Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The blame lies with McGhee

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
McGhee is a hero and anyone that thinks differently can see me outside the club shop.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Beach Hut said:
I think the biggest issue DK has is his desire that the club does not spend future revenues in the knowledge that there are none whilst we remain at Withdean.

It could just be that by holding on a little longer and we get the green light for Falmer the whole situation will change.

I think that we keep going round in circles. I can understand DK and his desire to keep the debts low in case of further problems etc but my view is that some money must be raised even if it be by way of further directors loans of £25,000 each to pay the wages of a striker for this season.

IF

This was done we would possibly stay in this division, not guaranteed , but more likely, by which time FALMER will be sorted one way or the other and then adjustments can be made to the playing budget for next season. 16 players are out of contract at the end of this season I believe, this gives us the scope to either offer new contracts or not depending on either our league position, Falmer approval or our financial state. Is this view so wrong?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We all know we're skint but not have an attacking player on the bench was just stupid. How on earth are we going to get back into the game by bringing Hammond on?

He doesn't think Robinon's ready but what about Molango?

Where was Jarrett?

Harding can't play in midfield - he was a passenger for the whole game. We needed him at the back with his pace instead of the hapless Mayo.

I'm a fan of MM but sometimes he gets his starting line ups wrong and yesterday was one of those occasions.

And, Virgo is an up and coming centre back not the answer to our striking problems.

We are going down.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Would agree with everything Sneaky - except that last sentence.

BG may not be 'having a pop at DK', but he does have an inherent mistrust of the current board. I don't know, that could be a healthy poisition to take - once bitten, twice shy etc.

However, with this current board, I feel that is a cynical line to take. They have constantly put themselves up for scrutiny, they are an open and approachable board of directors. If anyone believes that there is any level of dishonesty, or unscrupulous dealing going on, ask them straight. If you have evidence - present it.

They asked fans for more money because (a) the club didn't have it and (b) quite rightly, they believe that the club belongs to everyone, and we must therefore share both the spoils and the responsibility.

Yes, it is a private company, but it's one thing not trusting them, but to insinuate that they are in it for the money - that's just plain absurd.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The question about Jakey or Molango being on the bench is because McGhee doesn't think either of them are ready.

I watched them against Lewes a few weeks back and I agree with him. I don't know whether it is confidence or what but neither of them looked good enough (at that point)

Just another point to throw into the cooking pot - we have had a load of injuries and illnesses to the squad and MM has had to work with what he has.

Surely at some point in the season things will start going our way.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yorkie said:
The question about Jakey or Molango being on the bench is because McGhee doesn't think either of them are ready.

I watched them against Lewes a few weeks back and I agree with him. I don't know whether it is confidence or what but neither of them looked good enough (at that point)

Just another point to throw into the cooking pot - we have had a load of injuries and illnesses to the squad and MM has had to work with what he has.

Surely at some point in the season things will start going our way.

i think things have gone our way n the playing field most this season so far

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Large One:

I may be naturally rather cynical but at the end of the day it is the directors of this club who will either gain or lose by their decisions.

To say that it is our club is just PR talk from the Chairman if not why not just go out into the crowd and grab and unknmown and allow then to attend the board meeting with a signed confidentiality clause. If they had some member of the public representing the fans it would be one 'of the chosen few' However yopu try to dress it up it is their club their business their money and their decisions.

I do not belive that the ultimate aim of any of the current board is to make a financial killing or even make money at all but you must admit that if and hopefully when Falmer is granted we will become a very desirable aquisition.

Ray Bloom has been a director through the last god knows how many boards so he obviously does it because he loves the club as indeed I believe the other directors do.

