime's it's all get's a bit silly and unnecessary

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
i remember during the 2005 series, the head of the MCC appealed for english fans at lords to applaud good play from BOTH teams, like that would happen in australia, and they wonder about english teams lack of killer instinct............. c u n t.

i remember during the 2005 series, the head of the MCC appealed for english fans at lords to applaud good play from BOTH teams, like that would happen in australia,

The thing is bushy, in my experience, that DOES happen. Yes we give the Australians plenty of jip, but it's not like we are booing them when they get 50s/100s/Michelles. Then their achievements get rightly lauded. Just look at the reception Shane Warne got at the end of the last series, despite being a bit of a figure of fun throughout.

The amount of fuss that has been made about the jip that Ponting in particular has received is completely ridiculous. I must say I was disapointed that Aggers was saying things like 'this ridiculous booing must stop'. Unless we want to see cricket become the preserve of the upper classes, and ultimately die off altogether, cricket has to accept the changes in the way that players are viewed and the crowd react.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The thing is bushy, in my experience, that DOES happen. Yes we give the Australians plenty of jip, but it's not like we are booing them when they get 50s/100s/Michelles. Then their achievements get rightly lauded. Just look at the reception Shane Warne got at the end of the last series, despite being a bit of a figure of fun throughout.

The amount of fuss that has been made about the jip that Ponting in particular has received is completely ridiculous. I must say I was disapointed that Aggers was saying things like 'this ridiculous booing must stop'. Unless we want to see cricket become the preserve of the upper classes, and ultimately die off altogether, cricket has to accept the changes in the way that players are viewed and the crowd react.
i agree mate , clap them when they get their centuries etc , but this plank was on about applauding good stroke play and the like, make it intimidating for them, lets have a bit more of a winning is everything attitude, because lets face it, it is.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You can still create an intimidating atmosphere and appreciate milestones and good play from your opposition. You do it be cheering on YOUR side, not booing the opposition.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
The thing that made 2005 great was the atmosphere at the games, it was so far removed from a 'traditional' quiet Test audience that applauds good shots and that's why it was brilliant. To lose that in this day and age would kill all mainstream interest in the sport.

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
I recall an English cricketer receiving a spot of the verbals from a young Aussie.The cricketer asked said young fellow..do they teach you manners in school? They teach us how to beat Pomms came the reply.
To be honest if cricket was reserved for the Upper Classes, which I am proud to belong to myself, the abuse received Australia would be worse.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Anyone who thinks that by booing the Australians you make them play any worse has clearly never watched the Australians. They revel in that stuff, they love it and I'm certain that they certainly play better because of it. The highest ever Australian run scorer in tests isn't really going to crumble to the ground and start crying just because some gormless drunken twat from Leeds opens his thick gob.

Excessive booing etc isn't just a bit naff but more importantly from an England point of view it's totally counter-productive IMHO.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
really , did they struggle much ?

Very Good bushster.

Anyone who thinks that Australia give a shit about getting abuse from the crowd has never Watched Cricket in Oz.

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
A few years back a fellow member of The MCC said unlucky to Alan Border when he returned to the Lords pavilion and Border replyed F..K off you c..t. On another occasion
I was verbally abused by Damien Martin (Aussie cricketer) in the Lords pavilion. After a further exchange of expletives we ended up having a good laugh. This is what it's all about. Take away the mocking, ribbing and friendly banter then what are you left with?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I was reading his interview in the Telegraph and he thinks the Barmy Army are the best sports supporters in the World. He doesnt mind the booing, its what ashes crickets is all about

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
Remember Bay 13 at THE MCG (stiil exists) or the Hill at The SCG, field infront of them and you took your live in your own hands. Abuse and lumps of ice thrown. Was it Ray Illingworth who took the players off the pitch during a test at The SCG in 1970 something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here