Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Bloom Stand

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Like every other Albion supporter - I'm eternally grateful for Tony Bloom's remarkable generosity, but naming a stand after him reeks of a TOTAL lack of class IMO. It reminds me of the Slug Ellis business when his name was used to replace that of the old Witton Lane Stand. :sick:

Personally, I think TB's got a bit more about him than to see his ego displayed on top of a big roof or a ticket stub/swipe card. :thumbsup:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Like every other Albion supporter - I'm eternally grateful for Tony Bloom's remarkable generosity, but naming a stand after him reeks of a TOTAL lack of class IMO. It reminds me of the Slug Ellis business when his name was used to replace that of the old Witton Lane Stand. :sick:

Personally, I think TB's got a bit more about him than to see his ego displayed on top of a big roof or a ticket stub/swipe card. :thumbsup:

Agree with TT. :)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
As stands will be sponsored, maybe the planned new training complex where our future stars bloom, could have Bloom in the name somewhere? I think it would be blooming marvellous!

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
:thumbsup: Thanks all for sharing your views, it was purely a thought that TB may be too humble (as many have suggested) to push for something himself....which is entirely right of course (as per the Madejski & Ellis comments).

There have been so many involved during the dark days, who all warrant some permanent recognition (lest we forget) when all seemed lost. Perhaps there's a way to work a collective name into one of the sponsored stands to cover those critical years?

I like the idea of the Training Ground being named after him - lower profile, yet arguably a far more important location than the stadium itself in the long term.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
from the couple of times ive met tony bloom, he seems far far too modest to want anything named after him. unlike dick knight, who i imagine would love to have the entire thing in his honour

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I thought it had been mentioned that that all the stands are going to be sponsored other than the north stand, which will be named just that.

Bloom seems quite a modest chap. He doesn't seem to be the type to name anything after himself, unlike the detestable Kassam and Majedski.
I knew wiggy's name would come up, and in error. Surprised it was from you though.

Madejski built that stadium and handed Reading FC the keys. He didn't ask for the stadium to be named after him, but the Reading board felt it was appropriate. To be fair, given that Reading are now two or three times bigger than before that ground was built, I think they were right. If someone had suggested the Amex be name the Bloom Stadium, how many of us would have complained?

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think you should call it the Bloom stadium and cover it in roses and daffodils. Surely that will attract support from the fairer sex.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If he has to have something named after him I'd quite like to to see Village Way renamed as Bloom Road. I do think naming individual stands is a bit naff (a bit like giving a pet name to your private parts) whereas roads have to have names and they are often named after people. Also those who don't like corporate names for stadiums (and let's face it, no one really does but we've been lucky with The Amex) can happily say that "Brighton play at Bloom Road."

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If he has to have something named after him I'd quite like to to see Village Way renamed as Bloom Road. I do think naming individual stands is a bit naff (a bit like giving a pet name to your private parts) whereas roads have to have names and they are often named after people. Also those who don't like corporate names for stadiums (and let's face it, no one really does but we've been lucky with The Amex) can happily say that "Brighton play at Bloom Road."
Totally agree with this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here