The whole crux of the matter is lack of money each of the directors do not lack money privately they are all millionaires
and as I have said earlier an extra input of £25-30000 each bby way of directors loans, bank garauntees or whatever would get us a striker and hopefully ensure our on the on field activities. They can then concentrate on getting us a stadium for the future but in so doing do not ignore the present.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If (and it is highly unlikely) the directors do make a few quid out of a financially-secure, top Division 1 / lower Premiership Brighton & Hove Albion playing to a full house at Falmer, I for one would not resent them this in return for their resilience in financially supporting the club through its most difficult period.

Dick Knight has said he does not have any more personal money to put into the club. If he did, I am certain he would have done. I find it extremely vulgar and distasteful for one person to tell, no, DEMAND, another individal what to do with their own private finances.

I ask in all politness that is it the case that feel your nose has been put out of joint by the current regime as your opinions are no longer being sought by them? Hence the personal attacks by yourself.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is not a personal attack on DK. I have supported the club since 1945 so I have seen some good times some bad times and the very bad times and hopefully my grandchildren will see as many good times as I have but unfortunately I do not have the confidence that so many others do that we shall be able to build Falmer even if and when it is granted. I feel that we have in DK a scenario somewhat similar to the man and his name passes me at the moment who bought Crystal Palace used up all the money he had then had to sell off to Simon Jordan a similar situation to Mark Hulyer who was chairman of Charlton when they played at Selhurst and didnt have sufficient money to see his dream move back to the Valley come off during his reign.

After what DK has achieved here it would be sad if the same happened here this is why I belive that he has to stick with his fellow board members and get through these dificult financial times himself and not continually ask the supporters for donations apart from anythinmg else it demeans him.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Nobody forced me to contribute, I was happy to help. There is more to supporting a club than just cheering when we score.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
This is not a personal attack on DK. I have supported the club since 1945 so I have seen some good times some bad times and the very bad times and hopefully my grandchildren will see as many good times as I have but unfortunately I do not have the confidence that so many others do that we shall be able to build Falmer even if and when it is granted. I feel that we have in DK a scenario somewhat similar to the man and his name passes me at the moment who bought Crystal Palace used up all the money he had then had to sell off to Simon Jordan a similar situation to Mark Hulyer who was chairman of Charlton when they played at Selhurst and didnt have sufficient money to see his dream move back to the Valley come off during his reign.

You have absolutely no evidence to back up this scenario happening here. Just because YOU don't know where the money for Falmer is coming from, it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am proud to be in The List in the programme, I also have a nice certificate to put on my bedroon wall and myseat name at Falmer. If I did not put my hand in my pocket to help the club now and it went tits up I could not forgive myself.

In anycase a few hundred quick is a good weekend on the piss thats all.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The trouble is that if Falmer is built it will take a lot of filling and unless we're in Division 1/Championship we will be lucky to have 10k crowds and probably no bigger than what we are getting now.
Once the novelty of a new stadium has worn off , a 20k stadium will take a lot of filling for each game and I have no confidence in the present regime being able to do this.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cheerful as usual Ernest :D

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Yorkie said:

But you've still got to have attacking options on the bench! An out of form striker is more likely to get you back into the game in the situation we were facing yesterday than Oatway or Hammond (not knocking either player, but they're not attackers). And what had Jarrett done?

Hydro Driven

Nov 1, 2004
Brighton
Why didn't he bring an attacking sub?
he brang; 1 Keeper, 1 defender and 3 midfielders! (all midfielders were manly defencive!!):nono:

Ned Zelic

Nov 6, 2004
London Irish said:

How about volunteering to help the litter patrols, more your level of expertise I think.

As 'the auditor' says, very unkind - it was a terrific gesture by BG to offer to run such a scouting network voluntarily. His past scouting record speaks for itself. The bottom line is that BG loves the Albion and like all of us wants what is best for the club.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ned Zelic said:
As 'the auditor' says, very unkind - it was a terrific gesture by BG to offer to run such a scouting network voluntarily. His past scouting record speaks for itself. The bottom line is that BG loves the Albion and like all of us wants what is best for the club.

Your new on here, your opinion of B.G. will change.Trust me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here