Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The blame lies with McGhee

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Ned Zelic said:
I agree with Bens Grandad to a certain extent regarding Danny Cullip, he may have only come back recently from injury but he was badly shown by Ashton on many ocassions today. He is a excellent Div 2 player and a great servant to the club, but his limitations are shown at this level and the fact that no club came in for him when on the transfer list says something.

As for blaming Mark McGhee - get into the real world. Wenger or Ferguson would struggle to do better with his meagre resources and in my opinion he is a better and more astute manager than Micky Adams.

Better & more astute than Adams?

I'm just out on the lash...I'll have a pint of what you're on mate!

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Ned Zelic said:
As for blaming Mark McGhee - get into the real world. Wenger or Ferguson would struggle to do better with his meagre resources and in my opinion he is a better and more astute manager than Micky Adams.

But I would expect any of those managers to put a striker (even a winger) on the bench, ahead of one of three defensive midfielders, plus a defender. It's not abuse, it's constructive criticism.

Ned Zelic

Nov 6, 2004
To be fair I agree with comments about the subs bench. 1 out of Carpenter,Hammond and Oatway would have sufficed. Carpenter and Oatway have been part of the team for a long time and are big personalities in the team and I'm not sure that Mark McGhee dared to make the drastic move of dropping them altogether from the 16 even if it did lessen our options on the bench.

Buckingham

Feb 23, 2004
Brighton
I have to say although i am a big fan of McGhee, today baffled me totally.

To not at least try and change things when we playing simply awfully was awful management. I thought poor Dan Harding didn't have a clue what he was meant to be doing out there. I know we had few attacking options on the bench, but whose fault was that? He simply stood there and watched it happen, like a cardboard cut out.

I think he's so fed up with the situation here that he could well walk, looked today like he didn't really care.

BensGrandad said:
Would you stay as manager with both hands and your feet tied together.

McGhee has often been asked this question and the answer is yes. The limitations were spelt out to him honestly before he was hired, and he is bright enough to understand them even if others aren't.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
In the classic 4-3-3 you sacrifice one player in midfield and have a wide player (they used to be called wingers) upfront.

This means that the three midfielders have to do more running around to cover the same space as if there was one extra player. This ideally means a central midfielder that runs on a diagonal run from left back to right wing.

It is the most exciting system to play, but to my mind Albion would struggle to find the players to play this system. This means players with a lot of stamina in midfield.

4-4-2 would seem the obvious system to play at home. It can get turgid.

For the next away matches I would tend to crowd the midfield with five players and leave just one up front. (against 4-4-2)

The wing-back system is flawed with five at the back. The opposing side can only play on wing at a time so one full back is out of the action.

I don't mind five at the back if one is an attacking centre-half that can move into midfield or play as a stopper in front of the back four.

West Ham have got favour 4-3-3 against the Albion? I would like to man-mark their central midfielder (chase him all over the pitch). It is OK to play 4-4-2 against 4-3-3.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
To have only one recognized striker on the pitch and none on the bench. To have Harding in place of Carpenter. Mayo in place of Harding. No Hammond. No Jarrett. Then have Currie playing out of position? We never stood a chance.
How can Molango not be fit, he's been here for months. How can Jake not be ready? Not only was Peircy unfit, but he looked half a stone overweight as well. Only Nicolas looked as though he was up for it. Any answers, 'cause I haven't.
:angry:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The only decision I can't fathom from today is why Piercey was not substituted at half-time. Have rarely seen a more wretched performance in the stripes in recent memory. Fair enough, mostly not the lad's fault - he's hardly match fit and he sure as hell didn't ask to play up-front alongside Leon. But practically every pass he attempted in the first half went astray and surely it would have been for the best all round if Hammond had started the second half.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS if you play the classic 4-3-3 (or attempt to) you usually end up playing up the left wing.

Albion could play the opposite variation with Chippy (instead of Danny Harding) playing central midfield role (from right back to left wing) and playing up the right wing. I was hoping that this would happen when Chippy came back into the team.

This worked better with Bobby Z who was left footed. He could drift wide and operate as a left winger to switch the play if we played mainly up the right. As Leon Knight is right footed it can arguably make sense the play up the left wing.

There is less point playing up the right wing cause this would mean the right back (Hinshelwood) and the right wide player (Gary Hart) and the right footed Leon Knight would be an overdose of players on the right. Mess up the shape.

The trouble with playing with any system is the players are a bit thick. I think most players like playing 5-3-2 cause it is easier on their brains, but it is not as efficient.

No point having two wingers, you can only play on one wing at once. Except that with 4-4-2 the two wide midfield players can take it in turns to run up the wing. It is less tiring for the poor souls as well.

It would help if more than none player could take the corners, to avoid Currie wandering over to the far side. Peter Taylor changed this when he was Manager.

:drink:

Last edited:

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Don't really understand McGees' excuse that Jake isn't ready yet. Unless he is played in at least part of every game how is he going to ever gain enough experience at this level to be "ready"? When he came on during the first game of the season at Reading he looked capable, quick and full of confidence, resulting in him getting our 2nd goal and putting us back in contention. That's what we could have done with today.
I understand that with Jake and Leon playing alongside each other up front we would lack a bit of height but perhaps then we would be FORCED to play the ball on the ground instead of hoofing it upfield, something we have been guilty of on so many occasions.
Let's start fazeing him in now, because if we lose both Knight and Virgo at the same time we've had it.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
At Sunderland he made the tactical error of bringing on Albert when really a point would have been good enough,and today well,the less said the better.

Looks like those Millwall fans have a valid point about his formations etc.:eek:

Clarke Quay

Oct 27, 2004
Hampshire
Of course Adams, Coppell, Taylor and now McGhee get stick from fans at games and on this board. It's natural to let off steam after awful defeats.

Brighton being so high profile a city with key national journalists living locally, some excellent mamagers have taken on the job. The Chairman's powers of persuasion must also help us secure top managers. But they've all walked mainly due to the lack of a ground and the financial problems that result.

We surely don't wanr Mark Mc Ghee going the same way? Who else could do better? We were 30 seconds away from not even reaching the D2 play-off final..we are punching above our weight!!

Get behind Mark and give him thr respect due to a tried and tested Division 1 manager.

Good that's off my chest;feel better now!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Clarke Quay said:
Of course Adams, Coppell, Taylor and now McGhee get stick from fans at games and on this board. It's natural to let off steam after awful defeats.

Brighton being so high profile a city with key national journalists living locally, some excellent mamagers have taken on the job. The Chairman's powers of persuasion must also help us secure top managers. But they've all walked mainly due to the lack of a ground and the financial problems that result.

We surely don't wanr Mark Mc Ghee going the same way? Who else could do better? We were 30 seconds away from not even reaching the D2 play-off final..we are punching above our weight!!

Get behind Mark and give him thr respect due to a tried and tested Division 1 manager.

Good that's off my chest;feel better now!

I would agree but at least give the man a level playing field on which to perform. i.e the board must find the money for a striker NOW.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BensGrandad said:
I would agree but at least give the man a level playing field on which to perform. i.e the board must find the money for a striker NOW.

Tell the board where the money trees are then :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here