Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Board have bottled it haven't they?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm quite calm thanks. I'm not the one screaming for the managers head after a shit start to a season (and it IS just a start), and I'm not the one assuming a new manager, the TENTH in 9 seasons, would come in, click his fingers and have us storming up the league.

I think we all need to calm down a bit and give the guy a chance. The start has been abysmal, there's no getting away from that fact. But the problems on the pitch are far from insurmountable. For me its a case of a bit of tweaking, rather than wholesale panic-stations-get-rid-of-the-manager RIGHT NOW time.

3 wins in 14 games is a run of form. A run of POOR form for sure, but its not necessarily an indicator for an entire season.

:stupid:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
The board haven't bottled it - they'd have only bottled it if they'd given in to the small but vocal band of ADHD sufferers who seem to have infested this board lately, and sacked a man before he's had sufficient time to sort out the defensive shortcomings (having a settled back four will go some way towards this).

Post of the day.:bowdown:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd love success every year. But I also understand that won't happen. I'd love us to go up this year. I think it's still possible. Under wilkins we dropped to 16th with only a third of the season remaining on the back of a poor run of form, we still managed to make it to 7th. We have two thirds of the season remaining, and so I see promotion as still attainable this year.

I want us to start at falmer in the chamiponship, and I worry that if we go up this year, we'll come back down next year and will end up in league one for falmer. So, not going up this year is not the end of the world for me. Going down would be bad, so for me, this season is about allowing the team to develop as a unit. Get everyone fit, get every one working together. Even if that means flirting with relegation early on, as long as we don't go down this year.

So, for me, changing the manager only needs to happen when it is looking quite dire. We saw last year that even leaving it as late as we did, there was still enough time to lose 5 games and still stay up. I remember thinking this time last year that sticking by Adams would make the situation irredeemable if Adams didn't turn it around soon. He never turned it around and the situation was still redeemable.

It might feel like if we don't act now we'll be too far gone this year, but I don't believe that to be the case. Give Slade plenty of time. Christmas, for me, is a bare minimum waiting period.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Even if the board and Bloom do want to sack Slade along with dumb and dumber, I can't see them doing it until they have lined up a replacement. Also, I wander what the cost implications are of paying off all 3 of them? Whether you are in the Slade in or Slade out camp, there is no patience in football anymore. Look at where Middlesborough are in the table and yet Southgate still gets the sack.

Apart from the likes of Ferguson, Wenger and Moyes, there can't be too many clubs who have kept a manager more than a few seasons. I,m not saying that is right, but its just another factor of modern football. Anyone taking a job in football management must look at it as a bit of a merry go round. Even if they have a long career in management, its likely that will involve managing quite a few teams instead of one.

For the record, I don't think Slade is up to it. Did a good job towards the end of last season. I was actually quite happy with most of the players he brought in. There are some good indivduals, but for whatever reason he can't get the players to perform the way he wants them to.

I know he has been unlucky with injuries and not able to put out a settled side, but the team not gelling yet doesn't wash with me. I believe our real problem is purely a coaching one.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Put yourselves in Bloom's shoes in yesterdays meeting with RS, you'd be asking in no uncertain terms why we're in the position we're in, what RS is going to do about it and how. If RS hadn't been convincing in his answers and given a positive attitude in turning things round , TB would have picked up on that and been right to give him his cards on the spot.
That hasn't happened yet, so he lives to fight another day.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
So do you guys reckon you'll have caught up when we're in the bottom four come December?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So do you guys reckon you'll have caught up when we're in the bottom four come December?

Maybe.

Do you reckon you'll have caught up when we're top half by december, with tough games behind us and momentum carrying us to the play offs?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I'd love success every year. But I also understand that won't happen. I'd love us to go up this year. I think it's still possible. Under wilkins we dropped to 16th with only a third of the season remaining on the back of a poor run of form, we still managed to make it to 7th. We have two thirds of the season remaining, and so I see promotion as still attainable this year.

I want us to start at falmer in the chamiponship, and I worry that if we go up this year, we'll come back down next year and will end up in league one for falmer. So, not going up this year is not the end of the world for me. Going down would be bad, so for me, this season is about allowing the team to develop as a unit. Get everyone fit, get every one working together. Even if that means flirting with relegation early on, as long as we don't go down this year.

So, for me, changing the manager only needs to happen when it is looking quite dire. We saw last year that even leaving it as late as we did, there was still enough time to lose 5 games and still stay up. I remember thinking this time last year that sticking by Adams would make the situation irredeemable if Adams didn't turn it around soon. He never turned it around and the situation was still redeemable.

It might feel like if we don't act now we'll be too far gone this year, but I don't believe that to be the case. Give Slade plenty of time. Christmas, for me, is a bare minimum waiting period.

:clap2:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I am angry Russ is still at the club. :angry:

I think it would have been easier to sack him, so contrary to your (valid) opinion I think the board have done the brave and correct thing by keeping him.

Patients is needed, we're not going to go from relegation certainties (which we were when RS took over last season) to promotion candidates overnight.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
He should have gone, he may still go, there is still time. In case you haven't noticed we are in the relegation zone and it's not good enough. We will probably go down too if we keep this bald clown. Time for a change.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
No, the board have not bottled it, they've seen sense at not done what Knight always did. They have patience. They are in the job because they are qualified to be. You, however, are in no way associated with the running of the club, and never will be. And thank f*** for that, as we'd probably average a sacking after every training session and I would be in charge by May! :thumbsup:

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009

Mate, I honestly mean that that is the best post I have ever read on NSC, ever. Well done for seeing sense :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
where is it written that there has been a board meeting, no mention in the argus or even on seagulls world, have people assumed there has been one because RS is still in a job?

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
im pretty sure they probably have a weekly meeting anyway,i dont want RS out i think he needs time and as previously stated its lack of concentration of players which is to blame. I would imagine that if it were my club i would not sack a manager before an important game favouring that the existing one stays in charge untill a replacement is lined up.

Mar 10, 2006
What we need is stability - there's been too many managers at the club in recent years. The worrying thing for me is not the fact that we've had a poor start and found ourselves in the relegation zone but the fact that we've been out of the zone on several occasions only to drop back into it by losing to teams we shouldn't have. It's bloody hard to get out of the relagation spots and once you do you must take advantage of it by consistantly picking up points to haul you further away from it.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Great post! I think you're right but I dont think it will happen that way. He needs points and he needs them now.

I am depressed with the situation now but we are not being cut losse from the toher stragglers and so a couple of good games will send us up the table. If we find ourselves five or six points down in the relegation zone then it becomes a crisis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here