Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The big match - revisited.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I Understand this may be on ITV tomorrowand is featuring a Man Utd v WBA game from the early 70's.

THIS IS NOT TO BE MISSED!!!!!!

I won't spoil it by giving the score (although, no doubt somebody will) but this is one of the greatest games and features Ron Atkinson's very exciting WBA team.

It really is a cracker. Look out for a young Brain Robson and the late laurie Cunningham. You may also see Steve Coppell with hair.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
One of my most favourite games EVER, not that I was old enough to remember it but it's been aired a fair few times over the years, I shall be tuning in! Midday, ITV4.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I Understand this may be on ITV tomorrowand is featuring a Man Utd v WBA game from the early 70's.

THIS IS NOT TO BE MISSED!!!!!!

I won't spoil it by giving the score (although, no doubt somebody will) but this is one of the greatest games and features Ron Atkinson's very exciting WBA team.

It really is a cracker. Look out for a young Brain Robson and the late laurie Cunningham. You may also see Steve Coppell with hair.

I will tune in and find out.I love the old footage with the terraces.Surely it must be late 70s though?.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
NMH is, as usual, being a cock and trying to spoil it for those who may not wish to know the score 1st.

NMH, being a cock, has also got it wrong twice. no doubt he will continue and eventually, hit on the correct score.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Great game, but what happened at the end with the ref? He goes to catch the ball, misses, all the players look a bit bewildered and then he blows the final whistle. In todays game he would have probably been suspended, but as it was everybody seemed to shrug, shake hands and wander off. Some full on crunching tackles flying in, but players just got up and carried on - even saw the magic sponge at one point

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What a racist that Ron Atkinson is, it's 1978 and the only black players in his team were Batson. Cunningham and Regis :jester:

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
I always regarded this as one of my favourite no score draws. 0-0 but great entertainment!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Big Ron on man of the match:

"One of the two front coloured people, Cyril Regis"

Quality from the Non-Racist 'Big Ron' there

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Gerald Sinstadt looked like he was fresh off Thunderbirds.

Lot's of Albion connections, Man Utd had Andy ritchie, Mickey Thomas, Steve Coppel and were managed by Dave Sexton.

In the Arsenal match were Stapleton, Brady, Young & Gatting. I wonder if that Coventry v Everton game would have gone ahead in these days?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Somehow missed this thread, but saw the programme. CLASSIC tv. Proper tackling, decent commentary, bloody good football - if only the modern day was a bit more like it!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Big Ron on man of the match:

"One of the two front coloured people, Cyril Regis"

Quality from the Non-Racist 'Big Ron' there

not rascist - just a reflection of the time. Or are you calling Brian Moore rascist for praising the 'wonderful contribution to football being made by the black players' ?

not rascist - just a reflection of the time. Or are you calling Brian Moore rascist for praising the 'wonderful contribution to football being made by the black players' ?

Spotting that players are black is timeless, so perhaps that's not a good example for your line of questioning.
Any commentator might say that today and it won't be racist.
"coloured people" does sound ignorant, and esp. since it's from Ron Atkinson. He was holding back from saying worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here